Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 21st, 2003, 11:35 AM
lvu2cruise

Default help!!! do i change my booking on Holiday 4/17/03

hi cruisers , need a little help, has anyone been on the holiday this year , am reading alot of reviews that the ship is in very poor condition ,and it shakes , because of hitting a sandbar twice .
Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2003, 01:44 PM
LHP

Default Re: help!!! do i change my booking on Holiday 4/17/03

Luv2cruise: I am assuming this is not your first cruise. If it is your first cruise, I would not recommend the Holiday. I have sailed exclusively with Carnival for over 20 years, so it is not that I am blasting Carnival. In fact, we are headed out on Number 16 in a couple of weeks. All with Carnival. That being said....let's look at the hard facts.

What you have to decide is if this cruise is worth the money you paid? This is one of the oldest ships that Carnival is still sailing....so yes, it will look worn. But I have seen stains on the carpets at The Cloister (a 5 star if ever there was one) and it did not affect my stay. If you are the kind of person that this will bother...then you need to rethink.

As for the running aground. I have talked with someone who was on that cruise. Yes, it ran aground and they missed Cozumel because of it. They went to Key West, but weather prevented them from staying there very long and provided a bumpy ride back home. What you don't know, is that Carnival credited every person $150.00 each and gave them a 50% off on their next cruise.

Now anyone that slams Carnival on that trip is not being honest. First, it is my understanding that as long as the Holiday in in the Mississippi River, it is being guided by a pilot boat. Regardless of whether it was being guided or the captain was in charge....the mouth of the Mississippi River changes quickly due to shifting sedament. The ship was only stuck for 10 minutes....it was the COAST GUARD that did not clear the ship until the next day, that caused the delay. So while briefly getting stuck may have been "Carnival's fault" , the prolonged delay was not. Carnival can't be blamed for the weather either. All things considered, I believe Carnival did more than their fair share to compensate for the inconvenience; when a majority of things that went wrong, was out of Carnival's control.

Again, that is all part of traveling. You have to expect that everything is not ever going to go exactly (or sometimes not at all) as we planned. That's traveling.

Personally, I would sail on the Holiday again in a heart beat....because we are seasoned travelers and make our own good time where ever we go. And it would be worth the money to me. You are the only one that can decide if it is worth the money to you. Instead of dwelling on the two times it got stuck...look at the YEARS it has been sailing around the Caribbean without getting stuck. If you are afraid of it getting stuck and ruining your cruise....book the Conquest and pay the extra bucks!

The bottom line is yes, the Holiday is old and needs some TLC....she will probably be retiring soon. But I still think she is a good ride for the dollar. Only you can decide if she is a good ride for YOUR dollar. I don't recommend the Holiday for first time cruisers, because it is not a fair represenation of the cruising world!! But if it is worth the dollar to you, go with the attitude that you are going to have good time no matter what....and you will!!!
Old February 21st, 2003, 01:45 PM
First Mate

Hi! I wouldn't go on the Holiday but that's just my opinon. I've been on 4 carnival cruises and am going on my fifth on in May. That ship is one of the oldest in the fleet and not near as awesome as the rest of the Carnival ships. It doesn't have the 7 story atrium which is fascinating to look at in itself. I haven't been on this ship but have been on the Tropicale, which was about as old as the Holiday and it's not near as cool as the other ships. A co-worker of mine went on the Holiday for New Years Eve and they just didn't enjoy themselves. He said there wasn't a lot to do on the days at sea, he said they were really lacking in activities on the Holiday.

If cost is an issues, look around. With fares so lows these days, you should be able to book something on a much nicer ship for about the same price!

Good luck!
Old February 21st, 2003, 01:49 PM
cruisepimp

I would go on the Holiday and hope for electrical failure... 50 percent off future cruise plus immediate 150 shipboard credit is killer deal to be only slightly inconvienced.
Old February 21st, 2003, 01:58 PM
Yeoman

With all the specials abounding right now, I kow you can do better than that with your buck!
Old February 21st, 2003, 02:00 PM
LHP

Default Re: Re: help!!! do i change my booking on Holiday 4/17/03

BTW, the guy that was on that February 6th cruise that got stuck had a BLAST. I would tell you where to read the review...but it is on a competing cruising website and I don't want to be disrespectful to this site.

Just remember that when you read a review...an honest one will be balanced with all the facts good and bad. If there is something someone did not like, they will be specific...(ie not enough activities etc). As Andrea was saying..there are certain specific things her friends did not like about the cruise....that is an honest review. Then YOU can decide if it is worth the money to you.

But when you read a review that only states the bad (like the guy on Reader Review for this Feb 6th cruise)...you can be assured they are not telling you the whole story and that is not an honest review. He did not tell you about the $150.00 per person credit given and 50% coupon that Carnival gave everyone. And when someone starts blaming Carnival for Mother Nature and other things out of Carnival's control...then that is someone that doesn't need to be traveling; because he doesn't have the stomach for it. And he certainly doesn't need to be ruining everyone's evaluation with his whining. Honest reviews are the best way to see if a ship is worth YOUR money. And someone who does a whining (yes I am a brat ) review ..is not being honest or fair to you or the cruise line they were on.

But then I have been in at the Sea of Galilee when Israel was shelling Lebanon and I still had a BLAST (no pun intended).....
Old February 21st, 2003, 02:58 PM
jay2002

I didn't know you could change a booking once you had it. Im sailing on the Holiday 3/24 and am very excited. I have read all the review (even the guy stuck in the mud of the Mississippi) and have found that there are 3 good review for every bad on. I believe a vacation is what you make it. My daughter and I are sailing with a friend and her daughter so we will have a good time. If I do nothing but eat and sleep it will be a relief from my stressful job....When I return I'll give you the details......
Old February 21st, 2003, 03:17 PM
lvu2cruise

Default Re: Re: help!!! do i change my booking on Holiday 4/17/03

well LHP ,your right it isnt my first cruise this will be our 16 ,and its not for the money or how old the ship is, its the fact that i was reading about the bad condition its in and its shaking of it ,and for your comment about the $150 credit plus 50% off next sailing .I would care if the cruise was for free if the ship needs alot of TLC then bring it to dry dock and fix it.Carnival isnt sayinf ( hey great deal on holiday $$$$because our ship isnt working right and sail on your own risk ,come and join us stuck on a sandbar ...etc)and for your (Instead of dwelling on the two times it got stuck...look at the YEARS it has been sailing around the Caribbean without getting stuck.What are you talking about ONLY what other ship you know this has happen to in 3 months.Your right they should wait until it happens agian and maybe it then take in water and sink .You tell me when should they say ok lets put her to bed she offer great sailing and happiness in her days