Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 23rd, 2003, 11:23 PM
M. Jackson

Default Caught The Virus - Carnival Doesn't Care !

I caught the virus on my New Year's Eve Trip and never experienced such violent gastrointestinal episodes, uncontrolable, on going for hours, coming out from everywhere (certainly you can imagine - I don't want to be that graphic). Not only did I have to pay double for this trip as a single person, but I actually paid nearly four times the amount because it was a holiday voyage. Well, I wanted to go and if only I knew what was in store for me. I had to pay that money to get violently ill and I was charged a doctors fee too for $175.00! I am not turned off about cruising, but I am permanently turned off with CARNIVAL CRUISE LINES... When I called to complain and wanted restitution for the experience, looking for maybe an apology and half off on a future cruise, that would have made up for it - but wishful thinking... I was HUNG UP ON by a Customer Care Representative, who did not care at all and told me the cruise line is never responsible for passengers getting sick... I wanted to laugh, it is in the midst of a major epidemic ! WHO IS CARNIVAL KIDDING !!! BUYER BEWARE - sail on a cruise line that cares about it's passengers. Carnival puts on such phoney airs, they want your money, when they get you, they will show you their true colors - I have even expeeienced people in the Purser's office who were not very kind about the situation... CARNIVAL HAS LOST MY BUSINESS FOREVER AND THAT OF ALL MY FRIENDS - BEST ADVICE - DO NOT SAIL CARNIVAL !!!
Sponsored Links
Old February 24th, 2003, 04:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Caught The Virus - Carnival Doesn't Care !

I know why they hung up. I only got through half of your complaint before i quit reading. Blame Carnival because you have no one to cruise with, on a holiday, and not take insurance out for a small amount of 39.00. Get a virus that is no more Carnivals fault then the same virus that is in the Cleveland school system. It is everywhere. You just are lucky. Play the lottery!!!!!!!!
Old February 24th, 2003, 05:39 AM
Passenger

Here we go again!

Celebrity Horizon Sept 04 Bermuda
Carnival Liberty Sept 05 Western Mediterranean

Old February 24th, 2003, 06:05 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Caught The Virus - Carnival Doesn't Care !

Hmmm do you think if I get a paper cut on my up coming cruise that Carnival will at LEAST give me a half refund of the cost of the cruise. Do you all realize how difficult it will be to eat with that cut, and let alone swim, gamble etc...come on Carnival get with it!
Sorry just was in a scarstic mood today
Mary Margaret
Old February 24th, 2003, 07:52 AM
Admiral

He/she has a case. I, too, had a problem on my Carnival cruise. The soap. I'm sensitive to the soaps used by hotels in general, and Carnival's soap gave me a rash.

How dare they be so insensitive to my needs! I demand calamine! I demand cortisone! I demand a free cruise! I demand a live hen on board to deliver fresh eggs for my beer!

I suggest M. Jackson file complaints with the makers of timepieces and the printers of calendars since the timing for the fruition of the virus could not have been worse, admittedly. It is certainly not Carnival's fault.

Steve
Old February 24th, 2003, 08:13 AM
mommabee

Regarding the 39.00 insurance, does this cover getting sick??? What exactly does this cover?
Old February 24th, 2003, 10:38 AM
Passenger

I disagree. I think if the ship has an on-board virus (that is caused by bad food, poor ventilitation, etc0> I do think Carnival should do something about it. Giving a person a credit to a future cruise would be responsible. And hanging up on a customer, there is NO excuse for that (unless the customer is being beligerant or cursing or something). I am leaving on my first cruise (with Carnival) on Sunday, so maybe I'm a newbie and don't know what I'm talking about, but I think this person was not very well taken care of.
Old February 24th, 2003, 11:09 AM
First Mate

Monicnuck

The virus the poster is talking about is the norwalk virus. It is nbot caused by bad food poor ventlation etc. It is brought aboard by other passengers. What kind of compensation would you expect if you got the flu at work, your child got the flu at school, etc. etc. etc.
Old February 24th, 2003, 11:13 AM
Admiral

Before you cruise or travel with any crowd again, get a Flu Shot! Illness happens everywhere.
Old February 24th, 2003, 11:44 AM
First Mate

When you are inclosed areas with that many people there is always a chance you may get sick. I do not the cruise line is responsible for something that is as common as the common cold, as far as paying double for your cruise that is your
problem
Old February 24th, 2003, 02:03 PM
First Mate

I went on the Tropicale for my very first cruise. We were in Cozumel getting into our cab to Carlos n Charlies. As I was getting into my cab, I sliced my hand on something sharp in the cab. It immediately started to bleed and by the time I got to the pursers desk, I had blood literally dripping down my arm. When I got to the Pursers Desk, I cut to the front of the line and the Purser looked at me and the blood running down my arm and said "I'll be with you in a minute." The next guy in line looked at me and said "please, go ahead."

Now that I look back on it, it's funny to me but for someone to look at someone else with blood dripping down their arm and saying I'll be right with you is a joke! I didn't get upset because it looked more serious than it really was but I can understand the feelings being expressed here. I just chalked it up to the fact that this person was non American, not customer service oriented at all, and was just doing her job which was helping the people in line one after the other. If it had been my turn and I had not cut in line, I'm sure she would have helped me right away!

I don't hold this incident against Carnival in any way. I just wanted to get a band aid and get back in my cab to Carlos n Charlies!
Old February 24th, 2003, 05:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Caught The Virus - Carnival Doesn't Care !

it would have taken care of his 175.00 doc. bill
Old February 24th, 2003, 06:11 PM
susancruzs

Just for information, I was on a cruise for 13 days and after the 4th day, people were getting various types of sickness and I've never seen so many people with colds, coughs, pneumonia, it was unbelievable. Two elderly people died from pneumonia complications, it was almost scarey being onboard.

I went down to the medical area one day and the line was huge! The charges I incurred were quite high and I thought, what the heck, I bought insurance, let's see what happens! I was shocked when I got a check for 80% of the charges and very pleasantly surprised. I always buy insurance and I would say the extra 35, 50 or 75, I pay for it is well worth it.

I didn't think of asking the cruise line for something because I was ill. It is just the luck of the draw.

Susie
Old February 24th, 2003, 06:16 PM
First Mate

That would be like saying I am not going Grocery shopping any more because I got the flu from a shopping cart handle. Well Think of what you are saying. Carnival didnt bring a virus on board so that you could get sick. My grandson gave me the flu. What should I do to him???? HAHA Just that funny to blame the cruise line.
Old February 24th, 2003, 06:29 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Caught The Virus - Carnival Doesn't Care !

M Jackson, the boards have been saturated with posts regarding the virus. Have you not read anything at all on the subject? It's not Carnival's fault you got sick. There are precautions that you could have taken yourself. Carnival is not a fault. As for your infirmary bill, if you have medical insurance they should reimburse for your expense. Otherwise chock it up to a hard lesson learned!

Golden Princess 12/04
Galaxy 1/04
Elation 2/03
Enchantment of the Seas 4/02
Fantasy 11/01
Triumph 4/01
Sensation 4/97
Old February 24th, 2003, 08:48 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Caught The Virus - Carnival Doesn't Care !

Heard about a person who was on a Carnival ship and went on deck while in port. A seagull crapped on their head.
Now, I'm sure there are a few who would want to make Carnival responsible for that too.

It's the same old " had a bad day--trip--week or something so-- someone owes me " !!!
Old February 25th, 2003, 05:25 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Caught The Virus - Carnival Doesn't Care

Ron, that's why the ancient mariners always wore hats in port. Can you imagine anyone suing a cruise line for a new hairdo? I'm sure someone will try it, sooner or later, with all those starving lawyers.

Steve

Post Edited (02-25-03 06:11)
Old February 25th, 2003, 10:19 AM
Admiral

Folks,
This was started by someone using a fake name so how much creedance do you want to give him? Smae old story, someone looking for something for nothing and blaming everyone for everything. This may well be totally untrue and completely fabracated but even if it was true....he should have known the costs and he did agree to them, he turned down cheap insurance, he did not research, he blames others for something that is common everywhere and not just on a ship, he gets madder because somebody did want to listen to his abuse over the phone and hung up on him. Tough.
Jim

Old February 25th, 2003, 07:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Caught The Virus - Carnival Doesn't Care

hmmm wish i would have thought of this one myself. lol very good!!!
Old February 25th, 2003, 07:15 PM
Passenger

My thoughts on the sickness-- please, don't blame the cruise lines for a virus that no amount of antibiotics will cure. I have seen so many sick people this winter with flu type A & B, etc..... If you are going to be sick, then there is not too much anyone can do to prevent it! Sure, it is not fun having that type of sickness, however, anyone can get it- ANYWHERE, ANYTIME-- and on VACATION.
Old February 26th, 2003, 01:01 PM
L Galloway

I can't believe how insensitive all these responses are to this person! I mean, none of us are doctors so it's not fair to "assume" what this person contracted on this cruise. It amazes me that most ships alternate between 3 and 4 day cruises, meaning if it leave port on thursday and comes back on sunday morning, then by noon on that same day they are boarding new passengers. I mean, how much disinfection can they possibly be doing? As for the customer service people hanging up, there are two views...perhaps this person just kept going on and on and on, but at that point they should have offered to get a supervisor. They call it customer service for a reason. I am booked on a June sailing with Carnival and already dislike their customer service people. I had a booking on Royal Caribbean our usual cruise line of choice, but contacted Carnival to see what they had to offer. I was told if we booked the cruise, even with the travel agent we were using for at least the category 6A ocean view, and paid our deposit within 5 days (by the date the offer ended) we'd get an automatic upgrade to a category 6C. We rushed to pay the deposit which was 600.00 for a family of 4 and gave our travel agent the "code" the rep gave me. They would not honor it. I called back and was told by two different reps that an upgrade would be likely, but isn't guaranteed and that there was no such offer (which by the way was plainly posted on their website). When I asked for a supervisor I was told they wouldn't be of any assistance and she ended the call. I called back and asked for a supervisor only to have to repeat the whole story again and still got no satisfaction. I really hope this is no indication of how our cruise will be. So, don't be so quick to discount this persons claim.