Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 25th, 2003, 09:22 AM
Shortypots

Default Tips for 1st timers?

Alright, folks, I leave for my very first Carnival cruise on 3/7 (Fascination to the Bahamas), and I need all the tips I can get! Especially because my husband is not overly thrilled to be going on a cruise in the first place. The only reason he decided to go is because it is a short cruise. How can I make the best of it, and make him want to go over and over again?

Thanks for the help!
Shorty
Sponsored Links
Old February 25th, 2003, 09:40 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Tips for 1st timers?

Shorty,
Getting him to want to go again will most likley take care of itself. <G> Actually you may have to hold him back from booking the first one he sees after you return. The general idea is to 'be' a cruiser and go along with the program. If you are active then join in the activities, go to the shows, go dancing, dress up for dinner, talk to others and get involved. Know and set aside the suggested tip amount so you don't have that to worry about, get a large table and get to know your fellow cruisers, in Nassau go to the beach, go to Atlantis, or just go shopping and wander around town on your own, whatever you think will be fun for you. Go to our cruise review area and see what others have done on the same ship and ports, learn as much as you can about cruising, the ship, and the ports, and this is the best place to do so. Come to the chat at night and talk to other cruisers for hints. Heck, we even have a "first time cruiser' message board.
Jim

Old February 25th, 2003, 09:51 AM
Admiral

Plan, research, and balance: Plan what you want to do at each port before you board the ship- got copy of ships tours from Carnival or at least get a good Cruise Travel Guide Book of the Caribbean - Frommer's Foder's Berlitz, etc use a highlighter for things that you would like to do/see. Research those things that interest BOTH of you. At every port don't just go to the beach, vary your day trips on shore maybe including a few hours at the beach. Balance out your day with activity and relaxation that way you will not come home needing another vacation. If you plan to shop for souvenirs, do it at one port rather than every port. You can grab a t-shirt right near every port. On ship, encourage your partner to "do his or her" activity without you, so you will both have something to share and talk about later. At sea, relax, go to the dining room for breakfast or lunch as it is a slower pace and you may meet new people. Wear a smile and be happy, you are on vacation.
Bon Voyage
Old February 25th, 2003, 09:52 AM
Shortypots

Default Re: Re: Tips for 1st timers?

Alright, now I am really concerned! My husband is not the type to enjoy socializing, dressing up, gambling, dancing, or even participating in activities (Although, I can probably get him to participate in the Ping Pong tournament). I have been told by several of his friends that he would make a very good hermit. He even told me that he wants to bring his laptop with him so he can play games! Is a cruise a good choice for him?

He thinks the only things he is going to enjoy is the port of Nassau and drinking as much as he wants.

Does anyone know if the Fascination has Karaoke on it? I love Karoake!

thanks!
Shorty
Old February 25th, 2003, 10:38 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Tips for 1st timers?

They do indeed have Karaoke on the four day anyway. Not sure about the three day as it is a very quick cruise. If he is willing to stand in front of people and sing, he will like to get involved, it is contagious.
Jim

Old February 25th, 2003, 11:39 AM
Sue Sue

Shorty, take a deep breath....let it out....slowly....ahh. Now, didn't that feel good. You probably know by now all about the activites available for your upcoming cruise. And believe me, there are a lot of activities. One thing you do not want to do is overwhelm yourself or hubby. First of all, get to the embarkation site early. Take a book and wait if you have too. One thing is you don't want to do is add being rushed to your intinerary. If hubby wants to take the laptop to play, fine. Then once on board, unload your stuff and explore the ship. Purchase the first beverage with some sort or umbrella thingy in it and get yourselves acquainted with the layout of your ship. Afterwards, listen up for instructions for your Muster Drill, signing up for shore excursions if you desire and what the evenings schedule holds for you. Dress for dinner, walk about the ship and take it easy. There are usually printed schedules that are in your cabin that will tell you what is going on the next day. Together, choose a tentative plan and go for it. (Don't forget your highlighter). If the plan needs to be changed, then go for it. If you find something else instead....GO FOR IT!. Are you getting my...drift? Cruising is great, just let it happen and your hubby should be able to find his niche. My husband's and my most favorite activity on board, is, NO activity. We have our "special place" that we take our books, or laptop with GPS and veg away some time with the warm tropical breeze flowing by our relaxed suntanned souls. Ahh, I can feel it now. Then , when the day is over, as you drift off to sleep, think about what your most favorite thing was and look forward to a new adventure for the next day.
Old February 25th, 2003, 12:21 PM
Admiral

Doesn't sound to me as though the husband wants to get involved with the activities and such, as others are suggesting he do. Then don't do it! Lay around in the sun on the ship and have the servers bring drinks all day while you listen to the music. There is an arcade area on board where he can play the video arcade games if he wants. Eat in the buffet area and don't dress for dinner. Or order room service and play games on the laptop.

It was hard as h3ll getting my brother-in-law to go on the first one. He was the same way. But once he was onboard and sitting in the lounge drinking a beer and watching the ship sail away he was like......................"cool!"

Regards,
Thomas