Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 26th, 2003, 10:04 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to Brit
Default If you could buy one nice piece of jewelry where and what?

When we vacation, I like to avoid buying 'stuff' and instead buy one nice piece of jewelry or art that I can keep for a life time. I like the jewelry to offer an extraordinary value for the area. Such as Jade from Hong Kong.

We are going to three ports, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, or Montego Bay. What item would you recommend and could you recommend a reputable dealer to purchase from? Many thanks! Frugal and seeking value laced with quality!
Sponsored Links
Old February 26th, 2003, 03:07 PM
Admiral

Default Re: If you could buy one nice piece of jewelry where and wha

Cozumel and Silver. Think .952 (I think) stamped heavy gauge uniqe design necklace, bracelet and earings. There are some absolutely beautiful sets in Coz that you won't find in the USA. Just make sure it is genuine and will not turn your skin green. If a guy with long sleeves (in 90 degree heat) or a towel wrapped on his arm tries to sell you silver, run don't walk the other way! Los Cincos del Sol used to have nice pieces, but there are so many shops, I can't remember any special names. Grand Cayman is known for its Torguero Rum Cakes, Jamaica for Coffee.
Bon voyage
Old February 26th, 2003, 03:14 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: If you could buy one nice piece of jewelry where and

Perfect. Exactly the type of info I was looking for! Thanks...
Old February 26th, 2003, 04:10 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: If you could buy one nice piece of jewelry where

I heard from my doctor about a shop in Georgetown, GC that sold black coral jewelry. I mentioned it to my wife . She found the shop and bought the most expensive souvenir she has ever bought, a black coral ring. It's beautiful, but never mind how much I'm paying for it. I'm sure they offer less expensive merchandise. You'll see the shop directly across the street from the pier. Don't let HER go alone!<>

Steve
Old February 26th, 2003, 08:25 PM
LHP

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: If you could buy one nice piece of jewelry w

Steve is right. Grand Cayman is known for the Black Coral (Richard ???) and he is retiring (this year I thinK) so his stuff will only go up. I think the only other place he is sold is in New Orleans. Anyway, if you are into watches....don't forget Kirk's for Rolex. Got mine on the New Years Eve cruise and LOVE IT!!!!
Old February 26th, 2003, 08:44 PM
The Harts

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: If you could buy one nice piece of jewel

The harvesting of black coral is being stopped for a period of 10 years!! The gallery is in Grand Cayman near the port!! When you get off the tender it's across the street to the right!! I know it's in an alley on the second floor!! I was told on the ship that if the value( appraisial) dosen't increase 200% in two years that the gallery will refund your money and you keep the piece!! When you see the pictures of past customers in the gallery you'll understand!! They have pictures of so many peole it's amazing, from the Pope to Presidents. The who's who of American rich and famous!! They even have some of the Dinner ware that were wedding presents to Charles and Diana!!
This guy is amazing!!!!!!!
Old February 27th, 2003, 10:04 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: If you could buy one nice piece of j

Is it legal to bring black coral to the US???

Also, as for the silver in Cozumel - don't buy any from the cruise terminal. All the stuff I saw there was very cheap and pliable and you could bend it with your fingers. And, it did have those numbers stamped on it.

Just be careful!!

Jenni
Old February 27th, 2003, 11:06 AM
The Harts

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: If you could buy one nice piece

Yes you can bring it back into the USA after you declare it's value!!
Old February 27th, 2003, 02:32 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: If you could buy one nice piece of j

Wow, what price range should I expect, for say a ring or a braclet?
Old February 27th, 2003, 02:35 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: If you could buy one nice pi

Yes be careful with the silver. We found some less than quality stuff even though it was stamped. Myself, in Mexico esp I absolutely love the Australian fire opal. It has the hues of the sea and I am in complete awe of these pieces. It is expensive however so I am still dreaming of the day when I can afford a small piece. You will find these at any fine jewelry store.

As for the rum cakes, they are overrated. Now eat all the samples you can get because it is better than the product you buy. Instead buy a bottle of the Tortuga rum and locate a copy of the rum cake recipe using yellow cake mix and where it calls for water substitute that with rum in addition to the rum it already calls for. That is the best rum cake!

In Jamaica definately the blue mountain coffee but be sure it has the seal that it is 100% blue mountain beans. Very smooth coffee. Also at the "flea market", I loved the paintings from the locals. They were indeed reasonable priced.
Old February 27th, 2003, 02:41 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: If you could buy one nice piece of jewelry w

http://www.caymanblackcoral.com

Is this the place? Thanks so much for the info. I will contact them.
Old March 5th, 2003, 06:39 PM
Jamiegunter

We just got back from a cruise last sunday. In Grand Caymen you can get pretty much any kind of jewerly you like. They are the brand name place. In Cozumel we seen specials on pearls, I bought some. Also the Silver too. If you are cruising Carnival, go to the shop and talk that they will have before you get to any ports of call. They will tell you what are the good stores and where to get certain things. And they have a 30 day guarantee if you shop at their recommended stores. Good luck and have fun!
Old March 6th, 2003, 11:31 PM
Sooshie

Default Don't forget the Tanzanite!

I have been on 3 cruises and purchased a piece of Tanzanite on each one. One thing the ship jewelry stores offer that you cannot get while in port is a 1 year return policy with no questions asked. By doing this you can bring it home to your jeweler and have it "appraised" to determine whether or not you truly got a good deal. Last October I purchased a Tanzanite tennis bracelet on the Monarch. My jeweler could not match the price without taking away from the quality. I love my bracelet and each time I wear it I can remember the great cruise we had. Tanzanite will become more rare as it is only mined in one mine in Tanzania (hence the name). I have gotten my entire collection of Tanzanite so it will be time to move on to another stone on my next cruise...what will it be???
Old March 7th, 2003, 01:47 AM
Passenger

I would definitly buy black opal from St Thomas or any of the islands I could get a good price! It is Beautiful!
Old March 7th, 2003, 08:07 AM
Passenger

Ohhhhh......one of my favorite subjects! Brit, sounds like you & I would be great shopping mates on vacation! I have been blessed to have picked up the following souvenirs - many years ago - an exquisite gold & damond watch in Nassau, a beautiful tanzanite, australian opal & diamond ring in Maui, a diamond heart pendant and a gold bracelet in St. Thomas, a sunburst pendant in Belize. Also, I always purchase a charm for my *travel* charm bracelet in each port or city that I travel to. Can't wait for my next cruise in June!

NCL's STAR - Alaska 6/06/04
Sensation - W. Caribbean 2/21/04
Inspiration - W. Caribbean 6/8/03
Pride - W. Caribbean 6/02
NCL's Sky - Alaska 6/01
Fantasy - Bahamas 6/97
HAL's Zaandam - E. Caribbean 6/00
HAL's Ryndam - Alaska 9/98
Old March 7th, 2003, 11:42 AM
Yeoman

On my last cruise I bought a 6.5 ct. tanzanite solitaire ring surrounded by one carat of diamonds, set in 18 K gold. Purchased at Diamonds International, a very reputable company.
Old March 9th, 2003, 06:50 PM
Carol F-C

It used to be (may still be?) illegal to bring black coral into the US. Coral reefs are endangered. Sorry to be a spoilsport but jewelry could be taken from you at Customs.
Old March 9th, 2003, 09:16 PM
First Mate

Black coral!!!! Bernard Passman is 82 and retiring soon, signs each piece, can find something from $100 on up! Located in both St. Thomas, Grand Cayman, and New Orleans. Richard's Black Coral is located right at the pier in Grand Cayman. Both of these shops are more expensive than buying black coral without someone's grand signature at other shops guaranteed by Carnival Ships. Beautiful, beautiful jewelry at reasonable prices!

RCL x5: Majesty of the Seas, Sovereign of the Seas, Freedom of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas

Celebrity x1: Century

Princess x3: Caribbean Princess x3, Dawn Princess

NCL x1: NCL Spirit