Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 2nd, 2003, 12:38 PM
L. GAlloway

Default notarized paternal permission letter?

I just read an old posting about a paternal permission letter? Most of these concerned Mexico is that also necessary for Bahamas itinerary? In our case we are divorced and I have sole custody would I still need to get a letter like this? and how is it done by a notary if both parents are in different states? please help.
Sponsored Links
Old March 2nd, 2003, 04:21 PM
Admiral

Default Re: notarized paternal permission letter?

I would suggest to get it period, just in case. If you have custody then only the other parent needs to give their permission and have it notorized. This was the very case for my son several years back and while so folksposted that Carnival did not ask for it I had the letter and gave it freely. I would hate to get to port and that would be the one time I did not have and they asked for it, so go prepared. You don't need to sign it because you have custody of the child.
Old March 2nd, 2003, 06:26 PM
sunhoney64

Default Re: Re: notarized paternal permission letter?

We went on Disney to the Eastern Carribean two years ago. I am remarried and took my son, who has a different last name and no one said a word about it. I never even gave it a thought, but it was pre 9/11. I think you will be fine. Especially since you have sole custody. If you arent on good terms with the ex, I would simply take my divorce paper stating that you have sole custody.
Old March 2nd, 2003, 06:52 PM
Admiral

Sole custody or not, you need the letter signed and notorized by the other parent, (the non-custodial one). This came about because of some parents that have left the US jurisdiction to prevent the other parent form excerciseing their parential rights. You probably will not be asked for it but if you are asked, you better have it or they can deny boarding. In other words, better safe than sorry.
Jim

Old March 3rd, 2003, 08:37 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: notarized paternal permission letter?

Yes L Galloway, get the letter! They may or may not ask for it but if they do want it would you want to be stuck not getting on the ship because you followed some ill-advice? When I took my daughter only to MX they asked for the letter from my husband, on the cruise they did not ask but then I did provide it so who knows. That was back in 1997. Get the letter by all means, much better to be safe than sorry!
Old March 3rd, 2003, 12:57 PM
L Galloway

Default Re: Re: Re: notarized paternal permission letter?

Update for those who may be curious. I called Carnival direct and here is the low down on the paternal permission letter. First, I don't need one. The letter is only required first of all for stops in Mexico and then only if your excursion is to be more than 24 hours.

Even then it only applies if:
a. you are divorced then you must have a letter
b. you are traveling with any child that is not your own.

this is why. Mexico will not extradite anyone back to the U.S. so it would make kidnapping a child too easy. So in that respect Carnival is being responsible in doing this. Hope this might help someone else.
Old March 3rd, 2003, 02:58 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: notarized paternal permission letter?

It actually applies to anyone that is traveling by themself with a minor or any couple traveling with a minor with a differant name. The want to know why specifically for the reason of child kidnappings, They have no idea if the missing parent is divorced, separated, dead, or sitting home watching TV. Bring a notorized letter, you will probably not need it but if you do it is there and saves headaches.
Jim

Post Edited (03-03-03 14:59)
Old March 3rd, 2003, 03:27 PM
Passenger

Default : Re: Re: Re: Re: notarized paternal permission letter?

we are leaving thursday on carnival to cozumel. however,we will only be there from 8-4. i have not talked to my ex in about 5 years. it would be a major hassle to get this done. does anyone think i should try and get a letter anyway? surely its not necessary for such a short stay.
Old March 3rd, 2003, 09:30 PM
Admiral

Default Re: : Re: Re: Re: Re: notarized paternal permission letter?

Yes. Far be it for me to even suggest you do anything improper but, somehow you should have a letter in your hand saying it is okay to take her. Either that or maybe your ex is no longer alive? <G>
Jim

Old March 4th, 2003, 12:27 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: notarized paternal permission letter?

I hate to complicate this issue, but what about students traveling with their school on a Carnival ship? My 15 year old daughter is going to be on the Jubilee in late April. Her High School Choir and Dance group is slated to perform on one of the nights. She is a lead dancer in one of the performances and I would hate for her to be the *one* that is singled out.

When I spoke to the teacher organizing this cruise he told me that not once in all the years he's been doing this trip has he encountered any questions regarding any of the students in the group. I do not have contact with my ex and getting a letter of this kind would be very difficult.

What documentation will she need? Will her birth certificate be enough? Do I need to get her a passport? What about a state issued picture ID? All of this has me concerned and I've yet to hear a consistant response.

Thanks for any info!

deja

booking soon - 10th anniversary cruise in August....
Old March 4th, 2003, 07:04 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: notarized paternal permission letter?

Deja, I am sure that you will be signing a permission slip and medical release slip?! My daughter is going to NYC next month with her school and I will be signing those. As for the other items, you need to get with the school/person who is organizing this trip.
Old March 4th, 2003, 12:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Here's a breakdown of these scenarios and possible solutions:

To everyone who needs such a letter and may find it difficult to get :
You might be able to obtain 'permission' from the court itself where the custody issue was adjudicated. This constitutes a document, filed and signed by the family court judge, which allows you, the CUSTODIAL PARENT, to take your child anywhere anytime. This is especially useful when the NON custodial parent lives in another state. Sometimes the judge will simply call that person on the phone, other times they may be required to submit a permission letter...it just depends on your situation. But these documents are INVALUABLE to the custodial parent and you should call your attorney to see if it's possible to get one. This document is a legal ORDER from the court, and the Mexican authorities will accept it in lieu of a "notarized letter".

Re: Termination of Parental Rights: If you have obtained an order through family court, terminating the non custodial parents parental rights, you do not need any letter. Your court documents PROVE that you are the sole legal parent and that the court has terminated the other parents rights. The final document in such a case is usually a pleading entitled: "ORDER TERMINATING PARENTAL RIGHTS".

If you have joint custody and the other parent lives in another state: You can sweet talk them into a letter giving all permission for travel outside the US. Just tell that person to have it notarized where they live and mail the ORIGINAL to you.

Hope this helps. As always, you should consult an ATTORNEY for all these matters. Nobody should have to deal with a Legal Haunting . That's when something comes back to haunt you in court later.

Old March 4th, 2003, 01:31 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: notarized paternal permission letter?

Angela has given some very good advice. Better safe than sorry. As for Deja, you daughter will need for herself a state issued Birth Certificate with a raised seal if your state uses them, (NO COPIES), AND a state or government issued ID, (A school ID is acceptable). In addition you will need to sign permission slips for travel outside the USA and medical permission slips but the school should provide them for you. If they say they don't need them, raise cain and tell them they darn well do and better come up with them or they could very well find themselves standing on the dock waving bye-bye to the ship with a hundred very upset kids with them. That is no joke either.
Jim

Old March 4th, 2003, 04:25 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: notarized paternal permission letter

Thank you Jim and Angela for all that good advice. I was able to contact my ex (who happens to live in the same town I do - but hasn't seen his kids in years - sad, his choice - long story - go figure)....
He has agreed to write the letter and have it notorized. I'd better hear back from him soon on this or I will be seriously frothing.

The school's organizer of this trip has seemed so casual about all my direct questions to him! I'd think by taking on the responsibility of a group of children (that is what they are! High School students are still children) that he would be more comforting and absolute in his answers to my queries.

Since they are performing, the cruise was deeply discounted - and a bargain it was for the adventure and experience they will be getting!

There is a parent meeting planned and I am sure it will all be spelled out for us at that time.

In the meantime - she had her HS issued picture ID and her original birth certificate complete with the raised seal. All should go smoothly. I'd hate to see any one of those kids stranded in Galveston! We live in northern NJ. Ugh - can't even think about that! I know she is one of many children from divorced parents going.

Again - thanks so much for the information!

deja

booking soon - 10th anniversary cruise in August....
Old March 4th, 2003, 05:23 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: notarized paternal permission le

Deja, don't assume they will spell it out at the parent/teacher meeting. At the one I went too they were so disorganized and the lack of information they supplied much less knew was appauling to say the least. Be sure to get answers to all your questions. I know you daughter will have alot of fun.
Old March 4th, 2003, 06:55 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: notarized paternal permission le

Deja, Nush is correct. Make sure it is brought up even if YOU have to do so. It is very important. Should one of the kids need medical attention it could literally be a matter of life and death. These are not just 'nice things to have', they are necessary.
Jim

Old March 4th, 2003, 08:45 PM
L. GAlloway

Default Re: : Re: Re: Re: Re: notarized paternal permission letter?

although i put the post out here I also did a follow up and again was told that it did not apply except for certain circumstances...best advice if in doubt call the cruise line.
Old March 6th, 2003, 02:54 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: notarized paternal permissio

I had to have one drawing up also because I am divorced from my first husband and have custody of my son. NOT ONCE, did Carnival or the Mexican authorites ask me for this letter. But, I didn't want to take that chance, even though carnival told me I wouldn't need it, I did it anyway. You just never know and you don't want to be unprepared.