My buddy and I are planning on taking a cruise from LA to Ensenada around June. We are both 25 and are looking for a) Women and b) Drinking. I would add that, for myself, I'd also like a relaxing little vacation, maybe stare out at the ocean for a little while. Here are my questions:
-We want to stay below $400 total ticket price/person. This looks possible from what I've seen. Any better deals out there? (I'm looking at the double-occupancy two bed model, not the bunks)
-I saw on the ship info that there is a mandatory gratuity listed for the service people. Is this a one-time fee, daily fee, etc?
-What is the normal price of a beer/mixed drink? (I swear this is a real question, my friend would be mad if I didn't ask!)
-Can you swim in the pool, or is it true that the water is ice-cold?
-Are the shore excursions free or do you have to pay for them?
-Approximate total price to have fun??
-Can I stare out at the ocean and relax in the day/night??
-Hopefully I don't sound too cheap, I'm not really
-Please don't take offense to the "looking for women" comment above..I mean, I'm a guy, what do you expect??
-Any other suggestions are appreciated!
1) you shoul,d have no problems staying under $400 pp
2) the gratuities are for the number of days on the ship. You can adjust that accordingly at the purser's desk.
3) for the drinks they have daily specials which are reasonable, I believe $2.95. Otherwise it was around $6 for mixed drink. Don't remember the price for beer (it's only been a month but since I didn't drink the beer I can't say)
4) you can swim in the pool but I don't so can't say if the water was cold or not. There are also hot tubs, which are not too hot but certainly comfortable.
5) shore excursions are not free. If you are adventuresome and can keep a handle on your time then forego the tours. We don't do tours anymore. We rent mopeds, etc and drive around.
6) price for fun, depends on what it takes for you. I don't need money to have fun. For me to see different things & culture is all it takes.
7) you can stare at the ocean all day and night. That is one of my favorite pastimes while at sea.
You can stay around your price. I find the drinks on the cruise ships to be about the same as any local bar/nightclub in my area. I think beer is $2.50 or $3.00. As for the excursions, it's fun to explore the ports by yourself. Find a taxi driver you can talk too! See what the prices are for the excursions and then you'll know what a good deal with your cabby will be.
When you say stay below 400 per person do you mean for your stateroom, excursions, and all extra's on board? If so, I will agree with the others you can probably do that, but keep in mind you will probably need to be flexible on when you choose to travel and the kind of stateroom you get. My husband and I sailed last year in June and we had an outside ocean view room, I couldn't go with less than a window because I have to be able to see daylight. We booked early and paid about 550-600 each for the cruise itself. That was for a 5 day though, so if you only do like a 3 day Bahamas or something then you should be okay. I would check around though, we have received prices that were as much as 250.00 difference from Travel companies that are in the same chain. It all depends on the agent, the volume of business they do, etc... Good luck!