Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 3rd, 2003, 11:06 AM
cruise_O_matic

Default Carnilal left without us!!!

Was to leave on the Carnival Pride on 02/22/03. Due to mechanical difficulties on U.S. AIRWAYS our flight was delayed 3.5 hours. we arrived in Orlando at 4:00 pm, the Cruise left at 4:00 from Cape Canaveral. 40 of us were later for the cruise. 10 perple were late for Disney and Norweigan. Carnival left without us, the other cruise lines waited for their people. I booked Flights and insurance with Carnival. U.S. Airways said that they are not responsible for 1 lost day. Carnical said thay are not responsible for 1 lost day. The Insurance Company that underwrites for Carnival, "BERKELEY CARE" said that is not covered!!! I guess that I am just screwed out of 1 full day of our cruise. It's pretty dirty business for them to handle all of your arrangements, sell you all of the "worthless" extras, then literally abandon you when you need to use them! Will never, ever consider using Carnival again, and I have cruised with them numerous times!!! Any suggestions???
Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2003, 11:29 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Carnilal left without us!!!

What you want to do is fly the day before the cruise if you book your own flight, if
you had booked the flight with Carnival they have to get you to the ship or they will wait for you.
Old March 3rd, 2003, 11:31 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

They will not always wait for late passengers, even those that booked air through the cruise line.

Old March 3rd, 2003, 11:37 AM
MichelleM

Default Re: Re: Carnilal left without us!!!

Sorry you had such a bad time but if you read the fine print it says they are responsible to get you to the ship, but not that it has to wait for you. They did get you to the next port it sounds like which is all they are technically responsible for.

I would suggest that you write Carnival a letter (in calm adult language) explaining what happened and how you were treated. That is about the best way to contact them with problems.
Old March 3rd, 2003, 12:44 PM
Admiral

Go back to your TA and let them handle this for you. It seems that you would be possibly due something for the delay and missing the first day at sea. Your TA should be able to tell you better what is and is not covered and should assist you. Sounds like more of a problem with the airline and the insurance agent than the cruiseline but who knows who might step up and help you.
Jim

Old March 3rd, 2003, 12:57 PM
First Mate

Exactly why we travel to our destination on the day before the cruise. Also it gives us a good nights rest and we are ready to begin our vacation all rested up. Sorry for all your problems. char
Old March 3rd, 2003, 01:03 PM
L Galloway

Similar thing happened on our cruise with Royal Caribbean last year. People were left behind in Cozumel that did not make it back to the ship on time. Royal Caribbean employees did not try to cover this fact up, but explained to passengers what happens in these cases. These couples had to get to Cancun (we were in Cozumel), fly to Miami and then catch a flight back to Grand Cayman to catch us at the next stop to get back on the ship. All of this is at their own expense so I am sure most people probably just flew home. If they didn't return to the ship then there luggage would be sent to them also at their expense. I worry so much about these kinds of things that we get in town a day early and stay in a hotel.
Old March 3rd, 2003, 01:54 PM
OBrienLads

Default Re: Re: Re: Carnilal left without us!!!

Nice idea, but not possible for everyone.
Old March 3rd, 2003, 02:20 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall

bbb - if you buy the air through the cruise line, they are only responsible for getting you to the ship - not hold the ship for you at embarkation - even if it means catching up to the ship at the first port of call. Does it stink that the poster missed the first sea day of the cruise? Yes, but the cruise line got them to the next port at their expense.

Old March 3rd, 2003, 02:34 PM
Admiral

In the case of someone missing the ship while they are on the cruise such as Cozumel, then it is entirely up to the individual to catch up to the ship and no cruiseline ever accepts responsibility for that. This is why it is very important to make sure you make it back to the ship in time for sailing as they cannot and will not wait for anyone, including crew.
Jim

Old March 3rd, 2003, 03:59 PM
susancruzs

Jim is absolutely correct here, and I don't care which cruise line it is. I often tell the story about two young ladies, relatively new to the Princess crew, that got left behind, of all places, Caracas, Venezuela!

Our bus waited for awhile but then the ship called and said because of tide conditions we had to get back and Caracas isn't a quick drive to the port! We got back well over an hour late and the ship left immediately. I later heard the girls were let go and told they could pick up their stuff in Los Angeles.

Schedules for ships are serious business, alot of factors enter into their keeping up with their time frame.

Susie
Old March 3rd, 2003, 04:16 PM
First Mate

Maybe not everyone can leave a day ahead of time. But i guess leaving a day ahead of time would have remedied this problem. This was something we have to arrange also with everyone. But it sure is a relief to know we are where we are suppose to be at the right time.
Old March 3rd, 2003, 06:56 PM
First Mate

CruiseOMatic , We bought the travel insurance through Carnival for our cruise in April. First let me say how sorry I am that this happen to you. It's is not a great way to start a trip! I do have a few questions regarding how this was handled.(Just in case something like this happens to us). Did you get reimbursed for expenses food, lodging etc for the first night? Did you have to pay anything for the flight to meet up with your Ship? We don't always take travel insurance(I know very risky)! This time we decided to take it. Being as we are going on a 16 day cruise, the rates for the co. that Carnival uses weren't that bad(119.00pp) thats only 20.00 more pp than a 7 night cruise. Another reason we went through Carnival is we thought that they might be easier to deal with if something happened. I figured they must have someone on the ship that could help you(or aleast help contact the insurance co.) Where as if you go through another co. and let say something happens at sea, how would you contact the independant insurance co? Like I said, I am new to purchasing ins. for travel, so I'd like to know for next time what the benefit is in going with another ins. co.?
Isn't one of the reasons we purchase travel ins., in case something happens while traveling to the ship? I would really like to know what was the outcome of this claim?
I hope everything turn out o.k in the end!!!
CLW
Old March 3rd, 2003, 07:21 PM
Admiral

A couple of posters were making reference to people who had been left behind in ports.
That is very likely the sole fault of the passengers themselves.

What happened to Cruise-o-matic was entirely out of his hands and there was nothing he could do. Hopefully since ( if I read the post correctly ) he had booked air and insurance through Carnival, some patient working with them will pay off.
That had to be a bad start to a vacation and I hope the rest went well for you.
Good luck.
Old March 3rd, 2003, 08:47 PM
Admiral

Ron - since he booked the air through Carnival, Carnival was responsible for getting them to the first port of call at the cruise line's expense (nowhere in the original post did the poster say they were out the money for air and hotels - just that they were upset about missing the first sea day.) As far as I am concerned, the cruise line fufilled their obligation by getting him to the ship at the first port of call - the drive from Orland to Port Canaveral is not a short one like in Fort Lauderdale.....I am not a shill for the cruise line, but hey, it's not Carnival's fault that the plane they were on had mechanical difficulties! To hold up a ship for 2+ hours (which is what it would have taken to claim luggage at Orlando, get on the bus and to the port and check these people in) is almost unheard of - if a half hour late, yes, I have seen them wait.

Old March 4th, 2003, 10:17 AM
Passenger

We had an engine quit on our flight to Newark last week for our 02/23/03 cruise on the Paradise. We had to make an emergency landing in Albany. It was on Continental, by the time they came to the gate to help, it was to late to get us to Miami in time to board the ship. If they had helped when we first landed in Albany we could have made it. By noon our TA, Carnival, and the people from Continental were all on the phone together, but there were no flights left. Our first port was two days into the cruise, and we were told they MIGHT be able to get us flights that SHOULD get us on the ship sometime Tuesday. We had them send us home. It took 12hr. to get a flight back to Burlington Vt. We will never go same day air again. Continental gave us vouchers for next years air, and they will pay for our pre-cruise hotel in Miami. Carnival gave a refund already for part of the air not used, and our insurance will pick up the rest. Now we just have to wait until 02/22/04 to take our cruise.
Old March 4th, 2003, 12:00 PM
First Mate

I've been on 17 cruises and I flew down the day before the sailing date for almost all of them.
I think going down the day before the cruise is the best way to go especially if it is the winter.
Old March 4th, 2003, 01:39 PM
Admiral

Heck folks, I drive to the port and most of the time we go a day early anyway! It is just so much more relaxing to get up and be right there and not rushed.
Jim

Old March 4th, 2003, 05:35 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Carnilal left without us!!!

Jim, I am with you. I will always make the necessary arrangements to leave a day ahead period. You just don't know what will happen. Even when we drive to port that is only 8 hours away we leave the day prior. I would hate to miss our cruise and taking the extra day even if without pay is worth piece of mind. There are too many factors out of your control.
Old March 5th, 2003, 10:02 AM
MichelleM

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Carnilal left without us!!!

We just came back from the Paradise, rmchunter we are so sorry you missed the boat. We were in port with the Conquest at Grand Cayman and Cozumel. While the Conquest left a few people behind in Grand Cayman and they were able to to contact Carnival and get on the Paradise and sail with us to Cozumel to meet the ship.

So if there is ever another ship from the same line in port with you and you miss the ship call the emergency number and ask if there is anyway you can get on the other ship and meet up with yours in the next common port. Now this was just overnight and we had a few empty rooms because there were several people kicked on the Paradise for smoking so the people on the Conquest were just lucky.
Old March 5th, 2003, 10:44 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Carnilal left without us!!!

Michelle has made an excellant point. On your daily newsletter, (on CCL it is called the Capers) there is a name and number of the port contact should you need assistance if you miss the boat. Keep that number with you so you know who it is!! The cruiselines do try and assist you in any way they can BUT, they cannot and will not hold the ship or pay for your expenses nor should they be expected to. This is also another reason to take the ship excursions, the ship will wait for those excursions to return before setting sail. Yes they cost more but you will certainly spend a lot more if you miss the boat.
Jim

Old March 5th, 2003, 06:46 PM
Jamiegunter

I hate you missed your cruise. We were on that ship on the 23rd. Hope next years goes better. Glad your plane landed okay!
Old March 6th, 2003, 03:10 PM
First Mate

We just got back from the 3-1-03 cruise on the Holiday out of New Orleans, we was suppose to leave at 4pm. When 4pm got there, they made an announcement that some passengers had not made it to the ship and that they believe because of Mardi Gras traffic these passengers were late. A few people around us was saying that Carnvial didn't have to wait for them and that it was the passengers responsibility to be on time as all of us had gotten there early enough because we knew the traffic would be heavy later on during the day. We did set sail around 4:30. I don't know if these passengers made it on or not, but I must agree that it's no secret that Mardi Gras was held in New Orleans and that passengers shouldn't wait until the last minute to arrive for a cruise. They started boarding before noon and most passengers was already there and had did all their paper work and ready to go. So, why should over a thousand people wait for a couple of people? Why should the cruise line be put behind schedule because passengers don't make it on time? They shouldn't. Yes, I understand that airports have delays, that's why it is more safer to either take off the night before or really early in the morning. But it's not the cruise lines responsibility that passengers are late. It's the passengers responsibilty to make it there in time.
Old March 7th, 2003, 12:23 AM
cruise-O-matic

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Carnilal left without us!!!

Hello again...Ok, let me be a bit more clear on what happened...we flew from Columbus, Ohio on 02/22/03 to Charleston, NC. on U.S. AIRWAYS. From there we were supposed to catch a connecting flight to Orlando Fl. Our connecting flight had mechanical problems and we were delayed 4 hrs. There were a total of 32 people on this flight that were late for the PRIDE. 12 people on this flight were booked on Disney, and Holland America, those ships waited the extra 1 hour for their passengers. Carnival did not. U.S. AIRWAYS did put all of us up in a motel overnight. They gave us $15.00 pp food vouchers that were only able to be used at the airport. (At the restraunt we went to, they were not accepted because they said "U.S. Airways is going out of business"). U.S. Airways did book us on an American Airlines flight the next day to the Bahamas to board the ship. Their travel vouchers from the airport to the pier were not accepted and we had to pay $20.00 cab fare. We were only out the cab fare, Fridays dinner, and Saturdays breakfast, an insignificant exspense. We boarded the ship around 4 pm. By the time we went through the check in and got to our rooms it was around 5:45 pm. The ship was scheduled to leave Nassau at 6:30 pm, so we didn't dare leave the ship! My only gripes are that there were so many of us that we felt that the ship could wait 1 hour for all of us to arrive. We had our luggage and were at the taxi stand at the Orlando Airport by 4:05 pm. From there it is a 45 to 55 minute ride to the ship. We had booked a category 11 suite, and paid extra money for it(not a free upgrade.) We had to get up Saturday morning, the first day of our Vacation at 4:00 am to go to the airport, wait through security lines again, fly to the Bahamas and then go through their customs (another long line). I feel that since we booked our flights and travel insurance through Carnival that they would credit our 1 day loss on the ship or at least give us an equal credit on a future cruise since their insurance company said this is not a covered loss. U.S. Airways also declined responsibility. We thought we did the right thing by buying through Carnival & tipping the staff for the entire 7 days. I just thought Carnival would at "least" give us an equal credit toward a future cruise to ensure happy customers and return business. I didn't let this spoil our cruise, we had a fantastic time!
Old March 7th, 2003, 12:24 AM
cruise-O-matic

to be exact, we were delayed 3 hrs and 48 mins
Old March 7th, 2003, 09:03 AM
Passenger

Cruise_o_matic,
I understand your grief and hope you get reimbersed but I would like to know what you have learned. How will you handle your next cruise ?
Old March 9th, 2003, 12:36 AM
Yeoman

this was my greatest fear when i set up my cruise and schedule. that is why i am arriving in vancouver the day before and having a relaxing evening and half day there before my cruise. it will be my first cruise (and real vacation) and i wanted to make the most of it besides getting rid of the fears of "missing the boat". i am sure this will be the standard for me with future cruises as well.
Old March 9th, 2003, 01:36 PM
GLRounds

I applaud Cruiese-o-Matic for making the best of a bad situation. Still making sure to have a "good time" in spite of the hoops you had to jump through.

I'm positive that when you lay this entire scenario out to Carnival (maybe along with this thread) you'll get satisfactory remuneration out of them.

Good luck,

Gary
Old March 10th, 2003, 11:29 AM
First Mate

We have sailed with Carnival 4 times and only once did not go a day early. We live in California and were taking an Alaska cruise out of Vancouver so felt same day would be OK. Wrong. Several of us arrived in Vancouver late but Carnival waited for us. Even paid for the Limo from the airport to the ship. Unfortunatly our luggage did not arrive before sailing. Since our first full day at sea included a formal night, Carnival gave me a tux to wear. My wife and our TA (we always cruise with our TA, she is a personal friend) wear the same size so my wife was able to get a dress from her. Carnival also credited our Sail and Sign account with funds so we could purchase incidentals to use until our luggage showed up at the first port of call. Since we had not purchased our airfare through Carnival we felt they were more than fair. I am in my sixties but still feel Carnival is a great way to go.
Old March 10th, 2003, 09:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

I had the same problem on 2/22 going to the Imagination. I bought the cruise insurance, although I did our airfares separately. Iwas told by the Carnival agent that the policy would cover my airfares (found out later it didn't). Was delayed by Northwest and didn't get to Miami until 4:05, although I kept Carnival informed along the way. Called them as soon as I deplaned in Miami. They said get to the gate, take the bus, 30 others are going there too. I told her I didn't buy the transfers, she said it shouldn't matter. At baggage, the 2 greeters said we couldn't take the bus, take a cab. As we were getting our baggagge, they came up to us and said the ship left. I about had a fit, and said I had been in contact with Carnival all along. I demanded a supervisor. 3 came about 20 min later (about 4:40), and wondered why I wasn't trying to get a cab, as the ship HADN'T left! We and they all hauled our luggage (lots of it for 2 adults and a 9, 6 and 20-mo). They tried to get a cab for about 10-15 min, then a shuttle, then they said the ship wouldn't wait any longer (although it still didn't leave for at least 10 min, I found out later). They also lost our camera case in the shuffle, lost $1600 worth of camcorders, digital cameras, 35mm cameras, supplies).

Northwest eventually paid for our hotel in Miami, dinner, breakfast, air to Grand Cayman, 2 suites on 7 Mile Beach, lunch and dinner, and cab fare from airport and to port.

Carnival gave us 50% credit(before taxes and port charges) for each day lost, so we got 1 full day refunded per person.

HOWEVER, Carnival's insurer said that they would pay any costs due to the trip delay that Northwest didn't pay (meal costs over their maximum, which is good cuz Grand Cayman is EXPENSIVE, any other costs, up to either $500 or $1500, I can't remember). Plus, they will pay anything my homeowners doesn't reimburse us for for the camera equipment.

You may want to call the insurer back, since you should be able to collect, as I am.
If you need more details, let me know.