Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 4th, 2003, 05:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Carnival is back peddling on Soda/Water policy

It appears Carnival has realized the ERROR of their ways and is now back peddling on implementation of their previously announced soda/water restrictions.

If you Evian or Coke truck pulls up to the pier you may have some difficulties, but a case of soda or water, and you'll just walk right through, as before.

Booze will be restricted, as before.

My own take on these restictions ..... if people didn't "abuse the system" by taking their -in cabin drinks -with them througout the ship's public areas, there would never been booze restrictions put in place.

Regards,
Kuki

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2003, 06:45 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Default Re: Carnival is back peddling on Soda/Water policy

I totally agree, Kuki!

Old March 5th, 2003, 03:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

Did Carnival always charge for sodas? I don't remember being charged for a soda the last time I was on a Carnival cruise a couple years ago. When will they start charging for water, food and then eventually the entertainment? I can understand charging for the alcohol. A cruise line could go bankrupt giving that away . . . but sodas?
Old March 5th, 2003, 06:15 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Carnival always has charged for sodas.

Old March 5th, 2003, 06:56 AM
Admiral

I agree with you Kuki. I believe the policies are in place so they can enforce them when they get abused. NOT, when every Joe brings along a bottle of rum or 6-pack of soda.

It's like the speed limit. Go 90 in a 45 and you can expect to get ticketed. Go 50 in a 45 and you probably won't.

Regards,
Thomas
Old March 5th, 2003, 10:39 AM
BillG

Default Re: Re: Carnival is back peddling on Soda/Water policy

Carnival and most cruiselines, just like most land-based restaurants, have always charged for sodas. For quite a while RCI didn't charge in the dining rooms at mealtimes, but eventually they too succumbed. Soda sales represent a significant soda stream for them. Most lines have at least attempted to soften the blow by offering soda cards which provide unlimited soda for a set price.
Old March 5th, 2003, 10:41 AM
BillG

Default Re: Re: Re: Carnival is back peddling on Soda/Water policy

The message above should read "represent a significant revenue stream" Sorry about that.:-) Hit enter too quickly and apparently there isn't anyway to edit posts once they have been entered.
Old March 5th, 2003, 10:45 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Carnival is back peddling on Soda/Water poli

Hi Bill,
Sure there is, If you have registered and signed in it is right on the bottom of your message and reads 'edit post' <G>
Jim

Old March 6th, 2003, 10:33 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Carnival is back peddling on Soda/Water

I've never had a problem bringing in water and some pop! I only like Diet Pepsi and everthing is diet coke! I brought 1 pop for each day last time. Put them in my suitcase and never had a problem. I'll be leaving the 27th of April on Destiny, so i'll find out if they have gotten any stricter.

Post Edited (03-06-03 10:34)
Old March 6th, 2003, 10:52 AM
GLRounds

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Carnival is back peddling on Soda/Wa

Kuki & Thomas are right on target !

Couldn't agree more. I think the bottled water and soda exclusion started as an attempt to stop the smuggling of clear and colored alcohol. Each quart of smuggled booze represents $160 of liquor revenue stream. A heavy hit to take and still maintain their excellent cabin pricing.

The major ABUSERS that threatened to "jump ship" over this issue were unknowingly playing right into the hands of Carnival, as Carnival would, most likely, just as soon get rid of them.

Negative revenue streams are what you want your competitors to suffer! <grin> Business 101.

Gary
Old March 6th, 2003, 11:04 AM
GLRounds

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Carnival is back peddling on Soda/Wa

Kuki & Thomas are right on target !

Couldn't agree more. I think the bottled water and soda exclusion started as an attempt to stop the smuggling of clear and colored alcohol. Each quart of smuggled booze represents $160 of liquor revenue stream. A heavy hit to take and still maintain their excellent cabin pricing.

The major ABUSERS that threatened to "jump ship" over this issue were unknowingly playing right into the hands of Carnival, as Carnival would, most likely, just as soon get rid of them.

Negative revenue streams are what you want your competitors to suffer! <grin> Business 101.

Gary
Old March 7th, 2003, 11:42 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Carnival is back peddling on Sod

Hey GLRounds, should non-drinkers then be banned from Carnival ships?
Old March 7th, 2003, 09:33 PM
TomS

I agree with Kuki and Thomas. When i bought bottles of rum onto the Paradise in San Juan, I was routed to a reasonabilly friendly crewmember who took my bottles, wrapped them in plastic and tape and handed me a reciept for them. This didn't bug me because I was taking these bottles back as gifts to friends, and having the extra wrapping helped protect the bottles in my carry-on bag.

TomS
Old March 8th, 2003, 08:32 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Carnival is back peddling on Soda/Water policy

99 bottles of beer in my bag 99 bottles of beer. Take one out and down it down 98 bottles of beer in the bag. 98 bottles of beer in the bag 98 bottles of beer. take one out and down it down 97 bottles of beer in my bag. hick up!!
Old March 8th, 2003, 11:29 AM
GLRounds

Tutak says:

"Hey GLRounds, should non-drinkers then be banned from Carnival ships?"
__________________________________________________ _____________

If all Carnival ships suddenly had nothing but non-drinkers, the price of the cruises would JUMP dramatically. The revenue stream created by drinkers is huge on cruise ships. Deny them that revenue stream and we all go home broke !

Gary
Old March 9th, 2003, 06:16 PM
Passenger

So what you all are saying is that on March 30 if I have 4 Dasani bottles in my luggage, they will take my bags apart just to remove them before we leave port?