Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 7th, 2003, 09:09 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Jan
Default Best shore excursions Cozumel and Grand Cayman???

Taking a group of 35 teenagers on the Sensation March 22 -We are going to Cozumel and Grand Cayman.
What shore excursions did you like and how much was it?
Thanks!
P.S. Best ruins to see in Cozumel?
Sponsored Links
Old March 7th, 2003, 09:38 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Best shore excursions Cozumel and Grand Cayman???

If the teenagers are old enough to appreciate history then the Tulum Ruins tour in Cozumel is wonderful. Watch the boys when you return to Playa Del Carman and waiting for the ferry, there are topless ladies on that beach right by the pier. <G> If not them maybe horseback riding in Cozumel although it is a little pricey, about $70pp I believe. In Grand Cayman go to Sting Ray City, no doubt that is the thing that you MUST do.
Jim

Old March 7th, 2003, 10:03 PM
Passenger

Jan,
Cosumel, We did the Playa Del Sole, Great day at the beach with great water sports.
It has a pool, volleyball and lots to do!!!
Grand Cayman, Like Jim said , Stingray City is not to be missed!!!! Go to captainmarvins.com, smaller boats, GREAT service. Maybe you can charter one for your entire group and save some $$$$$$$
Have A Great Time

Old March 7th, 2003, 11:32 PM
Cute

Went on the Sensation last June. Grand Cayman...do the swim with the stingrays. Forget the turtle farm and the "hell" stop. We did all 3 and the only one worth the trip was the stingrays. Get the boat that is the catamaran. Well worth it! They take photos with the stingrays with a water digital camera and put the pictures on disk for you to take with you.

As for Cozumel...the ruins are a JOKE! Don't do it! There's an ATV Jungle Ride-- I highly recommend. It's not offered as part of any of the packages, but you can arrange one directly with the company before you go or email them while you are on the boat. We did the sunset ride and had a fabulous time!

Company name: Wild Tours. 01-800-2024990 or 01-987-872-5876 or email wildtour@prodigy.net.nx
You can do Kayaks & Snorkel or Castillo Real or LaPalma. We did the mangroves at sunset. Awesome!
Old March 8th, 2003, 08:16 AM
First Mate

Jan, I topped a thread entitled "Sensation Shore Excursions". Excuse my typing, but I listed all the available tours with booking numbers and prices. I didn't do the Stingray tour, but those who did raved over it. The Mayan Ruins of Tulum was an unforgettable experience, but very structured tour. Take a ferry to the mainland, about an hour. A bus ride to Tulum, 1 1/2-2 hours. Mandatory rest stop at jewelry factory (scam). It may be difficult to keep the kids interested, while the beaches are calling.
Old March 8th, 2003, 09:23 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Best shore excursions Cozumel and Grand Cayman???

My wife and I took a road less traveled while in GC. We took a ride aboard the historical replica La Nina. It was the smallest of the ships that Columbus brought to the New World. It is at the GC yacht club along Seven Mile Beach. The ship will be there until may of this year as part of Grand Cayman's quintcentennial. It is well worth the fare.

You can get information and make reservations at www.thenina.com. If you go, make sure that you have sufficient time in port for the sail. We took the 10AM tour and made it back to the port for the tender with very little time to spare. I highly recommend the tour if you can manage the time restriction. One more thing you might do, have the same taxi that takes you to the ship, meet you at the pier when the sail is over. That will save some nerves.

Steve
Old March 10th, 2003, 08:50 AM
L Galloway

Hi Jan,
My husband and I did the ruins tour last June and were very disappointed. We love history and wanted something off the beaten path for our honeymoon, rather than just sand and surf. Some people at our table did a jeep ride, which they enjoyed, but you can only get so many in one jeep and you have to have a licensed driver 21 or over for each vehicle. A lot of people just enjoyed shopping in Cozumel at a little market near the dock. Playa del Carmen is also supposed to be nice, but I have also heard stories about some nudity on the beach, so it might not be appropriate for your group. I notice that Carnival doesn't post the prices of their excursions, but you can call and they will provide those to you. You can also go to royal caribbean's website because many of the excursions seem to be about the same price.

In Grand Cayman, we took the Island tour. The stop at the town of "Hell" is boring, but the turtle farm was fun. You get to hold baby sea turtles and learn a lot about them. I also heard great things from the Stingray city tour, but that's all you will be able to do if you do that one. We liked the island tour because we were able to walk around and do some shopping after.

Cozumel really wasn't that impressive, but Grand Cayman really is nice and once they scoot you over to the dock most things are within walking distance of the pier as far as shops and food places. Watch out for the traffic though, it was quite busy on the streets. Have a great time!