Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 8th, 2003, 08:40 AM
Passenger

Default How would a war affect our cruises?

Just wondering what your thoughts might be on this topic!
Sponsored Links
Old March 8th, 2003, 10:37 AM
RaddisonMN

Default Re: How would a war affect our cruises?

I'd be a fool if I said I won't let the thoughts of war bother me for my upcoming cruise.
My husband and I set sail on March 30 aboard Carnivals' Destiny. I'm not afraid that anything would effect those of us on the ship but, we do have a 12 year old daughter that will not be going with us. As a mom...I hope she would not have to hear the news of an attack somewhere while we are gone. But then again...the children of other countries deal with that sort of news in their everyday lives.
I am all for the extra long time it takes to go thru security at the airports. ( Now if I'd only stop seeing all the tv news reports that show how many *people and things* are able to sneak thru airports unchecked!!!)
I know there are many US soldiers willing to place their lives on the line in the name of freedom. May God bless each and every one of them. With them out there ...I have no fears.
I WILL have a wonderful vacation.
Karla/34/Minnesota
Old March 8th, 2003, 10:57 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

War would most certainly affect everyone's cruise. Security would be heightened even further, and without doubt the war would be on everyone's mind. In Europe there will be some itinerary changes.

However, I think it would be a mistake to allow the war to change your cruise plans. We cruised a week after the 9/11 plans. While the atmosphere was different than a typical, everyone onboard seemed to enjoy a greater bond. We were all standing up after a severe blow, and not allowing the terror that had occurred take away our freedom.

The economic impact of the impending war has been severe enough already. To retreat into our homes would have even more impact.

I have a Baltic cruise scheduled for the end of April. I'm of the opinion that if this war starts soon it will be over and done before that, but either way, if it's possible to go, I intend on excersicing the freedom that the armed forces would be fighting for.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 8th, 2003, 11:08 AM
GLRounds

Default Re: Re: How would a war affect our cruises?

Its ironic that in most major wars of the past, cruise ships are immediately put into use as troop ships. Haul the troops to the war, haul the wounded back.

Most cruise line itineraries have already been adjusted for the now likelihood of war, so we here in America will most likely be unaffected by the conflict. Security will probably be increased and I'm sure there will be delays.

Conducting our business AS USUAL will only show those we fight and the terrorists they support that they are basically having NO EFFECT on the freedoms we love and cherish.

I have the utmost appreciation for those that willingly risk their lives to guarantee the freedom we all love. Heroes all.

Gary
Old March 8th, 2003, 01:07 PM
MichelleM

I think the major visable effect of war would be tighter security at the airports and ports, longer lines. Having just flew last weekend I was pleasantly suprised how fast the airport experience was, we had planned for the suggested amount of time and spent alot of time sitting and waiting after checking in.

We are booked on Carnival's Pride for late september after it repositions to the Mexican Riviera and have no plans to change our reservations.
Old March 8th, 2003, 01:57 PM
Admiral

Tightened security only. Iraq isn't capable of attacking on the high seas or of launching air raids towards us. In addition the 'war' will be over very quickly and as soon as this despot is gone things will quickly get back to normal.
Jim

Old March 8th, 2003, 04:56 PM
Admiral

Jim I disagree.......Things will never be "normal" again.

Old March 8th, 2003, 06:25 PM
Virgin Cruisers

I'm honored to be employed by the US Armed Forces and maybe called any day to go forward and protect our freedom. We (me and my family) don't live our lives around the prospects of going to war and try to live our lives as normally as we can; whatever normal is in the military these days;-) and if I'm called, I go with no reservations.

We are cruising, for the first time, in May. This is our honeymoon even though we've been married for 13 years. The cruise and airfare has been bought without hesitation. I know Carnival and Expedia will help us if war interupts our vacation.

I am proud of the uniform I have worn for the past 19 years. I was planning on bringing my dress uniform for formal night. If war is declared, I may leave it at home. I don't want to be a target to those who may resent the effort. Your thoughts are appreciated!
Old March 8th, 2003, 08:00 PM
Captain

Default Virgin Cruisers

You, your uniform, and your family would be welcome at my table anytime.
Old March 8th, 2003, 09:03 PM
RaddisonMN

Default War

I couldn't agree more!
I'd be honored to see you or any others in their uniforms!!
Old March 8th, 2003, 09:07 PM
Virgin Cruisers

Default Re: Virgin Cruisers

Thank you for your words of encouragement
Old March 8th, 2003, 09:10 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: How would a war affect our cruises?

Unless ordered not to by your commanding officer, wear it proudly. BTW it is protocol to inform the master of the vessel of your intent to wear your dress uniform while a member of the Armed Forces. You may do so by dropping a letter to the Capt. at the Pursers desk. A mere formality but one of very good taste that will be greatly appreciated, even more so if the Capt is a former military Officer.
Jim

Old March 8th, 2003, 09:21 PM
Virgin Cruisers

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: How would a war affect our cruises?

Jim,

Would you please explain futher on that particular protocol?

Thanks!
Old March 8th, 2003, 09:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

You be proud of that uniform and wear it no matter what and if those around don't like it maybe they should go live in Iraq. Thank you for all you do for us.
Betty
Old March 9th, 2003, 10:57 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How would a war affect our cruises?

It is considered proper for anyone in the Armed Forces of another nation, (in this case the USA as you are on a foreign ship), to inform the Master of said vessel of their presence onboard. It isn't necessary while out of uniform as you are not openly and officially representing your Country but, while in Uniform you are an Official Representitive of your nation and notification of your presence is traditional protocol.
Jim

Old March 9th, 2003, 07:32 PM
Virgin Cruisers

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How would a war affect our cruises?

Thanks Jim
Old March 9th, 2003, 08:28 PM
Yeoman

Yes, wear that uniform with pride. In time of peace or war. I'm not in the military, but I would be proud to have any service member at my dinner table. Let that uniform be the first thing you pak. Happy Cruising!
Old March 10th, 2003, 01:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Its refreshing to find people out there that still respect what the military does for you and your country. I have been in the Air Force for 15 years and even though I never expect it, its always great to have people support us.

Here's a little some thing I thought I'd share even though it doesn't pertain to cruising:

"It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the
press.
>
> - It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
>
> - It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to
demonstrate.
>
> - It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and
whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the
flag."
>
> (Authored by Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, Sergeant, USMC

Kingwryn
Old March 10th, 2003, 02:53 PM
Dcat2u

My husband is in the army and preparing to deploy, I am booked to sail on the Destiny in August with a group of friends. He has told me to not change my plans since I have had this booked almost a year. My children will be staying with friends while I am gone.
Old March 14th, 2003, 03:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: War

thanks
Old March 16th, 2003, 11:12 AM
matter of fact

My mother is a TSA officer checking luggage that goes through our airports, and I am happy to report that eve tnough, yes it is likely that something could slip through security in almost ANY country's security, those working for you to check your luggage and gaurantee a safe trip, are doing EVERYTHING possible to ensure that our airways our safe, so please do keep in mind, that in traffic jams of people at the security points, that those officers deal with cranky people all day long, and that it is nice to run into willing and pleasant travelers who have a smile on their face as a greeting to their hard efforts of security. Have faith in our government, because they indeed are working for US and have faith in the cruiselines that they will also attempt to do everythign in theeir power to make a trip during a wartime economy and atmosphere, a lighthearted and safe one. Enjoy your trips and HAVE A BLAST!
Old March 17th, 2003, 09:03 PM
JohnDunworth

I'm not in favor of war but I have absolutely no problem with you wearing your uniform.
After all, my brother spent 10 years in the Navy! Wear it, and to hell with the begrudgers.
We'll be on the Grandeur of the Seas on March 29th, looks like the war will be in full swing then but we intend on having a great time anyway.
Old March 17th, 2003, 11:40 PM
Kimberllie

Is it true that if war is declared all cruises are cancelled?
Old March 18th, 2003, 06:55 AM
Admiral

Virgin Cruisers. First of all, I want to thank you for your service in our defense. If I saw you in uniform aboard a ship, you can bet I'd buy you a drink. Many of your countrymen would. In today's situation, it will be necessary to fight quick skirmishes to prevent much larger wars. In today's reality, you defend our streets, let alone our prestige.
Thanks for being there.

But may I suggest that you change your online name? For the sake of brevity, I usually
address responses and comments to initials. In your case, it didn't seem right to call you "VC."

Steve

I may dwell on the land, but I live at sea!

Steve

Sensation 2/03 I disembarked, but never really left the ship.
Enchantment 9/03
Inspiration 3/04
Sensation 04/05 The vessel made me do it!
Summit 03/06 to Hawaii, Where God left his fingerprints, in memory of Margaret.
Sensation 03/07
Carnival Freedom (March 08)
\X\Mercury (January 09)
Old March 18th, 2003, 09:34 AM
Admiral

Absolutely not Kim! Security will be increased and there may be some cruises in the Med area that will change itinararies but that will be the extent of it.
JIm

Old March 18th, 2003, 10:06 AM
L Galloway

Hey Virgin Cruisers,
By all means where your uniform. It amazes me how much the military has changed over the years. My dad was a WWII veteran, a Marine and he passed away in 1994. Back in his day you were not allowed to wear a uniform in a non-military capacity. He said it was a fine line between what was appropriate and what was not because they often wore uniforms to the nightclubs because it helped them with the ladies, but some places were a big no-no. Some of the ladies at work was just discussing this the other day, those of us that have parents old enough to remember those days. Now you see military folks at the bank, in the grocery store, etc... I support that completely, you should be proud of your service and it give folks the opportunity to recognize you for all you do.
Old March 18th, 2003, 10:35 AM
Beginner

Virgin Cruisers: I think the general consensus is to take the uniform if that is what you choose to do. I still have mine in a garment bag in the closet set up and ready to wear. Every now and then I take it out, hang it up on the closet door and just look at it. Sometimes the emotions run both directions when I think back on the good and hard times during my service, realizing that I've felt (and still have) immense pride that unless one has served, one will never know. Hope you have a wonderful time on your cruise.

Old March 18th, 2003, 12:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'm only worried that the war may ground the flights. I live a 45-hour drive from New Orleans. I'd really prefer to fly.

Also, my son is graduating from Army boot camp on April 2nd. He only signed up to help out our country. As soon as he was old enough, he ran down to the recruiter’s office. I support him and all other soldiers, active or not. Although I'm not voting for a war, something needs to be done to stop these people from bombing and terrorizing our country. If we don’t take control they will.
Old March 20th, 2003, 11:29 PM
USAF First Time Cruisers

Hi all!,

As was suggested, We've changed our name from Virgin Cruisers to the above. Thanks to all of you for your support. As I watch CNN's live coverage of the war, I grab every opportunity to reflect on my proud military service. I've never been so proud to be an American and to fight for our freedom as as I am now. Although I'm not on the front lines fighting with the best of the best, we all (Americans) have a very important job to do; keep doing what you're doing, don't live your lives around the war and keep your thoughts and prayers with our men and women in Iraq. We plan to go ahead with our cruise in May and I will bring my uniform and wear it during formal night. Let's all hope this is over soon so our men and women can come home.

God Bless America!
Old March 21st, 2003, 09:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hey USAF First Time Cruisers,

I'm also in the USAF, and thinking of booking our first cruise, any suggestions?

Kingwryn