Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 9th, 2003, 06:41 PM
Carol F-C

Default Dress code?

My husband and I are booked 3/13/03 for the 5-day sailing on Inspiration. Can't find information on the cruise site about dress code. There are informal and formal dining rooms . . . does that mean informal and formal dress? How formal is formal? Are there any "formal nights"? What's the general vibe for ship-board clothing? Jeans-n-T's, LL Bean, Bikinis . . .?
Sponsored Links
Old March 9th, 2003, 07:19 PM
Tactics

Default Re: Dress code?

Usually there will be 2 formal nights on a 7 day which mean guys should wear a suit with jacket and tie. Women should wear a dress. Some guys wear tuxes too.

But now on a 5 day I assume there will be one formal night but you mentioned a "informal and formal dining room". I'm not familiar with that so hopefully someone else will comment on that.

On the informal nights, jeans are fine but they don't want people wearing shorts like sunbathing shorts and no muscle shirts, etc..

Yea the general ship-board clothing is just what you mentioned.
Old March 9th, 2003, 08:07 PM
Admiral

Formal night is just that, you are recommended to dress in your formal best but they do want at least a jacket and tie, preferrably a dark suit. On other nights slacks and a collared shirt is fine, they call it 'resort casual' and many take it to mean at least docker style pants and a polo shirt at minimum. No shorts allowed. There are those that recently have gone to nice jeans and shirt but.....that is a differant topic. Jeans are just too heavy for a cruise to the Caribbean IMHO.
Jim

Old March 9th, 2003, 08:25 PM
First Mate

Just as other said, for men a dark suit & tie or tux. Most woman where very elegant dress and I've seen a few younger ones in Prom Dresses On other nights woman opt for dress pants and shirts to dresses. During the day you see shorts, capri pants and mainly swim suits.You can where shorts in your dinning room during lunch & breakfast but at night you must be dressed as mention above. I have been on the Inspiration when it sailed out of New Orleans over the summer last year. There is not a informal dinning room. What that means is the Lido deck. There are two dinning rooms aboard that ship and the Lido deck. The lido deck is the only place that you can eat dressed anyway, even in a swim suit. Also, I don't think the Inspiration is a 5 day cruise. It was 7 when I went on it and I just looked at carnivals website and it's showing 7 day cruises from Tampa. If that is correct then you will have 2 formal nights. The nights was on Monday and again on Friday night. You might want to check your dates of booking because carnival shows the Inspiration leaving out on March 16, 2003 on a 7 day cruise and if you are schedule to leave on a 5 day on the 13 then something is not right about that or maybe you made a mistake on what you wrote.
Old March 9th, 2003, 09:16 PM
Carol F-C

Default Re: Re: Dress code?

Oops--It's the Imagination and not the Inspiration. But the question remains. Thanks so far!
Old March 9th, 2003, 10:06 PM
First Mate

The Imagination has 2 dining rooms. Both are what most people call formal. On a 5 day cruise there is 1 formal night, where the recommended dress code is fromal or cocktail type dress for the ladies and dark suit and tie or tux for the gentlemen. The other evenings are casual, which is dockers type trousers and collared shirt for men, and dress, blouse and skirt or slacks for women. No shorts or t-shirts allowed in the dining room for dinner. The other opltion is to eat on the lido deck buffet area, where the dress code is casual at all times (shorts allowed.) Short are allowed in the dining room durning breakfast and lunch. Hope this answers your question.
Old March 10th, 2003, 09:18 AM
OBrienLads

Can pre-teen boys get away with dressier shorts (the kind worn to church with a nice polo or button down shirt) in the dining room at dinner time?

Thanks!
JO
Old March 10th, 2003, 10:20 AM
Admiral

If you are talking about a pre-school child then the answer would most likley be yes, a school age child, no. They say no shorts.
Jim

Old March 10th, 2003, 11:16 AM
First Mate

The dress code for the dining room durning dinner states no shorts allowed, it gives no exceptions for young children, old men, silk , nice church shorts, longer shorts, nor any other kind of shorts or any other circunstances. This is not as requested policy it is a mandatory policy.
Old March 10th, 2003, 12:46 PM
OBrienLads

Thanks for the info. My lads have plenty of slacks, but I thought I'd check about the dress shorts since they take up less room in luggage.

Again, thanks!
JO
Old March 10th, 2003, 01:32 PM
Beginner

Just got back from cruise and shorts are definitly not allowed at dinner, some where turn away to go change. I did however see on our ship, Jubilee, a lot of jeans and t-shirts, one guy I saw even had a sleeveless t. Very tacky I thought. Only one formal night and that's like everyone else has said, suit/tux for the guys, evening dresses for the women.
enjoy
steve