Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 23rd, 2003, 11:20 AM
jack2

Default Carnival Credit Card - fun rewards

Does anyone have the Carnival Credit card? I am considering getting it or the RCCL card. I cannot find a list of reward discounts anywhere on the web, or if I call the credit card company. Am trying to find out how many points (dollars?) you need to get discounts on cruises, etc. I understand you can either get upgrades, free companions or just a coupon to use as cash towards a cruise, but what are the details. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old March 23rd, 2003, 03:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Carnival Credit Card - fun rewards

I just received my carnival card and am returning it tommorrow. They did not tell me that there is a 4 dollar membership fee every month. Also You receive one point for every dollar you put on your card. But to get a free 7 day interior room it cost 86,000 points. That is for 2 people. The way I understand is that I would have to put 86,000 dollars on my credit card to get a free cruise. I dont see that happening. Also It was another 40,000 points for a free third person. The finance charge was 19.8%. If you need to know anything else just let me know. I have the papers right here. Sandy
Old March 23rd, 2003, 03:45 PM
Admiral

Ouch, Sandy, that hurts! Boy it wasn't that way a few years ago. I was racking up $800 cruise dollars a year and it did not take $86000 to do it either. Call, read the fine print before you make a determination.
Old March 23rd, 2003, 06:55 PM
MichelleM

I was going to ask if there was an annual fee but you answered my question. We have a travel rewards credit card and have just reached a free flight. No annual fee with this one. I guess I'll stick with free flights instead of free cruises. The way prices are going these days the flight is more expensive then the cruise at certain ports.
Old March 23rd, 2003, 07:16 PM
Jeff Clark

I have the card and my fee is only $2.00 per month. As to the interest, yes it is 19.8%, but if you don't carry a balance it really doesn't matter how much or how little the interest charge is. If you put $9000 on your card you would receive $200 towards any cruise reguardless of who you book with or at what price. That works out to about a 2.2% rebate. We have the card and use it to pay the cable bill, gas for the cars, groceries and any other daily expenses. Heck we have even used it to pay some hospital, doctor and dentist bills. We average about $1000 a month and you can build credits up over FIVE years. I personally use it and have never paid a dime's worth of interest or late charge. Yes you have to be displined, but it works for us. You can use the points for extra savings, free 3rd or fourth person, free companion cruises or a cruise for two. It just depends on how many points you build up.

Jeff
Old March 23rd, 2003, 08:48 PM
Beginner

I have the CCL Credit Card and I don't pay the $2 or the $4 fee to use it
Old March 24th, 2003, 10:15 AM
Passenger

I have the CCl mastercard and I don't pay anything per year or per month, I have had the card for 2 years. I use the card for everything from groceries to gas to all travel. The APR is 9.9%for general purchases and 19.8%for Cash. But I pay it off every month. I just booked a short 4 day trip and received $200 off for the trip, I only had 12,000 points in my account so I used 9,000 for the discount and 1,400for 2 bottles of Champagne that will be waiting for us. You call the credit card co. tell them you want to use your fun rewards points. They give you a Long # and in 48 hrs. you can call 1-800-Carnival-4 and apply your points to your booking #. I may never get to 86,000 points for a free 7 day cruise but next year I might have enough points for $500 Off the best cruise offer we can find.
Free cruise for Two
Interior Ocean View
7 Day 86,000 points 100,000 points
5 Day 65,000 points 75,000 points
4 Day 50,000 points 60,000 points
3 Day 40,000 points 45,000 points

Free Companion
7 day 43,000 50,000
5 day 32,500 37,500
4 day 25,000 30,000
3 day 20,000 22,500

Extra Savings on best cruise offer:
$1,000 46,000 points
$500 23,000 points
$200 9,000 points

upgrade-interior to ov stateroom
7 day $10,000
5 day 7,000
4 day 6,000
3 day 4,000

Cgampagne or fruit basket 700 points

Happy cruising
Old March 24th, 2003, 10:25 AM
Beginner

Sorry the chart is hard to read it looked okay when i typed it but when I posted all the spaces were deleted. The First # would be for interior cabin and the second would be oveanview.
Old March 27th, 2003, 06:38 PM
Passenger

I called today and cancelled my card. I asked them right out if it was really 4.00 per month and they told me yes. So they must have changed it. I dont know why else others would get it for 2.00 or nothing per month. I have never been one to pay my bills with credit cards. I would find it too easy not to pay them off each month but I guess it might be worth doing it. But even if you put 1000 dollars on it every month it would still take 86 months to get a free 7 day cruise. Thats over 7 years. Now 86 times $4.00 is $344.00 that you have paid to have your card. I myself dont think it is worth it.
Old March 28th, 2003, 09:34 AM
LHP

We have also had the CCL Mastercard since March 2000. (I remember the date because we charged our trip to Israel on it.) We do not pay any annual (or monthly fee). We pay it off every month in full. (even when we charge $10,000 trips). We strickly use it to get the perks. So far we have saved $1,700.00 on 3 cruises. There would be more savings, but we also have the GM card that we max out in perks every year and have saved $3,500.00 on the last 2 vehicles we purchased. Both accept the points just like money after you have made your best cruise or car deal.
Old March 28th, 2003, 10:19 AM
MichelleM

Discover Card has added Carnival as one of their rewards members recently. As most people know you get a 1 or 2% rebate on your total purchases every year with Discover (depending on the card you have). Once you reach $20 of rewards you can chose to get that amount doubled in the form of Gift Certificates for selected vendors. On my last bill I noticed that Carnival had been added.
I had originally gotted my Discover because Sam's Club only accepted Discover Card for quite a while, just added VISA last year but now I am working on getting to that $20 level to get that gift certificate for Carnival.

We also pay as much as we can on the credit cards to get the points. Our DirectTv and Internet service is directly billed to our credit card, I just paid our car insurance premium on our credit card. Since we just moved I am waiting to see if we can get our utilities directly charged to our credit card too. We have to pay those bills anyway, so why not let the money sit in the bank until the CC bill comes and then just write one large check instead of 20 small ones. Then I don't worry about things getting lost in the mail, there is a charge made on the due date every month and I watch the credit card summary online (MBNA has online access) to make sure everything is in order. I have caught a few things that were mis-charged and got them adjusted before the bill came which is nice to do.

You might want to check out MBNA Travel Rewards card. We have it and are very happy with it. It's good for 25 major airlines, rental car agencies, hotels and I would think they might add cruiselines at some point. I don't know what the interest rate is because we don't carry a balance ever, I think it is somewhere around 15% but I would have to look.