Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 25th, 2003, 11:08 AM
Mark M

Default Can someone give me a suggestion for the TRIUMPH?

I'm heading out on the Triumph on April 5th. I've been reading/hearing that it's a complete pain in the butt to get a deck chair. Can anyone who has cruised the Triumph before give me any suggestions on how to get a chair or where maybe on the ship people don't "reserve" the chairs all that much? Any advice from previous cruisers is much appreciated.

Mark.
Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2003, 11:30 AM
Lenda

Default Re: Can someone give me a suggestion for the TRIUMPH?

Hi Mark,

I wend on Triumph last week and let me tell you, I was sooo upset to see that people were saving chairs all over the place. With towels, flip flops, tanning lotion, you name it. Here's what I suggest you do, either take someone towel right off of the chair they are saving since saving chairs isn't allowed or save one yourself. I know, I don't think it's right, but it's the only way you will get a good chair, or else you will be stuck with a bad chair that slumps down and hurts your back. I don't undertand these people though, I mean, it's $22 for a lost towel. I swear, if I was a meanie, I would have gone around stealing everyone's towel who saved their chairs with it and THEN they'd learn.

"profanity edited out by staff"
Old March 25th, 2003, 12:02 PM
Mark M

Default Re: Re: Can someone give me a suggestion for the TRIUMPH?

Thanks Lenda,

Did you enjoy your cruise on the Triumph? Any suggestions in general you could share?
Old March 25th, 2003, 12:10 PM
Lenda

Default Re: Re: Re: Can someone give me a suggestion for the TRIUMPH

I had a great time on Triumph! My suggestion would be to make as many of the shows as you can, I believe John is going to be your cruise director also. He's AWSOME! And do not miss his bedtime story! I don't know if this is your first cruise or not, but just relax, have a good time, and eat as much as you can! I sure did and didn't gain a single pound! And if you are doing Eastern Carribbean and going to San Juan, I would suggest picking one of the excursions since you will be there at night. We didn't and ended up not really knowing where to go or what to do. I heard that the dinner with the flamenco dancing is pretty good.

One very very IMPORTANT TIP! Do not buy electronics without doing your research first! My boyfriend bought a digital camera in St. Thomas, thinking he was getting a great deal because they added a ton of extras and ended up finding out when we got back that he paid maket value for it, even with the extras. However, there is a lot of Jewelry, especially in St. Thomas, to choose from and at pretty decent deals. Other than that we had a great time and are already planning out next cuise to the Western Carribbean next year. HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME!!!!
Old March 25th, 2003, 12:11 PM
Admiral

Yes good luck with that! I would wander every deck for sometimes up to an hour. I never saved a chair because that is not supposed to be done. I don't think it's fair that people do it and I like the idea of removing their towel. Frankly you should be using the towels provided on deck, not the $22 towel your cabin steward provides you with. Now if you don't mind, you may have better luck finding a space on the topless deck!

Our family loved the Triumph, it's very easy to get lost trying to find your way around. We still had trouble our last day. I can't think of any tips or suggestions as it has been 2 years. I know that it was hard to find a chair but maybe during this time the ship won't be so full (we went on spring break) and you'll have better luck. Happy sailing!
Old March 25th, 2003, 12:14 PM
Lenda

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Can someone give me a suggestion for the TRI

Also, I noticed your posting about the Carnival upgrade. Adam C. is my boyfriend so I will answer that question for you. CALL YOUR T/A! That is the best way to get upgraded! Tell them about the price drop. That's what Adam did and he got us a balcony! He surprised me by the way, I didn't know we got upgraded until we were on the boat! That little punk!
Old March 25th, 2003, 12:18 PM
Andrea A

I was on the Triumph and also had a difficult time finding a chair. If there was a blue towel (the ones provided at the pool) I just removed it, assuming that the person was done and just left the towel there. I did that one time and ended up laying down in the middle of a family of well over 10 people. They didn't say anything or ask me to move, but I could feel the looks, that's for sure. However, I wouldn't remove any personal belongings to get a chair.
Old March 25th, 2003, 12:23 PM
Mark M

Hey thanks for all the posts! I'll definitely call the person I booked the cruise through. Also, what's the gym/fitness area like there. I'm a gym rat and I'd like to continue workin' out on the cruise.
Old March 25th, 2003, 12:45 PM
jimmy&jamie

Default chairs

we will be on same ship april 5th {11 of us } 5 are teenage boys anyway , yes it is hard to get a chair , and even harder to get one by the pool. you have to get up early and save one . not the nice thing to do ,but that is what alot of people do.this is our 4th time going to coz,grand caymon and ocho . if you have any ? about any of the ports we will be gald to help you if we can..
Old March 25th, 2003, 02:33 PM
DonnaAldred

Default Re: chairs

I sailed the Triumph in February this year, during school vacation week. We were with 3 other families, all of us with kids from ages 9-17.

Let me tell you, nothing irritated me more than waking up at 8:00 a.m., packing a pool bag, putting my suit on, kissing my kids and my hubby and telling them I would meet them up on deck as I was going to sit by the pool for awhile, and getting there and finding every single chair reserved with a shoe, sandal, book, newspaper, you name it. I was really really pissed. Here I was ready to sit in a chair, not leave my things and take off, and there wasn't one chair to be found. I will tell you what I saw someone do, and it worked. Someone went over to a security officer standing poolside and complained. I watched him walk over to several chairs and remove belongings and put them in a heap. I then watched as over an hour went by and those people came back to get their "reserved" chair and start to chew out the person sitting in their chair. I then watched the security officer come over and give a nice lecture. It was prime! So my suggestion to you if you can't find a chair. COMPLAIN. Damn, the way I looked at it, we paid very very good money for this vacation, and if I want to lay in the sun for awhile, I should be entitled to do so.

Other than that one one problem, you will love the Triumph. We had a great time. We loved it so much, we are booking again for next February vacation on the Destiny.

Have fun, and if you have any other particular questions, let me know. Would be glad to answer if I can.
Old March 25th, 2003, 03:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Lenda, can you tell me were there a lot of high school kids on the boat for spring break. and did it ever get crazy with the underage drinking do u think from those kids
Old March 25th, 2003, 03:58 PM
AEvans

Default Re: chairs

Hi,
I will also be on the April, 5th Triumph cruise. It will be my first cruise and I am really looking forward to it!
If you can recommend any excursions I would really appreciate it, especially beginnerís scuba!
Old March 25th, 2003, 05:05 PM
jimmy&jamie

Default Re: Re: what to do

this is our 4th time to these ports.in cozumel we do shoping and the beach.price for items in coz is cheap and you can bargain them down {never pay first price} grand caymon stingray city is really great.in ocho we like dunns river fall and the straw market..this time i will be diving in cozumel and the caymons.if you have never been diving. the caribean is a great place to do it. lots to see.but i dont think you will be under long.most of your time will be in the classroom and maybe in the pool. they have the same thing as an excursion through carnival in the caymons.
Old March 25th, 2003, 05:33 PM
Tactics

Default Re: Re: Re: what to do

Triumph is a great ship and you'll have a blast but on ANY Carnival ship i'll bet you'll find the same problem of chairs being save and what not. That's just how it is. You just have to jocky for position and get the right spot. I say if everyone else saves chairs then why not you. Have fun!
Old March 25th, 2003, 11:24 PM
Shrek

The only way to get a chair is

1) get 3 buckets of beer

2) lots of sunblock

3) dont go home the night before, just sleep out there and drink, thats what I did last week
Old March 26th, 2003, 07:18 AM
Admiral

Hey Ben to answer your question, yes during spring break there are alot of kids period and I did not think there was a problem with underage drinking, it was the adults that were the problem! We did spring break 3 times.
Old March 26th, 2003, 11:04 AM
Lenda

Hi Ben,

I went during Spring Break and there were a lot of High School and College kids. You will find them all over the deck during the day and at night go to Hollywood Dance Club. In regards to underage drinking. I did see quite a bit of kids who looked underage drinking. Then again, I'm 21 but look like I'm 18. Some people will card you, but it's hit or miss. I was carded twice. I would say just try to find a bartender or waitor/waitress that you have noticed does not ask for I.D.
Old March 26th, 2003, 01:49 PM
Admiral

Ben,
I won't say it can't happen because I know how darn sneaky kids can be BUT, they cannot obtain alcohol without someone over the age of 21 buying it for them as their cards are flagged with being under 21. Security also will remove any alcoholic beverages they see underage people using and report them to the responsible party. They just don't put up with this anymore.
Jim