Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 28th, 2003, 03:27 PM
markferman

Default Price Drop - little credit...

Just checked my cruise and the price has gone down $200 but when I called the best they would do for me is a $100 ship board credit.

My TA couldn't do better than this as they say when they talked to Carnival that their price hasn't been reduced - but they would give me $100 shipboard credit.

I guess I should have waited to book my cruise a few more weeks to get the better price.

What do you all think, am I right to be a slight bit sad (we thought we paid a good price originally, but then that m-i-l-i-t-a-r-y thing happended and the price dropped) or should I just be happy I got something "back" ?

Oh and on a real super positive note, we got our package in the mail today and my wife is waiting for me to come home before we open it and do the happy dance (although the kids don't know about it, so we will have to wait for them to go to sleep before we open it and do the dance).

Mark
6th cruise coming up, this time the first time on Carnival and the Inspiration 4/27/03
Sponsored Links
Old March 28th, 2003, 03:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Price Drop - little credit...

Mark,

You wrote , "but then that m-i-l-i-t-a-r-y thing happended". You wouldn't be talking bad about our military, would you????

King
Old March 28th, 2003, 03:35 PM
markferman

Default Re: Re: Price Drop - little credit...

nope, not at all, I was trying not to get banned for a post that is off topic
like others on other boards. I am totally behind the women and men doing their job !!
Old March 28th, 2003, 03:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Price Drop - little credit...

Glad to hear it..I was just checking.

King
Old March 28th, 2003, 03:40 PM
Mark M

Default Re: Re: Re: Price Drop - little credit...

so...I ordered my tickets thru Carnival directly I think. I called 1-800-Carnival...blah blah blah. But anyways...the original price was $499 it's now down to $349. Should I call and see if I can get the shipboard credit? If I do call...how exactly do you experienced people suggest I approach it? Thanks I know it's only $150...but hey...if I can get some credit on board or somethin' why not?
Old March 28th, 2003, 03:45 PM
markferman

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Price Drop - little credit...

Call and tell them you noticed the price has gone down and was wondering if there is an upgrade or shipboard credit available. Just be direct, that is what I did with my TA and Carnival themselves should be no different, but heck I didn't do that good getting a credit.

Howevery when I booked a 6A I was immediatly given an upgrade to a 6C, so that was nice.

Mark
Old March 28th, 2003, 04:32 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

I think I would be happy with the shipboard credit....after final payment is made they don't have to give you credit or upgrade or refund.

Old March 28th, 2003, 05:13 PM
Admiral

Lisa is right! Once you have paid in full and it's within 70 days, they don't have to do anything. My cruise went down $100pp 3 weeks before sailing and CCL would not nothing.
Old March 28th, 2003, 05:22 PM
Admiral

Mark,
Couple things. Yes you should be very happy that you got the additional shipboard credit. Like you said, the price was quite good when you booked and you were happy so nothing should change that. These last minute reductions should not last, it is just the cruiselines trying very hard to get as many onboard as possible with the hopes that they will book again during better times.
As for getting 'banned' for being off-topic, not on these boards or at Cruisemates. We don't ban anyone. We will only delete posts that do not meet the posted rules which can be found on the message board main page. Basically we ask that you do not use profanaity, make personal attacks, post inflammatory remarks, nor make advertisements. We are pretty open.
Jim

Old March 28th, 2003, 09:26 PM
Passenger

Thanks,
Like I said, I was only a little sad. I am thrilled I got anything actually. $100 credit is almost a massage for one of us. So that is great.

Just read all of my cruise package information and the only thing I was thinking was I didn't see the e-mail address that I thought came with the room.

Thanks for the great welcome.
Looking forward to hanging out here.
Old March 28th, 2003, 10:23 PM
Passenger

I booked thru travelocity and noted the price went down. Called travelocity and they called Carnival on the phone. Wasn't given a shipboard credit option but was upgraded from 6A to 6D.
Old March 31st, 2003, 10:23 AM
JenniferC

I'm leaving on 4/7 and my original price was $349 per person and I booked 6 at that time got upgraded 2 times then got $450 on board credit, then turned around and booked 2 more people at $199 for the original room I paid for. Not bad I guess. And I did this thru carnival myself.
Old March 31st, 2003, 12:19 PM
Admiral

Carnival told my TA the same thing, when I mentioned the prices went down and we had booked more than 6 months earlier. After her discussions with them, they deducted $100 off the invoice. Subsequent to final payment though, each cabin in the TA's group was given a "large" cabin credit. We are all in Cat. 8's and higher. I don't know why or how, but she emailed all of her group with the great news.
Bon Voyage
Old April 1st, 2003, 01:21 PM
L Galloway

mark,
I just went through the same thing. we were told to book early for best rates. we booked a little 4 day cruise on Fantasy for a family of four, the cost for a 6-A ocean view was 2150.00 total. we were given a promotional code to give our travel agent after I wouldn't book directly with carnival which once booked would automatically give us an upgrade from 6-A to 6-D. We booked with the agent and gave her our promotional code and paid our 600.00 deposit. Carnival would not honor the upgrade, but said it was "very likely" that we would be moved up. In the meantime, the cruise price dropped twice. Our agent called and they offered to move us up to a 6-D (which is what we were supposed to have been given the first time) or a $200.00 onboard credit. We took the upgrade, but now I am totally disgusted because the price has dropped yet again. The category 6-A now would cost us only 1644.00 and the category D that we are booked in is now only 1756.00. So, I understand fully what you mean. They tell you to book early to get the best rates, yet you can book right before and get a good rate too, especially if you have the cash. We booked only 1 month before the 30 day deadline so we had to come up with our money in 30 days, so had I known we could have waited a few more weeks I would have. I would suggest that you call either Carnival or your TA and be polite, but direct that you feel it's only right to give you some type of credit or upgrade. My TA told me that we have hit the 60 day before the cruise deadline so we had little bargaining power, the way I see it, the refund I would be due and the money I would be spending onboard should be incentive enough, not to mention the possibility of earning repeat business. Your only out of something if you don't try.

L. Galloway
Old April 1st, 2003, 02:57 PM
Darrell

Lisa is totally correct is what she said, I also help her with her problem, and have helped others with the same problem in the past. I check every Monday morning to see what the rates are for current cleints, and also to get rates for the next 3 sailings of various ships.

After you book your trip, find out when the last day for changes is, and make sure you check your rates until then, after that you if you have a choice or upgrade or cabin position, find out if your cabin is assigned, and see where you "might" be placed, before you decide which one to do.

Darrell
Old April 3rd, 2003, 07:19 AM
Passenger

Mark

We are sailing on the Legend on April 19th - the price dropped plus Carnival was offering free upgrades for our cabin. I called my TA who was able to secure the free upgrade. The next day I check again and the prices were still lower than we had paid so I called back my TA and said I wanted the credit (final payment had been made weeks before) - they said carnival already gave me an upgrade and that was it. I was insistant that I wanted the credit - we did a three way call with Carnival and Carnival credited me (not shipboard credit but on my credit card) - $446 plus I kept the two category upgrade. Don't give up as Carnival will work with you if you keep at it. Just don't take No for an answer.

Kathy
Old April 3rd, 2003, 12:26 PM
Admiral

On a 4 day cruise if you are outside the 61 day limit you have more than just bargaining power! You can cancel without penalty and rebook period. Your agent needs to be more receptive and work harder for you it seems from your report. If you are still outside that time you can just cancel with them and go with someone that works for your business and they better know that.
Jim

Old April 3rd, 2003, 02:42 PM
bunny

just called travelocity and got a $300 credit and upgrade from 4a to a 6c for my daughters cabin ..my cabin is a cat 12 and they have been sold out so they can't do anything for me because they can't verify the price drop last week...i should have called then..but i just read this thread today..gonna call carnival next..my cabin went down $900 so a little credit would be nice..
Old April 3rd, 2003, 03:29 PM
Passenger

I booked and paid for my trip with a T/A at the beginning of March. Cruising April 13th -
Victory booked a 4a and my T/A said there is no way I will be upgraded in fact the cruise price has gone up. Should I call Carnival directly? This is my 4th cruise on CCL and after reading all the above posts will not use this T/A again.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old April 3rd, 2003, 04:27 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to pridevacation

Hello KP

If the price has gone up, then probaly not going to get an upgrade. Your rate should remain the same, ever since you put the deposit down, your price is frozen.

However, when checking in, ask if you can, and I always tell my client to get there early, first come first upgrade is the cruise line motto.

Darrell
Old April 4th, 2003, 10:32 AM
Beginner

HI ........I was a little confused i am a category 8A on the conquest sailing from New Orleans on the 20th of April but my room number starts with 6000's and if you happen to know if there is a big diffrence with the upper deck vs. the empress deck ...they said my room is in the middle of the ship ( which they said was better )and an upgrade would only mean one deck higher but either all the way in the front or the back of the ship....Does anyone know the better location??? thanks
Old April 4th, 2003, 10:44 AM
First Mate

Lisa

If you ask me, go for the upgrade, if look at the deck plans the Upper deck is right above alot of "busy" sections of the ship, and the upgrade will put you 1 floor higher and away from the noise. And your Category (8) has nothing to do with the floor number. 8A just starts on Deck 6.

Also when you upgrade to 8B, that is only available front or back, due to Category 11 and 12 taking up the mid ship.

Lisa, also verify that your ship will bring you back to Gulfport and not NOLA, cause I do think the last full round-trip sailing from Gulfport is yours or the 27th of April.

Darrell
Old April 5th, 2003, 05:42 PM
Passenger

Went from an 8C to a 9A, after a little misunderstanding went back to 8C with refund to credit card and ship board credit.
Old April 6th, 2003, 01:03 PM
Admiral

A good TA is invaluable to say the least. My TA just got us a discount on the Fantasy sailing in 60 days. He has gotten us discounts up to 2 weeks before sailing as well.

My recommendation would be to get a TA who does a lot of business with Carnival. The Carnival reps want to take care of the TA's who send them a lot of business.

Regards,
Thomas
Old April 6th, 2003, 01:40 PM
Admiral

I have never had a problem with Celebrity in getting refund when price goes down...even after payoff date. Could the problem (sometimes) be the TA not wanting to lose some commission?

Post Edited (04-06-03 14:58)

Old April 6th, 2003, 03:11 PM
Passenger

Celebrity still adjusts price after final payment ... for now.
Old April 8th, 2003, 08:04 PM
Passenger

when are you going/ which ship?
Old April 9th, 2003, 07:29 AM
Leigh

I emailed Bob Dickinson at Carnival when our price for our 8G on Pride dropped $500. Because TA said Carnival would only upgrade us to 8I. The day after my email I got a message from TA saying we were upgraded to a cat. 11! Im keeping it a secret from my husband. My email was very nice and just explained all the details - what we paid, that we booked in advance and didnt think we should be penalized, and that we felt we should receive ship credit or an upgrade to a 9A or above.
Old April 9th, 2003, 11:54 AM
First Mate

I can just imagine how many emails Mr Dickinson will be getting now!!

As a TA, I do not let 1 person tell me the client can't be upgraded, I will call back and get a different reservationist, and have her help me.

Darrell

June 4, 20004 American Queen
November 20, 2004RCCL Grandeur/Seas
January 29, 2005 Carnival Sensation
September 11, 2006 Carnival Holiday
Old May 7th, 2003, 03:30 PM
kenya

Thomas,
Will you please e-mail me tohe name of a GOOD TA? Thanks ;o)