Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 1st, 2003, 02:49 PM
Passenger

Default Triumph Review/W. Carribean

Good and Bad....where to start? This was my first cruise and after all I had read and heard from Cruisemates, Carnival, travel agents, etc. I was kind of disappointed. The Triumph was a nice ship..very big, clean, but needed a few repairs and updates. My cabin was wonderful. Empress Level 7228. I would never cruise again without a balcony. The extra money is worth it. Most of the staff were very friendly, but there were a few who were just simply unacceptably rude. They acted as if you were putting them out if you asked for something.Everyone has a bad day, but these people were grumpy every time I saw them. (Bartenders)
The ports of call were all nice. I would like less time in Cozumel and more in Gr. Caymen and Jamaica. The security was wonderful. I felt secure in all ports.
The food was good in the Paris Room. Some great apps. and desserts. The buffets weren't very good. Boring and lots of frozen items. The NY Deli was good, as well as the Grille.
The Lido deck, which had the pools was nice but, sometimes just too crazy. You could rarely get a chair after 8:00am. Lots of saving. Lots of drunk, obnoxious people. Not a kids atmosphere at all. I even saw some "exposed" men! Stewards just walked by.
Tours were nice, but overpriced. A employee told me that Carnival gets 40% of the charge. That is ridiculous. The pictures were pretty corny also. Not very good shots. I only bought one picture and would have liked more. The gift shop was nice. I purchased alcohol, jewelry and gifts at good prices. I liked the idea of the Sail and Sign Card. The TV accomodations were pretty bad. Very few channels. I like to watch a little TV before bedtime and in the AM. Cruise director, John was very funny and informative. Liked most of the shows.
I don't know....like I said......good and bad. We'll try again I hope.
I doubt I will try Carnival again. I have heard rave reviews about Princess and Royal Carribean. I believe these higher priced cruise lines would get rid of the "rif raf" people and be a little more organized and relaxed. I wouldn't ever take children on a Carnival cruise after seeing what I saw on our trip.
Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2003, 03:26 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Triumph Review/W. Carribean

Don't bet on the higher priced lines " getting rid of the rif-raf. "
Having dollars does not mean one also has " sense ".
Old April 1st, 2003, 08:06 PM
Yeoman

Thanks for your review.. although you are making me a bit nervous!
We are bringing our kids on this ship in less than 5 weeks. Can you give some specifics why you think the cruise was bad for children? Did you have a lot of kids on board?
Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Cathy
Old April 2nd, 2003, 09:34 AM
DonnaAldred

Default Re: Re: Triumph Review/W. Carribean

First of all, I have to say I take offense to the original poster insult that folks that cruise Carnival are "Rif-Raf." I don't care what cruise line you are on...you get all kinds of people. Some who behave appropropriately and some who don't. How much you spend on a cruise means nothing.

Cathy, don't be nervous. My family cruised on Triumph over February school vacation, there had to be 1000 kids on board, and we HAD A BLAST. One of the best family vacations we have ever had together. We enjoyed ourselves so much we are booking another one for next February.

There will be lots for your kids to do, if they are older, they can just hang out with the other kids on board by the pool, by the pizzeria or in the arcade. If they are young, you can enroll them in Camp Carnival.

Email me for specific questions, I'd be glad to answer. My kids are 9, 13 and 17, and there is not a thing to be nervous about!
Old April 2nd, 2003, 10:43 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Re: Triumph Review/W. Carribean

Donna...

Thanks for the encouragement!
Our kids are little 4 1/2 and 8. They cannot wait for camp carnival! We told them, they can go as much or as little as they want. It will be completely up to them. We are actually looking foward to some of the family activities they have. This will be our first time on a family cruise, my husband and I went on the Destiny 4 yrs ago, so we know what to expect for couples... and feel that we wont miss anything if we have to skip a show, etc.

what excursions did your 9 year old like? We are stil up in the air as far as that goes.

Thanks,
cathy
Old April 2nd, 2003, 01:08 PM
suzann

you can go on any line and have the same type of crowd no matter what you spend! I have been on the Triumph 7 times and loved every cruise.
Old April 3rd, 2003, 09:23 AM
Yeoman

I didn't intend to make you nervous, because I do agree that you can run into ignorant acting people in any location. However, I was disappointed in alot of the behavior that was going on on OUR cruise and I did NOT like how the Carnival staff handled it. One example was how a man decided to walk around the Lido deck with a 3 Ft. fake penis under an apron he was wearing. This was right in front of all the guests including the hundreds of children that were present. Also the couple who continuously looked like they were having sex in the hot tub. The crew members continuously just walked by and laughed in both incidences. I find this totally inappropriate and not in the least bit funny. My child in only 1 and would not know the difference, but the 12+ yr. olds thought it funny enough to take pictures!!!
Camp Carnival looked like it was a great options for children. We continuously ran into the group and the kids looked like they were having a great time.
It is the whole point of this forum to rate your cruise and let other know how about experiences on the different lines............and that is what I have done. I would not do Carnival again for other reasons besides the "rif raf" people that we encountered. The food quality, time on the islands, etc. did not EXCEED my expectations. I did meet lots of great people on our cruise that had the exact same feelings as we did and if you would like their emails, I would gladly let you correspond with them with their agreement. Two of these couples have continuously taken Carnival cruises and have been happy, but they have seen a downfall in the quality of the trip also.
Old April 3rd, 2003, 12:22 PM
Admiral

Cathy,
Where the heck were the decent mature people on your cruise! I would not really wait for security but would have told the immature bore to put that prop away immediately! Very crude and NOT typical at all. Sometimes people need to stand up for what is proper and decent and not wait for someone else to say something. Probably nobody said anythning to the security people and as nobody complained or showed the disgust they should have, why should they do anything? It's a burdun placed upon all of us to not only act with some sense of class and decency, but also demand the same from others. I don't mean we should always place our own morals upon others but some things that shock the concious of everyone should be stopped.
Jim

Old April 3rd, 2003, 01:20 PM
DonnaAldred

Cathy, we did not do any excursions as we really just wanted to shoot from the hip. I wish that we had done something on St. Thomas. On St. Maarten, we did the beach for the day on our own and had the best time. I don't know if you are doing W. or E. Carribean. Check out the Destinations section of this board and you will find many ideas.

Good luck!
Old April 3rd, 2003, 03:03 PM
Passenger

I agree, however these people were so wasted that I was not going to say a word. I just moved to another part of the ship. If they were going to act so indecent, who knows how they would respond to me saying anything to them???? They were so loud, obnoxious and, by the way from NY. HA HA
Plus I had to be on the ship the next 4 days with them...........I didn't need them making my cruise any worse.
Live and learn. I can't wait for our next cruise on Royal Carribean. We are planning another in the fall to the southern Carribean. I'm glad we have something to look forward to. Also to my surprise..........the cruise is considerably less than Carnival for a balcony room which is an added bonus.
Old April 3rd, 2003, 09:25 PM
Yeoman

Well...

thanks for your honest reviews.
As far as the adults acting like idiots... this is going to happen. And If I dont respond to them.. then maybe my kids won't react either. Plus, we are going to do many family activities that maybe I will keep my kids away from the drunks.

There are 3000 people on board.... everyone cannot be wonderful like they are on RCCL cruises. (kidding). The one reason why we have enjoyed Carnival so much in the past, is that there are so many different types of people.

Cathy