Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 4th, 2003, 10:26 AM
bunny

Default new orleans port?

on inspiration 4/20 is the ships port close to french quarter..how far up the missippi does the ship go?any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Old April 4th, 2003, 10:51 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to pridevacation
Default Re: new orleans port?

Bunny

You are docking where the Conquest usually docks, and VERY close to the French Quarter, to save time get a cab if you can but since you are there from 9am to 6 pm I would not worry.

Also try the Riverwalk shopping area, it is right there where you dock, but do that LAST, since your ship is parked right there.

Darrell
Old April 4th, 2003, 02:17 PM
First Mate

Hi. Yes you are right by the French Quarter. i t beautiful there. New Orleans is my favorite port to leave from. Did our last 2 cruises. Also the Inspiration is gorgeous. We love that ship. Enjoy............ Char.
Old April 4th, 2003, 04:09 PM
Andy B

New Orleans is quite a ways up the river from the gulf. I would guess at least 40 miles, maybe more. It's a very interesting trip, pretty desolate out towards the gulf but the territory gets gradually more industrialized of course closer to New Orleans.
Andy
Old April 5th, 2003, 09:40 AM
Passenger

On the Ispiration April13- ANy suggestions of what to do in New Orleans for the day? Are any of the jazz clubs open during the day?
Old April 5th, 2003, 11:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: new orleans port?

Howard, the French Quarter Festival ( or maybe at this time we should call it the Freedom Quarter Festival) will be going on the weekend you're in town. Go check it out! Lots of great music, food, and arts & crafts. Have a great trip and enjoy the festival.
Old April 7th, 2003, 09:38 AM
bunny

thanks for all replys.... new orleans sounds great!
Old April 7th, 2003, 03:48 PM
Curt

Official New Orlinean here. The ship docks pretty close to the Quarter but it is quite a walk but not bad if your in shape. As the crow flies new orleans is about 50 miles from the mouth of the River, However with all the twists and turns you will actually travel about 150 miles. It will take about 6-8 hrs depending on currents. By law the ship is piloted by a "river pilot" and not the captain while in the river. If you stay up late enough you can watch the river pilot dissembark from the ship while it is moving. It happens right when you get to the mouth and you see all the oil rigs. A "pilot boat" will come up to the side of the ship, while in motion, and the river pilot will jump from the ship to the small pilot vessel. You can always tell a pilot boat by looking at the lights on it. "White over red means pilot ahead". Any other New Orleans info needed just let me know.
Old April 7th, 2003, 06:33 PM
Passenger

glad to hear that New Orleans is your favorite port to leave from. I love New Orleans, but we have never sailed from there. We are going to spend a few days in the city pre & post cruise. We leave on the HOLIDAY on Saturday. We have never sailed on ship that small...have you by any chance sailed her....any advice. Thanks!!! Roni
Old April 7th, 2003, 07:06 PM
Mike D.

Just got off of the Holiday today. The ship is small and takes some getting use to since I just cruise on the Conquest the end of Feb. Still a nice ship with few complaints. The magician/hypnotist was great. The trip down the Mississippi was rather interesting. The ship listed quite a bit to the point I felt I was on an old "Batman" episode. This lasted for a couple of hours as we traveled down the river. Once in the open gulf this all went away and the ride was quite smooth for a smaller ship. Have fun and don't forget Carlos and Charlies in Cozumel......BIG PARTY PLACE!
Old April 8th, 2003, 08:56 AM
LAC

what is the legal age to drink in new orleans
Old April 8th, 2003, 09:42 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to pridevacation

21 years old.

Darrell

June 4, 20004 American Queen
November 20, 2004RCCL Grandeur/Seas
January 29, 2005 Carnival Sensation
September 11, 2006 Carnival Holiday
Old April 8th, 2003, 01:53 PM
First Mate

When did the Inspiration come back too New Orleans? I was on the inspiration in May and she is a nice ship and service was great. But when we went to book for March we went on the holiday because the Inspiration was in Tampa. Would have loved to take the Inspiration again, and if it's back, somebody tell me for how long because I went to Carnival's website and it's still showing it's in Tampa.
Old April 8th, 2003, 01:56 PM
First Mate

ok I found the answer to my questions. I miss understood the statement and I didn't realize that the Inspiration Docked in New Orleans as one of it's port of calls. I was getting happy thinking she was back.
Old April 8th, 2003, 08:13 PM
Passenger

now I am worried...the boat "listed"...last time I had a major list...I swore of sailing FOREVER!!! We sold the boat...never had that to happen on cruise ship...glad you warned me...will keep my life jacket on! Will definitely go to Carlos & Charlies...we always have a GREAT time there...However, this is another first that we will be doing alone...I am beginning to think we are going to be totally alone...can't find anyone going with us. Glad to hear that you had a good time. Roni
Old April 8th, 2003, 08:14 PM
Passenger

did you enjoy the HOLIDAY?
Old April 10th, 2003, 02:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Don't forget to take a swamp tour while in New Orleans. We went with Cajun Encounters. They picked us up from a hotel in the French Quarters. Luca was the captain of our boat. He's the one without shoes! Great bunch of people who offer a smaller more personalized service. I understand that the warmer weather really brings out the gators which we didn't get to see.