Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 8th, 2003, 09:40 PM
Captain

Default where do we stay in NOLA

We are going on the Conquest June 1st. Need to make our hotel reservations for May 31st. Anyone have good hotel recommendations? We fly in to NOLA about 5pm, so will pretty much just eat dinner and rest up for our week of fun and relaxation. Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Old April 9th, 2003, 11:55 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to pridevacation
Default Re: where do we stay in NOLA

The Embassy Suites hotel is the closest one to your cruise ship terminal. It is also close to the Royal Carb and the Delta Queen terminals too.

Darrell

June 4, 20004 American Queen
November 20, 2004RCCL Grandeur/Seas
January 29, 2005 Carnival Sensation
September 11, 2006 Carnival Holiday
Old April 9th, 2003, 02:50 PM
Christi

Default Re: Re: where do we stay in NOLA

Go to Priceline.com and it will allow you to pick options in the French Quarter, Garden District, Airport, etc....

I'm cruising on the Conquest in Sept and got a 4 star hotel this way in the French Quarter for only $89.

Priceline.com is the best route to go for hotels.

Christi Q.
Old April 9th, 2003, 08:48 PM
Captain

Christi-Which hotel did you go with? Is the French Quarter close to the docks? I had heard that a great place to stay is the Marriott. Anyone know? Thanks for the help!
Old April 10th, 2003, 03:36 PM
bob sweeney

I have to put in a plug for my favorite NO hotel, the Royal Sonesta. It is right in the middle of the french quarter and huge (takes up all of a city block) and one of the border streets around it is Bourbon. All the people I've met who work there are extremely helpful, almost unbelieveably so. The rooms are not lavish (at least the one's I've stayed in) but are nice but the lobby area and pool area are very nice. I have stayed there three times and never had a bad experience. You have to be kind of a scavenger about room rates though because they vary WIDELY. They will run specials where a room normall $190 a night will be $69 a night. May is a particularly good time IMO since it is after mardi gras but before the summer tourism season gets into full swing and many deals are to be had. Just my $.03.
Old April 10th, 2003, 03:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

We stayed at the Ramada Limited in Metairie. They offer free shuttles (Airport and FrenchQuarters). It was very nice, inexpensive and centrally located.
Old April 11th, 2003, 10:19 AM
Curt

I'm from N.O. and if your just looking for a place to stay, I would not recommend the French Quarter. It will be very pricey and rather noisey. Runner's Idea is probably not a bad bet.
To get from the airport to the ship you will travel from Kenner to Metairie to New Orleans.
The Airport is in Kenner, not too much out there, not real nice either.
Most places in Metairie would be fine.
Don't stay anywhere that is located on Airline HWY.
Most places on Veterans Blvd. would be fine.

Kenner to ship-30min
Metairie to ship-20min
Downtown, French Quarter to ship-10min.

With all your luggage no place is close enough to walk to the ship.
Let me know if you need any more info.
Old April 11th, 2003, 10:26 AM
Curt

If you do stay downtown or in the Frech Quarter.
The Marriot is nice, also the Marriot Courtyard is nice.
The Hotel Monteleone is very nice. (on royal one block from bourbon)
The Royal Senesta is very nice. (in the heart of all the action)
The Sheraton is nice
The Double tree is nice.
The Westin is nice.
The Embassy Suites is nice. (real close to the ship, almost close enough to walk)
The Holiday in on Canal is a little away from all the action, and scary to walk to at night.
Old April 11th, 2003, 11:03 PM
Captain

Curt-Thank you so much. Have heard that the Conquest may be docking at a different place (some industrial place of some sorts) when she comes back to NOLA. From all your help looks like we would be happy with th Embassy Suites....since it is "real close to the ship".....where it was docking, that is. How much is a cab fare going to be from the airport to Embassy Suites? My reason for asking is two-fold. Had checked on one way transfers from Carnival to get us back to the airport when we return, and they quoted $35, which seemed like alot. If they are still in Gulfport than they won't charge for the transportation. Again thanks
Old April 14th, 2003, 12:30 PM
Curt

Don't quite remember what the price was for a cab from the airport to downtown was. I believe its a standard price though. Try calling united cab at 504-522-9771, they should be able to tell you. Not sure how it works but it seems like if they are still in Gulfport, they would probably bus you from the cruise terminal which would require you to get a cab to the terminal anyway?
Old April 14th, 2003, 03:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Curt, I agree with you 100% that the Monteleone is very nice. I spent a week there last year and loved it. I found this hotel for only $79 a night at hoteldiscounts.com. It is on Royal street which is 1 block over from Bourbon. If you want a quiet night this is the place to stay. Hotels on Bourbon have a lot of street noise. The Monteleone is convenient to everything, but on a quieter street. I highly recommend it.