Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 12th, 2003, 08:16 PM
Passenger

Default Roatan

Any recommendations on what to see or do in Roatan?

Chandris: March 1989
Jubilee: Nov. 1991
Jubilee: Feb. 1996
Fascination: May 1997
Jubilee: Mar. 1998
Elation: Nov. 2000
Legend: Dec. 2002
Paradise: sailing Nov. 30, 2003
Sponsored Links
Old April 12th, 2003, 08:43 PM
VickiC

Default Re: Roatan

Hi,
We will be on the Paradise on May 4-11, will let you know when we get back what we found. I have been told it is a great beach island and shopping is right across from the pier.
There is a garden, but not much else I am told.
Vicki
Old April 13th, 2003, 04:10 PM
MichelleM

We were in Roatan on the Paradise's first sailing to the port.

The snorkeling is great. We went on Carnival's Catamaran sail and snorkel and had a great time. You are taken via bus to the Plantation Bay (or Parrot Bay I can't remember) beach resort and then you board the catamaran there.

There is really good shopping for wood items right across the street from the pier. They have very nice, very cheap handcarved wood stuff. We got a hand carved mahagony salad bowl set and a wall hanging for very cheap.
The prices are negotiable.
Old April 13th, 2003, 08:17 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Roatan

Thanks. how much was the excursion?

Old April 14th, 2003, 09:16 AM
Terry Tate

Just got back off the Paradise, We did the Dive Trip at Antony Kay and it was great. The most talked trip was the cave tubing trip.
Old April 14th, 2003, 06:27 PM
Jamiegunter

We went on the Paradise's Feb 23rd cruise. We went on the West End Island Tour. They first took us down to a shopping area, were we went to this bar on stilts out in the ocean and seen some native dancers. You had about a hour to shop. Then went to a Butterfly farm, and then to the Botanical Gardens. It was about 4 hours long, and a great tour! Our tour guides name was Lorna if you happen to take this tour and get her. She was great, likes to talk alot!!! Have fun, book your tour for Roatan as soon as possible because they sell out and you dont want to explore on your own there. They dont recommend it.
Old April 14th, 2003, 06:28 PM
Jamiegunter

The Price for the West End tour was $45 a person.
Old April 14th, 2003, 06:36 PM
MichelleM

The catamaran sail and snorkel was about $50/person.
There are no cheap tours on Roatan. Since it is a new port to Carnival there aren't very many excursions (compared to somewhere established like Grand Cayman).

I finally got around to sending in my review for our cruise and it is now posted under the reader reviews if you want more info.
Old April 23rd, 2003, 12:20 AM
cnssu123

Hey just want to say Hi! As I will be traveling on the Paradise in 5/4 as well!
Old April 24th, 2003, 09:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

In Roatan if anyone is interested in scuba diving or snorkeling there is this place called Inn of Last Resort and it is a really cool place. We went there last year on our cruise that went to Roatan and two of the people in our group wanted to dive and six of us just wanted to snorkel, we caught a cab on our own and set up a price for the taxi ride and asked if he would also pick us up and he did. The Inn is great and looks like someplace out of a movie. They took us out to this place to snorkel that was the best we have ever done. It was a wonderful experience and a great day. The Inn did have a website www.innoflastresort.com if anyone would want to contact them. The owners were great to us and we wouldn't hesitate going back there again if we ever return to that port. The prices were better there than any others we had found also. Hope this helps someone looking for a great experience.

Gail
Old April 25th, 2003, 02:00 AM
furluvcats

Take the Tabaya Beach excursion! Its the most magical spot I've ever ventured to! The mountains meet the beach, the water is the clearest you'll find, and the snorkeling there is out of this world. In some places the reef is so close to the top of the ocean, you have to be careful not to step on it, so as not to kill it. Theres a man there who will make you the neatest souvinier...he makes weaves palm frond hats as you wait, for 5.00. It truly is paradise. Theres a carribean band playing in the back drop, they serve a fabulous lunch and the beach is very private. You'll love it! Have a great cruise!
Old May 3rd, 2003, 07:09 PM
Passenger

Thank you everyone for the info. it has been very helpful!

Old May 3rd, 2003, 11:01 PM
First Mate

Which ship were you on when sailing Chandris? We were on the S.S. Britanis. At the time we sailed her in the 1980's she was the oldest passanger cruiseship sailing. It was pretty intresting. I remember there was a long room with a very long mirror where multiple ladies would go to blowdry and curl their hair as there was no electrical outlet to do so in our very small bathroom. We had a Greek staff serving us in the dining room and service was the best we have ever had. Did you know that the S.S. Britanis now sits at the bottom of the ocean? The stacks on this ship has the XX that Celebrity has now. That was our very first cruise.
Libby
Old May 5th, 2003, 08:53 PM
Asylver1

I've been to Roatan twice, the first time I went to Tabyana Beach but the water was rough that day and they would not let us snorkel for fear of getting tossed into the coral by the currents. But the second time, I went on what was called the West End Kayak & Snorkel. This was so fun! These two guys, American guys, that live down there have opened a little hotel and restaurant, I think it's called the Seaside or the Seabreeze Inn, the restaurant if the Cannibal Cafe. They were so cool and fun and they pick you up near the pier in an old decorated school bus that they drove down there all the way from Detroit or something. The group splits into two after a lunch at the hotel and half goes snorkeling in the morning, the other goes kayaking and then they switch after a break. I did this on the Norwegian Sea and I highly recommend it, it's $88 if I recall and worth it. That was about 2 1/2 years ago. Ask to see their monkey if you go! (An actual monkey)