Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 23rd, 2003, 05:40 PM
Mikey Sr.

Default High fareS for children

Why does Carnival charge such high fares for children traveling along with their parents? I have traveled most of the major lines and all have reasonable fares for childern. Princess charges about $300 as doesCelebrity and RCCL. Carnival charges $579. My kids are young, all under seven. I don't think they are going to eat the same as an adult. I wish they would get it together as far as this policy. I paid $299 for each of my sons on the Explorer of the Seas. I have traveled CCL three times and don't see any difference in their programs over Celebrity, Princess or RCCL.
Sponsored Links
Old April 23rd, 2003, 06:06 PM
Admiral

Default Re: High fareS for children

It wasn't always that way. Our 1st cruise back in 1997 we paid $249 for the 3rd/4th person.
Old April 24th, 2003, 07:40 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: High fareS for children

In January 2001, 5 day Jubilee out of Tampa, we paid $400 apiece for 2 adults & our 2 children were $80 a piece (plus 100 port - so $180). That was for an outside.

Last week on Grand Princess, the 3rd & 4th rates were so high it was cheaper for us to get 2 cabins.

Also, I was told by a cruise line, can't remember for sure which one, but it must have been Princess or Carnival because those were the only 2 I was looking at recently, that there really are no children's rates, just 3rd & 4th rates.

Go figure.
Old April 24th, 2003, 07:59 AM
L Galloway

The rates vary according to destination, length of cruise and ship and the rates often drop closer to cruise time so maybe you can get an adjustment. Our kids rate started at what our rate has dropped to at this point. Now we are only paying 259.00 per child and we are getting the difference back from our travel agent. I was shocked too because we normally sail with RC and the price was much higher, but now with the adjusted rate it's not too bad.

L. Galloway
Old April 24th, 2003, 04:04 PM
MichelleM

It is not really a children's rate it is just a 3rd/4th person in the cabin rate. They run sales throughout the year discounting those rates, but not during peak season. The sales are during the off season for the most part.
Old April 24th, 2003, 06:32 PM
Yeoman

Sailed on the Explorer with my 7 month old grandbaby last Nov. and she never ate the food on the ship, yet my son paid $500.00 for her. They were in a family suite so perhaps this is why they paid more.
Old May 1st, 2003, 06:35 AM
Cruise Maniac

The prices go up and down for 3rd/4th person just like they do for the first 2. When I was watching prices for our Pride cruise, I saw a huge price drop for first 2 people but at the same time they raised the 3rd/4th person rate by about $200 pp. I guess they want to get their money somehow but it doesn't seem fair.
Old May 1st, 2003, 11:42 AM
First Mate

I'm taking my daughter, her husband and three children with us on a August cruise to Bermuda, aboard the Carnival Pride. MY TA said that Carnival doesn't have "kid rates" like the other cruise lines. I usually cruise RCCL when it's just my husband and myself, but I just can't understand why Carnival (who always advertises it's a fun ship for kids) doesn't have kid rates. I think I'll be going back to RCCL. HAPPY CRUISING.
Old May 1st, 2003, 11:53 AM
First Mate

As a PS to my previous message about Carnival; they also want to charge me $74 each for transfers from the Newark airport to the pier in Manhatten. I'm taking six people with me, and that comes to quite a bit of money. This is the most expensive transfer I've ever heard of and when I called Carnival directly, they said, well you are in New York afterall. Not being familiar with the airport, I don't know if I can get ground transportation cheaper than that or not. I understand there's a supper shuttle there but they don't take reservations over the phone. I hate to wait until we get there to try and find ground transportation. Does anyone have any suggestions? HAPPY CRUISING.
Old May 1st, 2003, 10:57 PM
Sophia

You can feel better after learning how much I paid for my two-year-old as the third passenger on our recent Princess trip. It was $879 plus $70+ in tip for the little one in our balcony cabin. And I acted as the babysitter and camp counseler for my little one, since they require kids to be at least three-years-old to participate in anything and there is no private babysitting. onboard.

(This was our first and may very will be our last with Princess. Were royal Carnival customers, but wanted to try that "LOVE BOAT', but very unsatisfied with the service received. Our friends who cruised with us are royal Royal Caribben customers, and they are not going back to Princess, either.)
Old May 2nd, 2003, 01:59 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: High fareS for children

I've been on 28 cruises and the most with RCCL (we're diamond members) anyway our last cruise was a month ago on Princess; and although it wasn't the first time on Princess, I'm afraid it might be the last. We were on the 15 day Hawaii cruise on the Sun Princess and a lot of days at sea (which I love) except this time, they planned absolutely no activities except for bingo and trivia games. Most of the passengers were 70 or older so that seemed to satsify them, but my husband and I are middle-aged and we were really bored. We still had a great cruise but we couldn't help but compare it to a RCCL Legend of the Seas Cruise we took to Hawaii a few years ago. It was just wonderful. They had afternoon plays, Hawaiian entertainers on board; Captain and Tennell (actually people you've heard of) none of which was the case with Princess. We're going on Carnival in three months and although I use to hate them, I did one a year and a half ago and they've become a lot better than they use to be. We're excited because we're going out of NY for the first time, on a Bermuda Cruise on the Pride. My family's going with me this time (grandkids) so I know we won't be bored this time; they always keep us going........HAPPY CRUISING....
Old May 14th, 2003, 02:57 PM
TwoGirlsMom

Default Re: Re: Re: High fareS for children

I feel so vindicated! We just got back from a week on the Conquest and I was BORED! I am 36 and my husband is 39, witha 5 year old and a 9 month old. The kids program was great, but it seemed like our choices during the day were pool, eat, trivia game or nothing. On RCCL, I remember having to CHOOSE which things to do. Our last cruise was on Explorer and before that we were on Legend in 1995 (We saw Capt & Tenille and I was THRILLED, thank you very much! ) Although I LOVED Camp Carnival and the fact that they offered ($6/hr) babysitting for my infant, I would be willing to pay more next time for a more satisfying experience. One more thing, the ballasting system on Conquest is awful! There's no reason we should feel every wave in 1.5-4 foot seas! The listing was bad. I feel sorry for anyone prone to seasickness.