Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 24th, 2003, 08:08 AM
L Galloway

Default Canadian Citizen/US Resident.What I.D. is needed? Help!!

I have an interesting situation. We booked our cruise several months ago for a 4 day Bahamas/Orlando package with our kids. About a month ago my mother and father-in-law also booked to go with us. My mother in law has been a legal resident of the United States for the past 35 years, but she is still considered a Canadian citizen. My father in law is retired military so they both also have military issued I.D's. Here is where the problem comes in. Her drivers license has her current last name, she has her marriage license and birth certificate to confirm her maiden name and her green card is still in her maiden name, she has applied to have it changed back to the married name, but it can take up to a full year to get a green card issued. She plans to bring the drivers license, military i.d., birth certificate, marriage license, current green card and the paperwork to show she has applied for the name change on the green card. Will this be satisfactory? I am worried about driving all the way to Florida and then them not being able to get on the boat. I called Carnival, but the folks who answer the customer service line had no clue. They were saying if she was married to a U.S. Citizen then she was a U.S. citizen and that's not the case, you have to apply for citizenship, which is why she has the green card to show she is still a canadian citizen, but is a permanent resident of the U.S. Does anyone know anything about this or know who I could contact at the cruise line for 100% verification that this is okay for them? Help!!!
Sponsored Links
Old April 24th, 2003, 09:11 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Canadian Citizen/US Resident.What I.D. is needed? Help!!

Email me and I wil forward you a documentation letter that Carnival emailed to me. It may clear things up for you.

Fantasy Dec 2 Big Easy to Mx
Old April 24th, 2003, 12:38 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Canadian Citizen/US Resident.What I.D. is needed? Help!!

This is also on CCL's website.
Old April 24th, 2003, 01:04 PM
L Galloway

Default Re: Re: Canadian Citizen/US Resident.What I.D. is needed? He

the required documentation is, but the problem is that they can verify the green card is hers because it has the same name as her birth certificate, yet it doesn't match the s.c. drivers license, but then she has a military i.d. and her marriage licence to show that the married name is her legal name. I called Carnival again and during the course of one phone call I had one rep say it was fine, while another rep stated it was not. I don't like this much confusion from the cruise line itself, because if they don't know then we sure don't.

L Galloway
Old April 24th, 2003, 01:09 PM
L Galloway

Default Re: Re: Canadian Citizen/US Resident.What I.D. is needed? He

Nushnakka,
I went back in there again and you are absolutely right! The very last section states the name must be identical on green card to the sailing documents and if it's not then proof of name change (such as her marriage license) must be presented. Woooh, now I feel better, I am going to print that out and bring it with us since the Carnival folks themselves haven't been able to answer that question. Gee you would think they would have had situations like that to come up before.

Thanks,
L. Galloway