Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 30th, 2003, 12:05 PM
Passenger

Default Costa de Maya

Can anyone tell me what there is to do there? We are going on the Canival Inspiration Aug 31 and would like to set up our own site seeing rather than using a ship one. We can't wait this will be our first time on the Insipration.

Thank You

Norwegian Majesty 2002
Paradise 2001
Sponsored Links
Old April 30th, 2003, 01:42 PM
furluvcats

Default Re: Costa de Maya

Costa Maya/Majahaul...
you'll love it there, if you like natural undeveloped beached, liked with conch shells and palm trees.......
When you dock at Costa Maya, there is a new pavaillion area with a great swimming pool, lagoon style, rest. in the center, etc...some shopping, a man with a sombreo and a donkey posing for pics...its quite cute. You'll then a take a ride, cab I think, to neighboring village of Majahaul....the beach I previously described...we got there early, and for the better part of the morning, had the beach entirely to ourselves. We met a villager who took us out on his skiff for 25.00, and showed us the coral reef, great snorkeling, but we didn't go then, and gave us a tour of the coast from the water...it was incredible and money well spent...afterwards we walked along the beach, gathered coconuts and conch shells, and then walked into the village and found a woman baking "Mexican sweet breads" in her hearth oven outdoors...we ought a bag of these for one dollar american, and they were such a yummy treat. When we were there 16 months ago, there was no electricty...just generators they ran in the evenings, people lived in little shack like housing, and thatched roofed homes...gorgeous! Its a friendly place, beautiful, and as of 16 months ago, totally unspoiled...feel glad you're seeing it before it becomes a tourist trap... Realators have signs every where selling property, so it may even now, be more developed than when we first visited there. Its truly one of those magical places, and the beach is great...the beer is cheap!
Old April 30th, 2003, 01:50 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Costa de Maya

We dock there Sept 3 at 10:00am. This sounds like a great place to stop. I will skip the Cruise tours than and just hit the beach. Do you have any suggestions for restaruants? We love eating in local places. I like the idea of the sweet bread also.

Thank You
Old April 30th, 2003, 04:13 PM
furluvcats

We opted to eat lunch on the ship. They have a few open air cafe's, and I went in one to get a drink, but it was just a tad rustic for me, and I have a fear of getting ahold of some funky food in Mexico...lol. If you try a place out, let me know, and maybe I'll be more "adventursome" next time! (But I had no problem eating the homemade sweetbread...lol) I guess bc it wasn't meat! Actually, of all the times we've been to Mexico, we've actually only eaten 1 meal there, and that was in Coz. at Chankanaab Park, and it was excellent, tho pricy, for Mexican fare. You'll enjoy that port. Its really laid back. We're dissapointed that our next cruise doesn't go there. Have a great cruise and can't wait to hear how you liked it and what you did with your day there.\

PS sorry about all the typos...my nails make typing a hazard for me! lol
Old April 30th, 2003, 04:39 PM
Passenger

we ARE ON THE INSPIRATION MAY 4- MAY 11 LOOKING FOWARD TO BEING ON THIS SHIP.i WIL TAKE LOTS OF PICS AND WRIGHT A REVIEW WHEN I GIT BACK.
tHIS IS A WEB SITE WITH PICS OF .
COSTA DE MAYA .<http://users.adelphia.net/~islesea/>
SANDMAN
Old April 30th, 2003, 05:48 PM
furluvcats

Thanks for the pics sanman...FYI reguarding Costa Maya...the pics from that link are not the beach I am talking about in Majahaul...its all white sand...enjoy!
Old April 30th, 2003, 09:18 PM
Passenger

This looks exactly like what we saw in Costa Maya -- only what time did you get there? When we were there everything was very crowded, the shops, the restaurants & the beaches. Sorry, I was not all that impressed with the stop, but have heard a lot of good things from others, so have a good time. Looks like the snorkeling would probably be pretty good, we saw lots of fish, even just from the pier. Didn't go into the town & maybe that was fun. In any event, it's a cruise & you'll have a good time, see something new.
Old April 30th, 2003, 11:31 PM
furluvcats

To get to the pristine, unspoiled beach I am talking about, you need to take the $5.00 taxi ride to Majahaul...NOT the beach by the port, from those pictures. Get out and explore...you'll find beauty off the beaten track! Enjoy!
Old May 1st, 2003, 07:44 AM
Admiral

Otherwise take the ship tour to the ruins. They have only been discovered recently (maybe 8 some years but that is recent). I missed out because I badly sprained my ankle in Cozumel the day before but some pax took their cameras and showed us pic of the ruins and they all enjoyed that tour. Other than going to Majahaul as the prior poster mentioned there is really nothing else to do there. We had to spend the day at the area off the ship and it was ok but I would rather have done the ruins instead.
Old May 1st, 2003, 08:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

Sandman thanks for the pictures they were great. In reference to the pool there, is there any charge to swim there? We are visiting this port for the first time in June on the Inspiration and are looking forward to it.
To the poster that said to take a taxi and explore, did you have any problems with that? I have read in several other posts that it is not a good idea to leave the area near the ship for safety reasons. It would be nice to know that is not a problem and be able to do some exploring. The posts I read said that unless you take a tour with the cruise ship stay close to the dock area. Thanks for any info you can give.

Gail
Old May 1st, 2003, 10:40 AM
furluvcats

Gail, no there is no charge for the pool. Its a saltwater pool, if I remember correctly, but its very clean and nice, the have free floats available as well. This is the only port I have seen this at, and its really nice.

You can feel safe to take a cab there. The people who live there want the money that the cruise passengers are bringing to their area and are not going to do something to jeoprodize this new found income. Everyone there is very friendly, really helpful, and very knowledgable.

Every port we visit, we take off and explore, whether its in Belize, Grand Cayman, Roatan Honduras, Mexico, and we've never met with any problems anywhere. In Coz, we rent our own vehicle, and explore on our own for hours. I urge to break away from the pier and go visit the beautiful, natural beach in Majahaul.

My husband is going to try to scan and upload some of our pics from the town we visit there, so we can share the beauty with you. Have a great cruise!
Old May 1st, 2003, 01:16 PM
Passenger

Thank you all for the great information. We would love to see the pictures taken of the town. Also thank you sandman for the pictures. We are probably going to try the town unless from now until we leave we hear of some bad experiences. So far we have just heard warnings no one seems to have any personel experience with them. If anyone else has any suggestions please feel free to post them it looks as though there are quite a few people interested in this Port.

Thank You

Old May 1st, 2003, 01:27 PM
Admiral

Also Gail, they had a freshwater pool in addition to the saltwater. The one thing that I enjoyed where the Mexican dancers who performed on the stage and thruout the area. They were very good and a pleasure to watch. I also enjoyed just laying in the hammocks and other than a bit of shopping there just was not anything to do at this port. Take the ruins tour or catch a taxi to Majahaul. After you leave the "compund" area it is nothing but jungle. At least a year ago!
Old May 2nd, 2003, 09:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Furluvcats and Nushnaka, thanks to both of you for the information. This is one port we have never visited so we are just trying to figure out the best things to do there. If you take the taxi to Majahul is there only one beach there are do you have to tell the taxi driver a specific beach to take you too? When you are ready to leave the beach area to go back to the ship are there taxis there at the beach to take you back to the ship? I just wouldn't want to get stuck there and not be able to get back. How far from the pier where the ship docks is this town? Has anyone tried snorkeling there, If so how was it? We love to snorkel and are always looking for another good spot. Did you just leave your personal belongings lay on the beach while you were in the water? If we were snorkeling I wonder if it would be safe to leave it lay there? Thanks in advance for any other info you can give us about this new port. I know that whatever we decide to do we will have a great time. There is nothing like a bad cruise. At least we have never had one after going on 12 cruises.

Gail
Old May 2nd, 2003, 05:14 PM
furluvcats

Gail, taxis are close at hand, and you get a return ticket from the cab driver, and can get in any cab with that ticket, no xtra charge. I was just looking at the pics I have and you can see the ship easily from the beach, so its pretty close. Theres only one beach. The snorkeling is supposed to be great, tho we did not do that the day we were there. Enjoy your cruise and you're very smart to ask all these q's before you go!

We leave Sunday to go off to our next cruise...can not wait!!!