Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 1st, 2003, 06:24 PM
Jennie

Default Airport to dock in New Orleans

Just wondering how far away the airport is from the dock in New Orleans? The transfers are $46 round trip, and last year when we went from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami it was only $30... Just wondering if its quite a distance...

Also, can transfers be bought for one way only? If so, is it half?

Is there anything to do within walking distance of the dock?

Thanks, as usual!

Jennie
Sponsored Links
Old May 1st, 2003, 08:46 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Airport to dock in New Orleans

There is a lot to do at the dock in New Orleans. The Riverwalk has loads of shopping and the Aquarium of the America's is next door. You are a short walk from St Charles Cathedral or the Flea Market. Take the trolly for 1.25 to the Old Mint or Farmers Market or to Cafe Du Monde for coffee and beignets. There's the French Quarter not too far and Jax's Brewery. Ya gotta love Nawlin's! Have fun. Denise

ps The airport is quiet a ways out in Metarie, not actually in New Orleans.

Fantasy Dec 2 Big Easy to Mx
Old May 1st, 2003, 10:00 PM
First Mate

I did some research when we were there. It is a trip of about 45 to 50 minutes. The taxi's are very expensive. So the shuttle from the crusie line is the best bet. the most reasonable and they get you just where you need to be. It is worth the money. Dennise told you the rest about River walk and all the sites. I love New Orleans and we went on a cruise out of there twice. Just because it took us back to New orleans. Cafe Du Monde.. Is to die for! Do it all. We stayed the day before and the day after our cruise. It was worth all the fun we had. Greatest food too.... Enjoy..... Char
Old May 2nd, 2003, 06:56 AM
First Mate

Char...don't ya love it? I lived most of my life in small town about 45 min from New Orleans called Gonzales. I have lots of family there so go as often as possible from here in Delaware, which we have been for almost one yr. I really miss just hanging out on a Sat around Jackson Square "people watching" and listening to the music. Louisiana is such a festival state and there is always something happening outdoors. Of course the food is uncompariable. Well, thanks for letting me reminiscence. Denise

Old May 2nd, 2003, 07:14 AM
Admiral

Denise, shameful, if you lived out there then you know the airport is actually in Kenner <VBG>. I lived in Gretna and then Harvey for 9 years. I too miss it very much! We left in '92 and it's been 9 years since we went back but I do want to go back so bad. I used to work downtown and would go to Jackson Square and people watch on my lunch time. Oh my the memories are flowing...
Old May 2nd, 2003, 07:36 AM
First Mate

Nushnakka you jest!!! Yes they do call that area Kenner don't they. I always called anything to the east side Metarie. Do you know where Gonzales is? Oh do you have a cajun accent? How I miss the people and the food! My parents, my daughter and grandbabies, well, the whole bunch live back there. We are here for a two yr contract with the company my husband works for but I truly hope we go back south next yr. Where are you now? Do you remember when the airport was just drive up from Airline Hwy? How things have changed. Jazzland was bought out by Six Flags. Of course Mike Anderson still has the best food in my book. Small world....isn't it?

Old May 2nd, 2003, 09:34 AM
First Mate

http://www.portno.com/cruise_term.htm

Julia St dock.......isn't that a great cam shot.

Old May 2nd, 2003, 01:40 PM
Admiral

Oh Denise, I'm digressing big time. Yes I know where Gonzales is. I am originally from Chicago and now live in Charlotte. My next stop is somewhere in FL. Loved Mike Anderson's esp the hushpuppies. How about the drive thru daiquiri shops, walking down Bourbon St, riding the streetcar down St Charles, Strawberry Festival, Mardi Gras and the list goes on and on! Delaware is a long way for you. I'm sure if/when I go back there will be major changes. I don't cook the cajun dishes too much anymore but I still use the cajun seasoning religiously and I make a good pot of gumbo, oh la we sez c'bon (can't spell the french way but I'm sure you understand what I mean). Thanks for the memories!
Old May 2nd, 2003, 04:17 PM
First Mate

Yes ... Le Bonton Roulle..... Cher' I do miss home and Delaware is soooo different. I cook cajun and some of my friends have tried the gumbo (which they call soup). Too funny. I do get andoulli sausage at Sam's for the chicken gumbo and one day sent some with my hubbby for lunch with the guys and and convinced one dude it was armadillo. Can you believe. Nothin like that southern hospitality. Thank you for stirring my mind, too. Soon, Denise

ps Charlotte would be good!

Post Edited (05-05-03 09:04)
Old May 6th, 2003, 02:07 PM
Curt

Try calling united cab at 504-522-9771, they can give you the rates to the dock. It is not $46/per person I guarantee, more like $25 or so. The airport is about 10 miles from the port but it takes about 25-30min. and if there is traffic its more like 45min.

Ok, had to chime in here, how can you call yourselves New Orlineans when you don't even mention "Mothers". What about Cafe Masparo's and Port of Call. I lived in New Orleans the first 30 of my 32 years. Lets go back a litlle further, what about Mr. Bingle and Maison Blanche. Ok heres one for ya, "The Rivergate". Ok another one "Jefferson Downs". I went to Holy Cross Hight School, remember Holy Angels? Ok, lets go lakeside, what about Brunnings, Fitzgeralds, R&O's. What about Ruth's Chris.
Ok, here is the real test for ya. Whats the name of the Restuarant in Manshack(SP?)?
What about the "Windjammer". Ok, here is one of my favorites "Tony Angelo's". Comon you guys can do better than Mike Andersons.
We moved to Columbia, SC two years ago but still visit NO several times a year.
Old May 6th, 2003, 03:42 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Airport to dock in New Orleans

And did ya'll know the street cars are coming back to Canal St???? And by the way Curt, Port of Call does have the world's best burgers, not to mention the juke box. And oh how I love those HC Tigers......................
Old May 6th, 2003, 05:14 PM
First Mate

Curt it is on the tip of my tongue.....so long since I went to Manchac...... Mennindorfs <sp>? Fantastic crabs but hey Gonzales is the Jambalaya Capital of the World thank you. I think Ruth Chris is overrated but it is a matter of taste. Oh the Copeland lights at Christmas time and yes Maison Blanche is good!! Yes thanks for jarring my memory. Anyone who hasn't cruised from New Orleans should do so and spend a few days there before or after. I really miss the friendly people from south Louisiana but SC would sure beat Delaware. Denise

Old May 6th, 2003, 09:27 PM
clay b

Hey, ya'll.
Greetings from Louisiana. The restaurant in Manchac is Middendorf's.
Excellent this cut catfish.. mmmmmm!

I agree with port o call. You gotta go at least once. I wanna try the steak, too. Good seafood on the lakefront in Metairie. Deanie's..... Bruning's

later,
clay
Old May 7th, 2003, 07:52 AM
Admiral

Ok Ok Curt, we can't remember everything! I was trying to remember the name and place for Middendorf's. Loved that catfish po'boy. But most of the other restaurants mentioned I did not go to. Honestly tho Curt, shame on you as you forgot Cafe Du Monde and the Jax Brewery! Hehe, got you there. I was only a transplant for 9 years but Nawlins is where I call home. How about Algiers and the ferry? Loved boating in the bayous with the camps. Gosh I miss that place. I cried when I left but thought it was the right choice.

Denise, Charlotte is ok but it's so expensive here and unfortunately we moved here and bought a house at the height of the boom here and it has since simmered. I have to stay here now til I can at least make a little profit and the homes start selling again. Altho I have to say when I left NO we should have gone to the north shore instead of leaving. Once again I digress and hindsight is 20/20.

Diane

16 days til my land cruise to Cancun!
Old May 7th, 2003, 09:15 AM
Curt

I didn't mention Cafe Du Monde because it was in one of the previous posts. Ahh, yes Middendorf's, oh the memories.

Ok, here is your next question...Where did the battle of New Orleans take place and why did its victory have no significance?

Ok, here are some more, lets try "The Zepher". Remember when "little woods" was an excellent vacationing place. What about a picnic at "Fort Pike". Can you say "Rigoletts". The algiers ferry, what about the Jackson ST., Chalmette, Breathwait and poydras Ferries. Ok, heres one, what about the"GNO". What about the Moisant Airport, you probably wondered where the (MSY) came from. Oh and how about Pontchatoula, oh the strawberries, can't get them like that anywhere else. I think I could probably go on for days with this
Old May 7th, 2003, 11:15 AM
Admiral

Ok I got it. I crossed the GNO everyday for 9 years because I lived on the "Bestbank". Loved the strawberries. How about the bridge connecting the North Shore to Metairie, I forget what it's called. I hated crossing it, too long and no way out! Ooh, the Huey P Long Bridge, now that was scary! Tipitina's, Pat O'Briens, Southside, Fat City, oh my the list is going on!
Old May 7th, 2003, 01:51 PM
Curt

Congratulations, only someone from New Orleans would know anything about the "Bestbank" The bridge is called the "Causway"-worlds longest bridge over open water-25 miles.
Old May 7th, 2003, 01:54 PM
First Mate

Battle was at Chalmette. If I remember right it was the last battle of the war of 1812 even tho a threaty had already been signed.

The Lake Pontchartrain causeway was verrrry long.

Larry
Old May 7th, 2003, 03:38 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Airport to dock in New Orleans

Hey, anyone know where "Bucktown USA" is? That's where I'm from.........
Old May 7th, 2003, 04:08 PM
Curt

sure, I'll meet you at Dini's
Old May 7th, 2003, 08:51 PM
First Mate

Gosh you guys.... I missed the tour while I was at a band concert at school. Do I remember the Zepher.....I rode that sucker and bout scared me to death, thought I was in Lake Ponchatrain for sure. I can hear the jazz musicians playing on the Riverwalk and smell that Community Coffee. Soon, Denise

Old May 9th, 2003, 10:37 AM
Dick & Marge

Try google search for new orleans airport shuttle. You will find a shuttle service that is $20 round trip and they will drop you off and pick you up at the cruise dock unless the ship is docked somewhere else for some reason (hide river tides, etc.)
Old May 9th, 2003, 11:31 AM
shipbound

Jennie:

Here is the a number you can call for a shuttle that runs from New Orleans airport to the docks.
1-866-5962699 .

Gary