Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 2nd, 2003, 12:36 PM
Beginner

Default Will teenagers be bored?

Hi. I'm considering taking a cruise to the Mexican Riviera this summer from the West Coast with my husband and two teenagers (son - 15 and daughter 17). My concern is that the kids may get bored. They are very active and I'm wondering if anyone knows if Carnival has a good program of activities for teens? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2003, 01:32 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Will teenagers be bored?

My teens refused to do the activities but they did meet up with kids of their ages. The Mex Riviera was nice but it did have alot of sea days and the kids could really get bored with that. Is there another iten you may want to take with more port days?
Old May 5th, 2003, 01:48 PM
Jill_in_Tx

I've only cruised once, on the Celebration and while I didn't have a teenager with me, I can't imagine they would get too bored. There were planned activities going on all the time.... pick up basket ball games, volley ball, pool side activities, etc. Plus the disco was "teen only" from 9 p.m to 11 p.m. which gives the teens a chance to mingle and get to know each other. Once they hook up with some other teens I'm sure they'll have fun.

Enjoy your cruise!

- Jill
Old May 5th, 2003, 06:28 PM
Deb Myers

Hi, we are planning our first cruise on 5/25/03 to the Mexican Riveria, I have two teenage sons, 13 and 15 and they are very excitied. We have reviewed many sites and theycan't imagine all that they will have the chance to do. I don't think they would get bored and they too are very active. Write with any questions you may have.
Old May 6th, 2003, 12:01 PM
shipbound

Hey Deb:
During May most of the school breaks are over so I would guess there may not be many
teens on any cruise ship ,unless you are pulling them out of school which most parents
would not since summer break is just a few weeks away.

Gary
Old May 6th, 2003, 12:10 PM
Passenger

Only if they're determined to be.
Old May 6th, 2003, 04:58 PM
onefinechic

Well I'm 17 and just got off of a 12 day cruise and have to say that I very much so enjoyed myself. I went with my parents and sister (24). We were at sea for 5 days straight (to Hawaii on the Spirit). I think that as long as the teenager is willing to listen to things and not expect to have 101 things to do it'll be ok.

If they're anything like me, they'll enjoy the feeling of having no stress of school or work. They'll realize they can sleep whenever and do pretty much whatever also. I also have to mention that I went on a cruise with almost everyone onboard above the age of 60. I could count on my hands the amount of people my age or early twenties. But that was also because it was right after all the Spring Breaks ended.

For the woman who's going at the end of May, I wouldn't worry about it. Every school district is different but there are a lot of schools that let out early/mid May. And even if there's not high school students, college students should be there also. All in all though I wouldn't worry about it much. I enjoyed myself so much I plan on going on another one for my 18th birthday in December.

Hoped that helped!

Amy
Old May 7th, 2003, 02:01 PM
Curt

We had a 12 year old that got very bored at first, I think he expected something very different. However, once he realized what a cruise was about and how its fun to just relax and not have 10 million things to do he really enjoyed himself. He keeps asking when he can go again. I think the key is to let them know what to expect. If they get there expectations up too high, they are sure to be bored. Think about it, what a more mature person calls relaxing they call boring. Teenagers are usually not into doing structured Carival activities, they want to be on there own, but on a ship there is limited activities to keep there interest. Since there are two of them close in age that might help them if they don't find people of there own age.
Old May 7th, 2003, 02:18 PM
shipbound

During all the years that I have been cruising I've allways heard the longer the cruise
the older the passengers are which is because they have the time and the $$$$, so I do not think going after breaks had anything ti do with the amount of people over sixty on a cruise. However I guess you make your vacation the way you want it to be,

Gary
Old May 8th, 2003, 10:19 PM
First Mate

I brought my two teens ages 13 and 15 and they didn't want to do the camp carnival thing but did meet up with other teens and just hung out. I did have one problem with my 15 year old. The last night of the cruise we couldn't find her. We search and even called security. Needless to say at 5am we came across a guy walking around and asked him if he had seen her and we explained what she looked like. He sent us to the lido deck saying he seen her there even though we had already looked. On the way back to our room, this same guy was dragging her back to our room. She was totally wasted and the guy admited he was 21. She said she was with a bunch of people and was in the disco (even though she was underage after hours the guards or bartenders did not check id or anything) she remembers someone bringing her a coke and that's it. So we got the feeling she was slipped something. The ships security said that we could have the New Orleans police come aboard and investagate but the only problem was, EVERYONE else would have to remain on the ship until the guy was caught and after discussing it me and my husband decided that it wasn't fair to the other 1000 or so people to have to suffer. But the moral of the story is, tell your teens not to accept drinks from anyone and don't leave a drink hanging around while they dance because stuff like this does happen. My daughter said the whole cruise the people she hung with was getting drinks from older guys and she was never once asked for id when the disco was close to minors after the camp carnival teen disco. Otherwise, my 13 year old son had a very good time. Most of the kids his age just hung out at the pool and the hot tub. All said camp carnival seem to appeal to the younger children under 13. Enjoy your cruise and be safe.
Old May 9th, 2003, 11:50 AM
shipbound

Shelia;
For that reason I think no body under 21 should be allowed in the Dico's, bar's period. It is up to the parents to watch their children not the cruise line. If an unage child is caught drinking the parents are to be held responsible just like they would be in the United States.If person supplies alcohol to a child under 21 they should be put off the ship at next port. If the cruise lines are going to make age requirements to get on the ship then the cruise line should inforce their own law .

Gary
Old May 13th, 2003, 12:19 AM
taylor2403

Teens should be allowed in the disco, just irresponsible idiot adults shouldnt leave their drinks around if youre scared a kid is gonna walk by and take your drink. And despite what parents may like if the kids are gonna drink theyre gonna drink. Its almost impossible for it not to happen on a cruise. I myself am 17 and just went on a cruise in december, teens were drinkin all over the place, and guess what it wasnt from drinks they got from the disco... it was from bartenders at other bars outsid ethe disco and even their own parents. I myself personally dont drink so i watched out for all my buds that i hung out with so its no biggie.. So by saying noone under 21 shouldnt be allowe4d int eh disco cuz they might dirnk wont matter its gonna happen and suprisingly not from the disco like you seem to think . I think the point you were trying to make was that you just dont like kids in the disco.. dont beat around the bush
Old May 13th, 2003, 11:34 AM
Shipbound

taylor 2403
I disagree with you that teens should be allowed in the disco's. In most states you have
to be 21 to enter a club . If a cruise line sets a age limit that restricts under age drinking
than that law should be inforced by the cruise line just like it would be inforced in the
United states by the local police. As far as bartenders providing alcohol to anybody under 21 then they should be held responsible and the cruise line should take action.
CCL says you have to be 21 to get on the ship unless a person 25 or over is with you,
why do think they made this rule?
Old May 13th, 2003, 01:15 PM
onefinechic

Actually, there are a lot of clubs in the US that are 18 and up. Even if there is alcohol in that particular club, they still get the minor stamp on their hand. And I have to agree with Taylor that you can get alcohol without being 21, myself included. Granted I don't look 17 nor act it, but my parents bought it for me and watched me drink it. There is nothing wrong with having a drink while at dinner or sitting at the pool. It all depends on who's drinking it. Like myself, I was fine, I didn't do it to get drunk or anything else. Just enjoyed the taste. There were PLENTY of people over 21 that were making complete fools of themselves.

But I don't want to turn this post into something it's not. Yes, I think that teenagers, regardless if they have friends that come with them or not, will enjoy themselves. I think that it's great to learn what a cruise is all about when you're younger because then you can do it more often (again, something I'm doing, traveling a lot). So to the original poster, I think that your daughter should be fine.

And about the school breaks, it actually does have an effect on how many teenagers/kids are onboard. My parents took me out of school for two weeks because the cruise was cheaper, but they didn't want to. There were tons more students onboard (according to the crew members that I talked with) a few weeks before when there was Spring Break. It depends on the timing of school breaks, money, and the length of the cruise. The longer it is, the less students.

Amy
Old May 28th, 2003, 10:21 PM
sparklygreeneys

no they most likely wont be bored i am 15 years old and last summer i went on a cruise to the mexican riviera. i also have a 17 year old brother and a 12 year old brother. we all had a great time and all of us met tons of new people are age. since your kids are outgoing they wont have any trouble meeting new kids. the best advice i can give is, for the first couple of nights go to the dance club and join in as many teen activities as you can this helps you meet new people very fast.
Old May 30th, 2003, 11:17 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to -Rob

I'm 15 and had a blast on my last 2 cruises ( Summer 2000 and 2001) . I didnt go to the Camp Carnival things but i went with a few other familes and spent time with them. We were in the discos every night and didnt steal people's drink. On my last cruise, only one night were there adults in the disco, there was always people our age. Were going on the pride next, and have heard they have discos (or other type dance/music places) that are according to age. Anyways, your kids will love it. I think its the best vacation in the world. By the way, i like the at sea days better than the ones in port!

Rob

Carnival Ecstasy June 2000
Carnival Jubilee July 2001
Carnival Pride June 14, 2003