Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 6th, 2003, 10:53 AM
Passenger

Default Suggestions on shore excursions western caribb.

Hi - we will be sailing 6/29/03 (Conquest)..... We are interested in the Dunn's River tour (climbing falls) and we like to snorkel..... but we will probably go on only one snorkeling tour (either Cayman or Cozumel)

Shopping (best port to shop)

We like to hang out on the beach alot, so we will definitely do that alot!!!

Any suggestions would be helpful as this is our 1st cruise.....

Thanks in advance.....
Sponsored Links
Old May 6th, 2003, 11:27 AM
thoth

Default Re: Suggestions on shore excursions western caribb.

In Jamaica you are doing one of the payed tours, which is good. Jamaica is very interesting to visit, but from what I saw, it is not advisable to walk about on your own. There are some gift shops at the Mo Bay ships terminal where I purchased some souvenirs. Try the Blue Moutain coffee! From what I have heard, Dunn's River falls is very nice.
In Mexico, the Myan ruins at Tulum is quit interesting if you are into history. it is hot, so take water if you go on that trip. I found some great shopping deals around the Mexican ports.
In Grand Cayman, the snorkel with the stingrays seems to be well loved. While there I did an island tour("sea & see") which includes a trip through "Hell", a glass bottomed boat which passes over at least 2 shipwrecks and some lovely corals,and the turtle farm.
Hell by the way is a town, not you know where.
Grand Cayman is also a very nice place to shop.
Old May 6th, 2003, 12:43 PM
Admiral

Grand Cay is expensive for shopping. At least in MX and Jamaica they have the local vendors were you can bargain for some deals. We also walked around in Ocho Rios and went to the flea market. They are persistent people but if you treat them like humans you will have no problems. There was alot of local art available and for good prices if you are into that stuff. Definately buy the Blue Mtn coffee in Jamaica but shop around for the best prices. In Grand Cay, try the rum cake. They have samples everywhere.
Old May 6th, 2003, 01:45 PM
Admiral

In Grand Cayman, the U.S. dollar is only worth 82 cents of their money. So shopping is very expensive. You can find some great stuff in Cozumel, though.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Carnival Imagination

Land Cruise, Britain and Belgium

Old May 14th, 2003, 03:46 PM
TwoGirlsMom

Just got back from the 5/4 sailing of Conquest (yes, the one where the guy fell off). As avid snorkel/scuba people, I can unequivocally tell you that Cozumel is FANTASTIC. Grand Cayman was a bit of a let down as far as the diving, but the Stingray City experience is awesome. Shopping is indeed expensive on G.C.. Cozumel is a great place to get jewelry & souvenirs.
In Montego Bay, we did the Chukka Blue Horseback Riding (heavenly!). If you haven't been to Jamaica, it's very poor so don't expect much, but I've heard Dunn's River Falls is fun.
On Grand Cayman, I don't personally suggest any tour unless you are going to Stingray City to snorkel. We just caught a cab ($3 per person except little kids) to Seven Mile Beach and entered in a public access. Camped out there for a few hours and had a ball. My mom, who had never been to G.C. took the See & Sea and said it was awful. Bad guide, no big deal on the sights (Hell is just one big post office with a long line).
On Cozumel, hubby went diving and I took our just-turned-5-year-old to the Dolphin Encounter. It was unbelievable! That also got us a whole day's pass for the Chankanab Natural Park which had some amazing snorkeling, clean beach area with a restaurant, a botanical garden and a tidal pool sort of area that my 5 year old ran around in with other little ones. Even without the Dolphin Encounter, Chankanab would be a place I'd return to over & over. Cheap, 5-minute taxi ride!
Enjoy and take plenty of sunblock!
Old May 15th, 2003, 04:48 PM
serene56

I see you are cruising on the conquest. You will be docking in Montego Bay which is about a 2 hour bus ride to the falls and 2 hour drive back to the ship.
Old May 16th, 2003, 10:22 AM
Cruise Maniac

When you purchase edibles or coffees, check the dates! In GC, we went into a very nice store with lots of outdated Rum Cakes. Jamaica (mo-bay) had the famous Jablum coffee, also outdated in some stores.

If you're a coffee drinker, don't waist your time on the smaller sample bags of coffee. It's sooooooooo good we're going to order more online! We're hooked now!

We found Cozumel to be the best shopping for jewlery. A Tanzanite ring for $350 was purchased for $215!
Old May 19th, 2003, 08:08 PM
Yeoman

Elizabeth,
The wife and I will be on that cruise also. She is finalizing her plans now. lol ! This will be for our 25'th wedding Anv. Hope to see you there! We're getting excited here !

David W.
Pearl,Mississippi

96 days and counting
Conquest Sailing
Old May 20th, 2003, 10:54 AM
Jerrica

We just got back from the Western Caribbean 2 days ago and one of the major highlights of our trip was the snorkeling and sting ray city in Grand Cayman! I usually hate natural waters so I was really nervous, but it was so great! I loved every minute! We waited till we got off the boat to buy the excursion because we had heard it was cheaper...and it was...we saved $30 and got a much more intimate experience...we had 20 people on our boat as opposed to 300...and the guide was great! He told us all kinds of history about Grand Cayman on the ride to and from! Don't miss this opportunity! The sting rays are beautiful...and the coolest was to see a mama and her baby!
Have fun!
Old May 20th, 2003, 11:50 AM
bob h

Nativewaysports.com is a place that you can reserved a space on a boat that has at most 12 people on it. This is for the stingray tour. I will be on it May 28th, so I will let you know how it is.

Bob
Old May 27th, 2003, 10:42 AM
Zina

I just returned from exotic Western Carib on the Paradise and went with Nativeway in G. C. to Stingray City and Coral Gardens. We were very impressed with them. You can't beat their price - $25.00 pp!!!
Old May 27th, 2003, 11:15 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Suggestions on shore excursions western caribb.

Zina,

what all did that include and how long was the excursion?

Thanks!
Old May 27th, 2003, 11:36 AM
Passenger

We did Captain Marvin's last month for Grand Cayman and it was $108 for my family of 4. We had 20 people on the boat and it made a short snorkel stop first before hitting the stingrays. It was awesome.

Doug

Victory 4/13/03
Old May 27th, 2003, 12:08 PM
Peanuts

We're done W. Caribbean 3 times and each time we snorkled in Grand Caymen, Shopped in Cozumel and golfed in Jamaica.

Cozumel is great for shopping. I buy loose stones and have them set when I get back home. If you know what you're looking for and has a jeweler at home to set them it's the best way to go.