Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 6th, 2003, 10:40 AM
Scotto

Default What happened to cruise director John Heald?

I've been told by several people that John Heald is the greatest cruise director in the business. He sailed on Triumph and then the Victory. I spoke to my travel agent about his whereabouts for a future cruise. Carnival reps could not tell her what ship he is with since they didn't even know who he was! Did he leave Carnival, leave the industry or what? I'm calling Bob Dickinson next if no one knows.
Sponsored Links
Old May 6th, 2003, 10:42 AM
Scotto

Default Re: What happened to cruise director John Heald?

I've been told by several people that John Heald is the greatest cruise director in the business. He sailed on Triumph and then the Victory. I spoke to my travel agent about his whereabouts for a future cruise. Carnival reps could not tell her what ship he is with since they didn't even know who he was! Did he leave Carnival, leave the industry or what? I'm calling Bob Dickinson next if no one knows. ;-)
Old May 6th, 2003, 10:56 AM
Admiral

This ought to give you the info you need.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Carnival Imagination

Land Cruise, Britain and Belgium

Old May 6th, 2003, 11:03 AM
Scotto

Default Re: Re: What happened to cruise director John Heald?

Thank you for that link!

Sorry to read that John is gone. Too bad Carnival doesn't even know what they are missing. Any word on who is another outstanding Carnival cruise director?
Old May 7th, 2003, 07:58 AM
Suzann Schneider

John is not gone, he's on vacation and then takes over the Glory in July until end of October, begining of November.
Old May 7th, 2003, 11:37 AM
kenya

Where will John be in March of 2004?
Old May 7th, 2003, 12:39 PM
Admiral

By then he should be retired. Not sure what he'll be doing, maybe Robo will have some insights when he gets back (he is cruising on the Triumph with John as cruise director right now.)

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Carnival Imagination

Land Cruise, Britain and Belgium

Old May 7th, 2003, 03:05 PM
NIECY

EVERYONE IS RAVING ABOUT JOHN HEALD AND I AM DISAPPOINTED THAT I WILL NOT GET THE CHANCE TO SAIL WITH HIM AS CD AS I WILL NOT CRUISE UNTIL MARCH 2004. ARE THERE ANY OTHER GOOD CDS OUT THERE , WHO WILL BE ALMOST AS GREAT ? WHAT ARE THEIR NAMES?
Old May 8th, 2003, 05:35 PM
Scotto

I spoke with our local Carnival sales rep here and she didn't know he was even coming back for the Glory. I can't imagine how the sales force doesn't know about their own cruise directors. Who else does Carnival have lined up as a good one?
Old May 11th, 2003, 05:36 PM
Admiral

What Suzanne said is the truth. John is currently home in England and also visiting the Netherlands. He will return and "take out" the new CCL Glory from Port Canaveral from July to around the first of November. This will be John's last contract with CCL and he will retire to the Netherlands with his wife Heidi and raise a family. John will keep his hands on CCL in an advisory role, at least that is what CCL is wanting him to do and I expect John will do so. We just returned from the Triumph and John left two weeks early and we missed him but we may just have to sail again with him on the Glory. I did find out that John will be assembling his "Dream Team" again on the Glory bringing of course Heidi as a group coordinator and his favorite two social hosts Carlos "Q-Tip", and Ralph "Wee Jimmy" with him.
There are also a number of other CD's that are also very good and have their own following and rightfully so as they are that good. Cory Schmidt is one and a fairly new CD and wife team named Michael and Jeni Mullane. They are also exceptional people who I had the pleasure of getting to know and chat with this last week.
Jim

Old May 11th, 2003, 06:57 PM
Scotto

Thanks for that information -- more than I ever got from my local Carnival contacts. I'm sorry I've missed my opportunity to sail with John. Hopefully, our CD on the Victory will be entertaining. My first Carnival CD was odd and acted like he was on drugs and my second was a boring, "manish" acting woman. Our family is crusing this Thanksgiving on the Victory -- does anyone know who is the CD or will be for the holiday?
Old May 18th, 2003, 04:40 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: What happened to cruise director John Heald?

I'm looking forward to cruising with John again in September on the Glory before he retires from the ships. He is one of the best CD's out there IMHO. I do not remember Wee Jimmy or Q-Tip though. I guess I will see them in September.
Old May 18th, 2003, 11:22 PM
Carol Pullen

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: What happened to cruise director John Heald?

How long are the contracts? If you cruise in May, will you have a new CD on the same ship, if you cruise in October? Does feed back from the passengers have any bearing on how long they are on the ship? Wish the information given on the different ships included who the current CD was and a brief bio.

How often do the ships draw big name stars to entertain? Is this a hit and miss thing?
I have read some posts where the is a recognized name that appeared while they were on their cruise.
Old May 19th, 2003, 11:42 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: What happened to cruise director John Heald?

Gordon, I have posted photos of both Wee Jimmy and Q-Tip in the photo gallery recently as well as some others.
Carol, CD's generally have 4-6 month contracts and Social Hosts are generally 6 months. These times often vary somewhat depending on the needs of the cruiselines.
Jim

Old May 19th, 2003, 12:04 PM
susancruzs

I'm cruising on the Glory in September and glad that he will be onboard. I've only read positive posts/review about him so anxious to see him in person!

Say, Jim, how about you and Sylvia going on Sept. 13th with Jennifer and I? Hmmm?

Susie
Old May 19th, 2003, 01:19 PM
Admiral

Never know Susie, never know. <VBG> Really, we are very much considering this ship as it is so close to home, a new class for us, and many old friends, (crew), onboard.
Jim

Old May 19th, 2003, 06:50 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to mcFROG2

Come on Jim and Sylvia and family.....We need to be planning a Glory Bash !!!
a "Test your Sanity II" cruise.......lol We can throw John a Bachelor Party onboard or off...Hmmmmmm the possibilities.
Mark

Old June 1st, 2003, 12:46 AM
cruiseman777

Default Re: Re: Re: What happened to cruise director John Heald?

we will be doing the pre ing on the glory on july 14 and planning on returning mid october most likely week of oct 11.....mark I agree a group would be nice to say thank you and never good bye to the best cruise director in the world, he will be always be number one with me and my wife .....simply the best..........cruisemates fans, carnival fans and cruises fans will miss him big time......a person that you can not replace.........john will be headed over to italy in a few weeks to pick up and bring the glory over to the USA. he is enjoying his vacation at the present time..and q tip and wee jimmy will also be aboard they will be meeting john and heidi in london and going over to glory as a team ......a great team...

jim i agree with you about corey and michael and jeni mullane
....we cruised with michael and jeni the first week they took over triumph in april