Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 7th, 2003, 07:48 PM
doug dautel

Default refunds?

Ok so I purchased a cruise within 9 days of sailing without insurance cause it was only 9 days. anyways I was leaving base (navy boy) and made it one mile away when a car t-boned my brand new 2003 car and totalled it. I spent 2 days in the hospital and of course did not make it. Now I am writing carnival and pleading for a credit. anyone ever done this before?!? Thanks
Badly bruised
Doug
Sponsored Links
Old May 7th, 2003, 10:51 PM
First Mate

Default Re: refunds?

No, but, I don't think you have any chance, except pity from Carnival. Who knows, they may throw a mercy discount to you. But I think you've demonstrated the importance of cruise insurance to the rest of the readers. Hopefully if it was that soon out it was steeply discounted and you're not out too much money.

I'm very, very sorry for your misfortune and I hope you can plan one again soon.

Denise
Old May 8th, 2003, 09:58 AM
L Galloway

I agree you probably won't get anything out of Carnival, but i'd sure have my lawyer to add this to your list of demands from the other drivers insurance company. I know you are entitled to time missed from work, rental car and all that, so if your only reason for not being able to go on a trip you paid for and can not get refunded for was due to this accident and you have documentation to back you up, then i'd certainly ask the lawyer if you may be able to go that route. Never hurts to ask. And, for that reason, it won't hurt to ask Carnival either, especially if you can send documentation. Maybe, you won't get a refund, but if they see you are telling the truth and it was unavoidable then they may let you take another cruise date. I never buy the insurance either, but that's the risk you take.

good luck
L. Galloway
Old May 8th, 2003, 12:34 PM
kenya

I agree with the above mentioned. I went through something similar. My friends a nd I booked a trip through Apple to Puerto Vallarta for Sept . 29, 2001. However, Sept 11th occurred and needless to say we did not want to go. We hadn't bought the insurance so we could not get a refund for the trip but instead they extended the time we had to take another trip (due to our TA calling on our behalf-Did you book thorugh one?), which legally they didn't have to do. We ended up going after Thanksgiving, needless to say that we prayed constantly before, during, and after the trip.
My point in saying all that is this, KEEP TALKING until someone listens and gives you a different date as I am sure that their boats are not filled to capacity, hence all the great deals people are talking about on this board! Good Luck! ;o)
Old May 11th, 2003, 05:40 PM
Admiral

Doug,
So very sorry to hear of your misfortune. Carnival is not obligated to do anything but they may do something to lessen the pain if you happen to hit a sympathic ear just in the name of good PR. I agree that this does show why Insurance is a pretty good idea and also i would darn sure try and get it out of the other driver as it was his fault you had this loss.
Jim