Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 8th, 2003, 11:49 AM
Passenger

Default Xcaret tour offered from Conquest (in Cozumel)?

Hi - I had called Carnival to inquire about prices on shore excur for our Conquest cruise --she told me of one at Xcaret..... Has anyone ever taken this one and how far is it? She said it was an all-day tour..... This sounds really nice...

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old May 8th, 2003, 12:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Xcaret tour offered from Conquest (in Cozumel)?

I've never taken the tour from a cruise ship, but I did take the XCaret tour when I was vacationing in Cancun - I loved it. It's very beautiful, tons of stuff to do, etc. Tubing the underwater river was really cool and they have different shows throughout the day, as well as swimming w/ dolphins, baby turtle releasing, tons and tons of stuff.

However, I would recommend that, if they allow an earlier return, I would skip the final show. It really got to be a long day - we were there from 9:00am until 11:30 pm. By the end of the day, we were delirious from being so tired!

Oh, I think it's about 45 minutes from Cancun (by Playa del Carmon) - not sure where your cruise ports.

Have fun!! Hope this helped!
Old May 9th, 2003, 07:04 AM
Passenger

I was just on Victory and that was offered as an excursion. I didn't do it but yes it was advertised as an 8 hour excursion (I think) and it was something like $85 a person. I only remember because we looked at it since someone on message boards had suggested going there.

Doug

Victory 4/13/03
Old May 12th, 2003, 08:14 PM
Colinc

I have never been to Xcaret. Though after a week in Cozumel I did make it to Xel-Ha and Tulum and that was the best day of the entire week. I would recomend this because you can do everything at Xel-Ha that you can in Xcaret. Tulum is the only known Mayan ruin on the ocean so it is a great experience. Xel-Ha has a dolphin encounter and you can snorkel from a mangrove into the ocean and see a ton of ocean life like huge parrot fish and small baracuddas. All five of us had a blast on this tour.

Colinc
Old May 13th, 2003, 12:42 AM
furluvcats

We took the same tour in Sept. 02....We highly reccomend it...be prepared for a very long hour stop at a jewlrey store along the way...wish they'd skip that stop. Have fun!
Old May 19th, 2003, 12:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi,

I spent from about 2 p.m. to the end of the last show (maybe around 10 p.m.) at Xcaret when we were in Cancun two years ago. We rented a car in Cancun and then drove to Xcaret. Renting a car became an ordeal in Cancun, but that would not be your situation.

The Xcaret Excursion will probably be expensive from the Conquest. We will be on the Conquest next month and as I recall the Ship leaves Cozumel around 5 or 6 p.m. Do find out how long it will take to go to Xcaret from the Port. Sometimes, the excursion groups will be the first to get off the boat. There is alot of walking around at Xcaret and unless you can spend about 4-6 hours there, maybe don't consider going for the amount of money you wlll be spending.

We enjoyed the night SHOWS at Excaret, but somehow, I don't remember daytime shows. Since we were not at an all-inclusive Cancun hotel, the shows were a nice feature at Xcaret.

Check out Xcaret on the NET. I just looked at the website the other day since a friend is going to Cancun and was asking some questions about Xcaret. I don't have the web address handy. You will notice that general admission (without transportation) is about $50 per person and group tours from Cancun are about $90 per person. I suggest you book from Carnival, just in case the excursion gets delayed for some reason. You wil not want to pay your own transportation back to Gulfport or New Orleans.

You will have to brind your own towel (from the Ship of course) if you want to shower at Xcaret. I suggest you try not to shower when right before most of the buses leave. I must have started to take a shower when all the crowds were there for the early bus departures (some buses must depart around 4- 5 p.m.) and the shower room was crowded. When I was about to leave, the area was almost empty.

I hope the ship returns to New Orleans by the time of our sailing. The Ship is scheduled to return to New Orleans by June 8.

Enjoy
Old May 19th, 2003, 12:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi again,

I have not been to Xel-Ha and Tulum for about 13 years. However, from what I remember, the experiences between Xcaret and Xel-Hal/Tulum are totally different. Tulum is a Mayan ruin right on the Caribbean Sea where we spent only about one hour in the 95 degree weather. At Xel-Ha, we went snorkling and must have looked around the area. IF you do both Xel-Ha and Tulum on the same day, you will not have too much time at either one.

From Cancun, it must have taken about 3 hours to drive to Xcaret. Find out how long the trip takes from the Cozumel Port and how long you spend at your destination. IF the excursion stops off for shopping (as one writer indicated), you should consider this.

Hope you get more info from other Conquest cruisers who went on the excursion.
Old May 19th, 2003, 07:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

HI,

Well, after thinking about my Tulum/Xel-Hal, one may be able to spend enough time at both places on one excursion. Everything depends on the amount of time it takes to get there from the Ship. I juust remember being rushed after snorkeling to get back on the bus for Cancun.

As I said, you will want to spend as long as you can at Xcaret. I would not recommend trying your own transportation. as you may not make it back to the Ship.

Have fun.