Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 11th, 2003, 05:58 PM
coroner4u

Default MAN FELL FROM CONQUEST

there was an article in today's paper that a man fell off of the conquest while coming back in to gulfport. i am skeptical about it since it would be very hard to "fall" off since the railings are pretty high. anyone heard anything alse?
you can also go to ksla.com for the story.
Sponsored Links
Old May 11th, 2003, 06:57 PM
Scotto

Default Re: MAN FELL FROM CONQUEST

I heard about that two, but not a lot of media coverage on it.
Old May 11th, 2003, 07:05 PM
coair

Default Re: Re: MAN FELL FROM CONQUEST

A couple on their honeymoon Last night (5/10), the woman came out screaming that her husband jumped overboard during a fight! He didn't make it!
Old May 11th, 2003, 10:53 PM
furluvcats

Thats terrible....does anyone have a link to this story?
Old May 12th, 2003, 11:42 AM
furluvcats

Coast Guard in recovery mode for man who fell from cruise ship
05/12/2003

WWLTV.com

The Coast Guard has moved from rescue to recovery mode for an Alabama man who fell from a cruise ship into the Gulf of Mexico.

As they search, Mississippi authorities are trying to piece together how 35-year-old Matthew Scott Bjorn ended up overboard after a fight with his wife.

Investigators now say it is unclear whether Bjorn jumped intentionally or fell accidentally.

WWL-TV
Bjorn fell early Saturday morning
"By interviewing witnesses and so forth, we found that the man and his wife were having a minor domestic argument. He was extremely intoxicated,” said Lt. Robbie Cox of the Harrison County Sheriff's Office.

Cox said the couple “had some words,” and that one of the neighbors “overheard a lot of stuff.”

“The neighbor heard him when he went out on the balcony and fell over the furniture, and she saw him climb over the rail and hold on,” said Cox. “She hollered for her husband and about that time, the guy jumped."

According to officials, Bjorn fell in sometime between midnight and 1 a.m. on Saturday.

The incident happened in the stretch of the Gulfport Ship Canal between Cat Island and Ship Island.

Written with AP contributions.
Old May 12th, 2003, 01:19 PM
MichelleM

I remember at one of the question and answer sessions on the ship someone asked about people falling overboard. The cruise director said that it is generally men who jump after domestic disputes with plenty of alcohol.

That's too bad, especially if they were on their honeymoon.
Old May 12th, 2003, 01:43 PM
Twister

Just got off Conquest on Sunday we heard lots of rumors about what happened they line up pretty much with the facts
Old May 13th, 2003, 12:14 AM
First Mate

I read it in our local paper here in Wisconsin also. They didnt say it was alcohol related. But that was my first thought too. This is getting to be a lot of people falling/jumping overboard lately. I think maybe they dont need to bring any excess alcohol on board with them anymore.. They can buy it on board from the bars and that may curb there drinking if they have to pay more for it. Too bad that some people feel they cant enjoy life without having a lot of alcohol in them.
Old May 13th, 2003, 04:01 PM
Admiral

http://www.sunherald.com/

Body found on Cat Island believed to man who fell off cruise ship
By TRACY DASH
THE SUN HERALD

GULFPORT - The body of a man who fell from a cruise ship early Sunday was found Tuesday morning near Cat Island.

The ship was headed to Gulfport on Sunday when Matthew Scott Bjorn, 35, of Northport, Ala., fell overboard about 10 miles from port.

Bjorn and his wife of seven days, Renee Bjorn, 37, were on their honeymoon.

Authorities said they believe the body is Bjorn because the clothing on the body matches the description of the clothes Bjorn was wearing.

According to investigators, Bjorn fell from a 10th-floor balcony on the Carnival Conquest between midnight and 1 a.m. Sunday into a shipping channel in the Gulf of Mexico about six miles south of the shoreline. He and his wife were attending a party.

Renee Bjorn said her husband had climbed over the railing to show her how he was doing chin-ups earlier that evening. He lost his footing and fell overboard when he was trying to climb back over the railing.
Old May 14th, 2003, 07:14 AM
Admiral

Very sad indeed! Thanks for the link Michelle.
Old May 14th, 2003, 11:20 AM
TwoGirlsMom

Default Re: Re: MAN FELL FROM CONQUEST

My family and I were on board and I dashed topside within 3 minutes of the alarm call sounding. I am skeptical about the wife's story/published reports because from the MINUTE I arrived topside, the story was always that they were having a drunken brawl and he climbed up on the railing. Fall or jump wasn't clear, but we were doing 20 knots through the shipping channel and it would've been a miracle if he wasn't sucked under the ship.

As for the safety/railing issue I can tell you this: I have a crawling 9 month old and a 5 year old and I wouldn't hesitate (and didn't) to let them move about on the decks freely. You have to be really trying to get over those rails, which are close together, four feet high and sloped inward toward the deck!

It was truly sad and somewhat sickening. If this was a drunken accident, that makes it even worse!
Old February 27th, 2013, 11:58 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I am the mother of the young man who fell off this cruise ship. My husband and I have tried many different ways to get more information about what happened, all to no avail. Can you help us?
Iris Shaw Bjorn
Old February 28th, 2013, 03:16 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

This is so sad and senseless. I send my sympathies and prayers to the family.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old February 28th, 2013, 06:07 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iris Bjorn View Post
I am the mother of the young man who fell off this cruise ship. My husband and I have tried many different ways to get more information about what happened, all to no avail. Can you help us?
Iris Shaw Bjorn
Not quite sure what help you are asking for.

The event occurred 10 years ago. Others have posted what they knew at that time in 2003.