Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 15th, 2003, 09:26 AM
Passenger

Default Carnival Victory do's and don'ts?

I am sailing on the Carnival Victory out of Miami on May 25th. Although I have been on two cruises before, I have never been on the Victory. I have read a lot of conflicting information about the boat. Anyone have any up to date tips that will make our trip a little more enjoyable?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2003, 10:31 AM
Leigh

Default Re: Carnival Victory do's and don'ts?

We just got back from Carnival Victory on May 11th. Don't know if you are going to the Eastern or Western Carribean, but we went to the Eastern. My husband and I had a blast. The only tip that I have for you is to expect that since there are over 2500 people on the ship that you will have to wait in lines sometimes, but since you really don't have to be anywhere, it really isn't that bothersome. I had heard a lot of things both good and bad about the Victory. On our cruise, they had propulsion problems. We didn't get to San Juan until about 9:15pm on Tuesday and then we stayed there until 6pm the next night. We were unable to go to St. Maarten due to this issue. (I know that there were people that had booked this particular cruise just for that port and I felt sorry for the people working the information desk on the ship because they were literally being screamed at when they made that announcement.) Personally, my husband and I are not into shopping and buying jewelry and alcohol, etc. We were disappointed that we didn't get to go there, as we had an excursion booked that looked and sounded like a lot of fun, however they did take us to the Bahamas on Saturday to make up for it where we went to what they call the "Blue Lagoon" instead and went swimming and just relaxed for a couple of hours before we left port. My husband and I are not smokers, so the only complaint that I have is that we couldn't get away from the smokers unless we were upwind of them. The food was fabulous, the service was great (I mean, it isn't everyday that someone makes my bed for me and turns it down at night and puts a mint on my pillow). They have a 24 hour pizzeria and you can get burgers between 12 and 6 on the same deck (aft on the Lido Deck). It was one of the better vacations that I have taken. The shows (the ones we went to) were great. I think that a lot of the people that I saw complaints from were people that had ridiculously high expectations. I can't imagine trying to supply food for 7 days for that many people and then cleaning cabins for that many people. Again, my husband and I had a great time. Just go on your cruise, relax and have a great time. Make the most of it. There is so much to do on the ship and in the ports that you will never be bored. If you prefer to sit in a deck chair during the day.......get there early or just move someone's towel that isn't in their chair. I saw towels on chairs (ones close to me) and never saw the people all day long, yet they had saved their chairs. I never had trouble finding a seat though on deck. I know that our cruise was almost filled to capacity. If you aren't interested in sitting around the pool all the time, go up on Deck 10 (where the running track is) and get a chair in the middle of the track. You can see out to sea, and there is a really great breeze up there that will keep you cool! Have a great time!!!
Old May 15th, 2003, 12:52 PM
Passenger

Kimberly, I posted somewhere here a recap of our Victory cruise last month. If you search the boards, you should be able to find it. If I count right, you should be doing Western just like we did. We had a great time but others since then have said there were mechanical problems.

Doug

Victory 4/13/03
Old May 15th, 2003, 03:44 PM
serene56

Watch those sea horses on each landing of the stairs. They kept biting me and I had huge black and blue marks on each hip.
Old May 15th, 2003, 05:15 PM
Kareen

Kimberly, you must try the Yantgzee Wok. It is only open from 12:00-2:30PM The spring rolls were delicious.
Old May 15th, 2003, 05:16 PM
Kareen

Kimberly, you must try the Yantgzee Wok. It is only open from 12:00-2:30PM The spring rolls were delicious. Also, the hamburgers are better at the BBQ Grill.
Old May 17th, 2003, 02:48 AM
Beginner

Excellent trip. We also arrived back in Miami on May 11. As was stated earlier the ship had a technical difficulty but the staff were great about keeping us informed. Plus, the Bahamas were an added bonus. We had an excellent cabin on the Spa deck and our room steward was exceptional. The ships personnel were great and we can't wait to go again. Relax and enjoy yourself. We'll definetly take this trip again!!

Old May 19th, 2003, 07:45 AM
First Mate

WE WENT THE VICTORY IN 2001. AWESOME SHIP. BY FAR ONE OF THE BEST TRIPS EVER!! ENJOY!!!!!
Old May 19th, 2003, 07:00 PM
HALBERT6738

yea, seriously, watch out for the seahorses... they will really bruse your legs.. and watch the elevators... they get stuck alot... ALOT!
Old May 19th, 2003, 07:00 PM
Kareen

Tesmar2000, I had a cabin on the Spa deck in 12/02. I loved the cabin better than my parents' balconey cabin. Also, my cabin steward was Geleena. She was fabulous.
Old May 20th, 2003, 09:48 AM
Jerrica

My fiancee and I just got back on the 18th from a 7 day to the western caribbean! They practically had to drag us off the ship! We loved it so much! There was so much to do and see...you can't possibly get bored! I gained about 7 pounds on board because there was so much to eat. Everything was clean and beautiful and everyone was so nice and friendly! Some highlights: The Red and Black Seas Lounge--great atmosphere and dance music...Dinner--everynight they would put on loud music right before dessert and the maitre'd would lead the waiters and guests in some kind of dancing! And if you're going to the western caribbean, you must swim with the sting rays in Grand Cayman! I hate natural waters so I was really nervous about the sting rays but it was the coolest experience ever! And if you wait till you get off the ship to buy the excursion, it's $15 cheaper per person and it's a much more intimate experience! We had 20 people on our boat as opposed to 300! The social host team was the best! Mark Price, the cruise director is a riot! And all the room stewards leave towel animals on your bed every night!
Have fun!
Old May 22nd, 2003, 10:37 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Carnival Victory do's and don'ts?

: Kareen -
Glad to hear you liked the rooms on the Spa deck also. We had Adam as our cabin
steward - excellent. Do you think they all take a class on those cute towel animals
that always pop up in the evening? I couldn't figure out if poor Adam was having to be
creative every night or if the cruise line has somebody buried in the bottom of the ship
folding towel animals all day long.