Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 15th, 2003, 06:17 PM
Jo Ann

Default birth cert or passport

We are going on the Conquest in Nov and was wondering if both are still ok....and which is best or easier to use birth certi or passport?
Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2003, 07:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: birth cert or passport

Jo ann,
By all means the passport is the best and you still have plenty of time to apply and receive one, here is a link to all the information you'll need to get it started:

http://travel.state.gov/passport_easy.html

You will be suprised at how many times during the cruise you'll need to prove your identity, starting when first arriving at the airport, we find it much simplier and easy to carry passports.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 17th, 2003, 10:48 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to marbru

I agree completely with Donna. I always recommend that our clients use a passport when possible.
Old May 17th, 2003, 06:28 PM
Admiral

Passport, passport, passport!

Regards,
Thomas
Old May 17th, 2003, 07:39 PM
island lady

With some of the new security regs, some lines don't even accept your birth certificate anymore, or so I have heard. Definately Passport!! Don't leave home without it!
Old May 17th, 2003, 09:41 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: birth cert or passport

Not true. Passports are much better but for cruises to Alaska, Mexico, and the Caribbean US citizens still only need an original state issued Birth Certificate and photo ID.
Jim

Old May 18th, 2003, 09:38 AM
wonderer

At what age can a child get away with just a certified copy of a birth certificate? Our daughter is 13 and we ahve always used her Birth Cert.
Old May 18th, 2003, 05:59 PM
Admiral

Sorry but I don't think a copy is acceptable since 9/11 terrorist attack. You better call the cruise line and make DARN sure first.

Regards,
Thomas
Old May 19th, 2003, 11:44 AM
Admiral

Usually it is 12 and under but by all means, check with the cruiseline first! Do not depend on your TA or even the boards for this vital information. We are right 99.9% of the time but that .01% could just be yo0u and ruin a vacation. <G>
Jim

Old May 19th, 2003, 11:42 PM
Passenger

Got my passports today. Took exactly 2 weeks. I am impresed with the US government. Well just this once...

OUT
Old May 22nd, 2003, 04:29 PM
spammy

I travelled Imagination last May and used my birth certificate..it was a certified copy and had the raised seal and was fine..
Old May 22nd, 2003, 09:34 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

As long as the certified birth certificate has the raised seal it will be fine. I know there is one state that issues their certified birth certificate (I believe it is one of the Carolinas) like a drivers license and has no raised seal, but that is accepted by the cruise line.

But, I will echo all the above - PASSPORT!!!!

Old May 24th, 2003, 12:55 PM
George & Jeanie

We just sailed from Long Beach and on debarcation they had a special line for people with passports only. We didn't have one, so we like most of the people had to wait in long lines going through customs.
We will definately get them before our next cruise!

George & Jeanie
Old May 26th, 2003, 07:54 AM
Cruise Maniac

Some states have watermarks on their Birth certificates such as here in Va. , not all are raised seals and do not have to be. Get a copy of your Birth Certificate and leave the original in the baby scrap book, etc. Especially if it is circa 1960's.
Old May 26th, 2003, 05:27 PM
Passenger

PASSPORTS ~~!!~~ The birth certificate is still OK in the Caribbean, but a passport expedites the process soooo much !!

Old July 1st, 2003, 09:51 PM
Yeoman

A note to anyone cruising from either Long Beach or San Pedro - Immigration has set up separate lines for US citizens with passports at both locations. So, if you are traveling into these ports and want to clear Immigration in just a few minutes, a passport is the way to go.
Old July 5th, 2003, 04:18 AM
cruznbuckeye

I use a passport because my name on my birth certificate is different than my name now. (married and divorced) If this is your situation, you need a passport or a copy of marriage certificate.
We have cruised with Carnival many times. They will accept a certified cop y( raised seal) along with a state issued photo id such as driver' s license.

As far as kids go, we took our 10 and 11 year old granddaughters with us in May. All they needed was a birth certificate with a raised seal. With Carnival, guests age 16 and over need a photo id.
Old July 5th, 2003, 09:41 AM
doob

But can anyone help me with this question? What if my name on my birth certificate does not match my driver's license because I have been married? Do I need a marriage certificate? We sailed with Carnival last year, and I did not need a marriage certificate, but I don't know if things have changed. I can only find a marriage certificate with a number, but it doesn't have a raised seal--is that the real thing???
Old July 5th, 2003, 09:47 AM
Admiral

It should be fine. It is doubtful they will ask for a copy of your marrage certificate/license but you do need it just in case. They are aware of the custom of Westerners taking their husbands last name when they get married. Better safe than sorry BUT THE BEST ADVICE IS GET A PASSPORT!! Look around and there are many threads where people are panicing because of lost or shakey ID. With a passport, you have no worries at all.
JIM

Old July 6th, 2003, 10:37 AM
Admiral

The only place I'm aware of that requires a passport in on a small island in Hawaii. My husband and I have been on numerous cruises with only birth certificates and have had NO problems whatsoever! And we were not held up in any way, or saw anyone who had priority because they had a passport....

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old July 6th, 2003, 11:41 AM
Admiral

Jean,
That small island is not a Hawaiian Isle rather it is the independant country of Fanning. At the present time you may cruise to any Alaska, Canadian, Berumda, Bahamas or Caribbean itinary without a passport, just an original issued BC and Government issued photo ID. This is subject to change and many of us expect to see this change in the not to distant furture. Belize already requireds a passport to enter that country EXCEPT for cruiseship passengers. As for getting preferantial treatment and passing through immigration with a passport, we have received this preffered treatment on a number of occasions. You didn't notice because you were standing in line with your birth certificate while we walked by. <VBG> The fact remains that no for many cruises you do not need a passport at the present time. It is also factual that they are the preffered means of identification and one that is well worth the price. In addition you can jump on those really great deals that go to countries that do require a passport.
Jim

Old July 6th, 2003, 04:37 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to 1stxcruiser

How long does it take to apply for a passport and how much are they?

Carnival Conquest
Old July 6th, 2003, 04:48 PM
Beginner

Question regarding passports.....

Can a person with a felony on their record receive a passport?

Are there any special requirements to receive a passport and where can you go to get one?

How much do they cost?
Old July 6th, 2003, 06:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Skydevil,
Not sure about getting a passport with a felony, thats something you'll have to check on, but everything else you need to know about obtaining a passport is at this link:

http://travel.state.gov/passport_easy.html

I got mine in less than 2 weeks, guess it just depends on how busy they are, but shouldn't take long and they last for 10 years. You'll need to bring in 2 passport pics and your birth cirtificate which they will send in, but you'll get it back with your completed passports, really the only way to travel.

Message Boards Moderator