Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 16th, 2003, 11:31 AM
First Mate

Default AUTO TIPPING

COULD SOMEONE FILL ME IN ON HOW THE AUTO TIPPING WORKS AND IF YOU HAVE TO TIP THIS WAY? WHAT HAPPENED TO TIPPING ON YOUR OWN? THIS WILL BE MY FIRST CRUISE WHEN THIS MAY HAPPEN.
Sponsored Links
Old May 16th, 2003, 11:51 AM
Admiral

Default Re: AUTO TIPPING

There are any number of threads and articles written about this but here is a quick summary. The cruise line will add the tips for waiter, assistant waiter, other dining staff and room steward to your sign and sail account automatically. Many people find this very conenient as it avoids that whole crunch to find cash and "when do I give the envelope" stuff. If you want to tip individually , simply go down to the pursers desk early in the cruise (no hurry) and ask to have the auto tip removed from your bill. Then tip away , in cash , to anyone you wish.
Happy Cruising
Old May 16th, 2003, 04:42 PM
Familiar Face

I just got back from a 5 day Carribean cruise on the Holiday. Regarding the tipping, they automatically charged $9.75 per person per day which came to $97.50. I thought the service was acceptable, but not great. On the last day of the cruise, we went to the Disembarkation talk with the cruise director, where she encourage additional tipping! What I didn't like was that you are given an envelope to tip your maitre'd from the dining room, thing is that I NEVER even met my maitre'd! I did tip my room steward, I think he worked hard and deserved an extra tip.
Old May 16th, 2003, 06:00 PM
bob sweeney

Do you have auto tip added for the kids in your room? I'm traveling with a 9 and a 5 year old.
Old May 16th, 2003, 06:31 PM
mikeyf62

I have certainly found it to be a great convenience. Not having to sort cash on the last night was a great thing. It also removes any concerns of over or under tipping. I have had no complaints about it.
Old May 16th, 2003, 06:52 PM
First Mate

How much you tip is purely a personal matter and completely up to you. However, we do have many guests who ask for some guidelines in regard to what is appropriate. We suggest the following gratuities for general information only.

Room Steward: $3.50 per guest per day; Dining Room Team Service: $5.50 per guest per day; Alternative Dining Service: $.75 per guest per day.

Personnel, such as Bar Waiters, Bellboys, and Deck Stewards may be tipped as service is rendered. 15% of the bill is automatically added to beverage purchases which the guest may adjust appropriate to the service received. Tipping still applies regardless of the dining options selected, such as eating at the casual dining restaurant or utilizing room service. Note: **Guests under two years of age are not required to extend gratuities.**

The above is from Carnival's web site.
Old May 17th, 2003, 08:06 AM
Passenger

I prepaid our gratuities and included the amount with our cruise payment. How do they handle this? Will I still get envelopes with vouchers like before, or do they consider this "auto tipping" as well?
Old May 17th, 2003, 09:52 AM
First Mate

Since they started the reverse tipping (auto tipping) they no longer issue envelopes with vouchers for the pre-paid tips. On some ships they still leave an envelope in your room for the Maitre d'.
Old May 19th, 2003, 11:37 AM
bob h

So let me get this straight.... they put the tips on your card - then express how delighted the people will be if you tip them again?

Has anyone asked the people who get the tips if they really get them, or is carnival taking some as a "handling fee" and then the room steward recieves some of it?

I am not sure that my children recieve the same "service" as the adults....

Having been on several cruises I have seen excellent service and service that did not rate a tip - in fact it rated a very nasty letter to the cruise line.

I guess it is up to each person, but I think I would rather give them the money and know it went to them.

PS - before you start I generally tip above the "suggested" amount... usually give them some at the start also.
Old May 19th, 2003, 06:18 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: AUTO TIPPING

I DONT MUND THE AUTO TIPPING BUT I WILL NOT TIP IN ADDITION TO THIS AMOUNT. WE HAVE CRUISED SEVERAL TIMES AND ALWAYS TIPPED VERY WELL WHEN THE SERVICE WAS DESERVING. I GUESS THE STAFF LUCKS OUT.
Old May 19th, 2003, 06:28 PM
First Mate

"I am not sure that my children recieve the same "service" as the adults...."

IN most cases children require and get more service than adults.
Old May 20th, 2003, 10:46 AM
bob h

In today's society that may be the case... I like to think my children are well behaved, but am willing to accept that I could be mistaken.

The cruise lines know (or should by now) that kids come with their parents and need certain things for them.... I would hope that Camp Carnival and other things for children are built into the price of your ticket. I doubt it's "free", so I don't include that in the 'recommended" tipping that is part of the auto tip. I have and will tip the Camp people.

I do think that the adults can be very child like (Well I can be, and plan on being soon) and ask for much attention.

Bob
Old May 20th, 2003, 01:50 PM
First Mate

Below are 3 posts form another board. Just some parents observations on extra services given to children that adults do not require.

As an earlier poster noted, kids' tips are the same as an adult. On our first cruise the waiter earned that and more with the kids. They were kind of picky eaters and the waiter was very much in tune with that.

tips go by passengar not age-think about it usually kids more picky about food-more messy-more work for the crew-if anything tip a little extra-of course it depends on YOUR kids-lots of kids are well mannered and well trained.

I have noticed that the service provided to my kids is usually even better than the service provided to me. I have had waiters take it upon theirselves to cut up the meat for my kids, do magic tricks, etc. They seem to go out of their way to make the kids happy which in turn makes the adults happy which in turn earns them an even larger tip than I was planning on giving them. Money well spent!
Old May 20th, 2003, 02:58 PM
Twister

I have a friend that works for Carnival before auto tipping the tipped employees were getting stiffed or tipped very little, this was bringing service down since they would look at the customer and judge whether they would get a decent tip or not and give service accordingly. Now with auto tipping they are for the most guarented to get tipped even though some people do remove it, also if they go above and beyond the minumin they are often tipped additional.
Old May 20th, 2003, 06:26 PM
First Mate

Our Very first crusie with Carnival we tipped above and beyond the allotted amount. We had a fantastic waiter and the assistant was so great.. The head waiter was out of this world. Have been in food service most of my adult life. So I do understand the tipping thing. So to show how much we appreciated the fantastic service. We all gave them great tips. This last cruise our servers were very nice. never knew our names or ever asked really. They gave us our food quite graciously. But never went the extra mile to know our names or to talk to us about where we were from or where he was from. So we tipped the amount we were told was appropriate. He could have come away with much more... If only he had given us that extra inch...... But we never once thought about not giving a tip. Just out of the question. Char
Old May 21st, 2003, 11:51 AM
bob h

Maybe I didn't make myself clear when I said that we usually tip above what is the "requested" amount... BTW where did the "suggested amount" come from? Is it some formula that Carnival uses when hiring people to say "we olny pay you this, but you can get this amount from the passengers"? Just wondering.... I ALWAYS tip according to service... good service get the usual... great service (as char said) gets the "icing" and deserves it... lousy service - well we all have had service that would have been better if you had done it yourself, and it deserves what it gets.

I believe that a "servcie driven industry" is just that - you get paid what you do.

There are always people who will not pay, or just maybe don't realize what they are doing when they either stiff or give just a token... BUT it's that way in anything you do, or any job you work at... ask your boss (or if you are the boss, ask yourself) has he had people that have not paid him, or taken months to do it? It just like tips.

no more rambling.... Love the comments!!

Bob
Old May 21st, 2003, 12:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Jedgar -

Does Carnival web site really say children under 2 are not "required" to extend gratuities? I think "expected" would be a better term..actually probably for everyone. If tips are "required", then they should be included in the cruise cost.

Suzi
Old May 21st, 2003, 02:44 PM
First Mate

Suzi

Yes that is the way it is worded on Carnival's web site.
www.carnival.com then at booked guest, then at welcome aboard, then at what is the tipping policy aboard. The web site is a little outdated as it only lists a few ships with the reverse tipping and I believe that all if not almost all their ships now have the reverse tipping (auto tipping)
Old May 22nd, 2003, 10:06 AM
L. Galloway

I read the other post and found it on the carnival webpage where it states tipping is a personal matter, however also on the carnival cruise line webpage is this information. I am on Fantasy which it states is still on a cash payment system, so i'm not 100% sure if this is accurate or not:

What is the tipping policy on board?
Gratuities are customarily given out the last evening of the cruise. We have set guidelines in regard to what is appropriate. Gratuities have traditionally been paid by cash or prepaid prior to the cruise. With the implementation of Team Service and other departmental changes on board, gratuities will be applied to the guest's Sail & Sign Account. Dependent upon the ship and the date of departure, gratuities will be handled accordingly:

Traditional System - Gratuities are paid with cash

Celebration Jubilee Holiday Fantasy Ecstasy Sensation Fascination Inspiration Elation Carnival Victory Carnival Destiny Carnival Triumph Carnival Spirit Carnival Pride

Reverse Gratuity Program - Gratuities are applied to guest's Sail & Sign Account

Imagination Paradise

Prepaid Gratuities - Gratuities are prearranged and paid prior to the cruise.

This option is available on all ships, at all times. Note: This is mandatory on "Cruises-to-Nowhere".

How much you tip is purely a personal matter and completely up to you. However, we do have many guests who ask for some guidelines in regard to what is appropriate. We suggest the following gratuities for general information only.

Room Steward: $3.50 per guest per day; Dining Room Team Service: $5.50 per guest per day; Alternative Dining Service: $.75 per guest per day.

Personnel, such as Bar Waiters, Bellboys, and Deck Stewards may be tipped as service is rendered. 15% of the bill is automatically added to beverage purchases which the guest may adjust appropriate to the service received. Tipping still applies regardless of the dining options selected, such as eating at the casual dining restaurant or utilizing room service. Note: Guests under two years of age are not required to extend gratuities.

If you have any further questions, the Purser or Cruise Director will be glad to help you.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 10:56 AM
Admiral

When we were on the Fantasy in September, the tips were done through auto-tipping, not cash. It looks like they haven't updated their information. (Notice how it also doesn't mention the Carnival Legend or Carnival Conquest.)

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Land Cruise, Britain and Belgium

Post Edited (05-22-03 14:42)
Old May 22nd, 2003, 02:14 PM
L. Galloway

Default Re: Re: Re: AUTO TIPPING

thanks for the update on Fantasy, I kinda' thought that might be the case. auto tipping is fine with me and less trouble, but I just hope that now that they are doing auto-tipping that it won't take away from the service. The service is what set's the cruise ship vacation apart from other vacations. If the service goes down, then where's the incentive? Hopefully, they will keep this in mind.
Old August 19th, 2003, 10:09 PM
Familiar Face

We had a child with us and they were charged the same for the tips.