Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 27th, 2003, 11:11 AM
Passenger

Default Meal costs in Ports (Jamaica,G.C.,Cozumel)

Can anyone tell me about how much we can expect to pay for a meal in ports -- we will be paying for 5 people (adults).... and i'm sure we will eat off the ship in Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, Cozumel .... We will eat at fun places! Just trying to get my budget together.. We're sailing 6/29/03 on Conquest

thanks
Sponsored Links
Old May 27th, 2003, 12:23 PM
Tim T

Default Re: Meal costs in Ports (Jamaica,G.C.,Cozumel)

Hi Elizabeth:

Cozumel is no more expensive than, say, Miami. Four of us ate at a beautiful waterfront restaurant called Acuario in downtown Cozumel. We splurged a little because it was Sunday, and we were in Cozumel after flying from Miami to Houston to Cozumel after missing the Triumph's departure on Saturday due to bad weather at home in Toronto.

We had some munchies originally (nachos, calamari, etc.) and we were imbibing considerably because this was actually the first night of our vacation. We ended up deciding to pick out live Caribbean lobster from their tank. We got two lobsters to split between 4 people, as they were quite large. The special was $44.95 a kilo for the lobsters with all the trimmings (a kilo is 2.2 lbs). We got neat pictures of our waiter holding up our lobsters. This dinner with, more drinks than we care to recall, ended up being $2600.00 pesos, or roughly $260.00US, with 15% service charge included. This is a great restaurant, and you sit right on the water (we watched the sun go down). Other offerings in Cozumel are the Hard Rock Cafe and Carlos and Charlies, but they seemed like the usual cookie-cutter versions of US-owned Mexican restaurants--I think we hit the better spot!

In Georgetown Grand Cayman we had a light lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe, did not have enough time to explore and find a more "native" restaurant. An appetizer platter (wings, onion rings, spring rolls, etc) and 2 beer was bout $25.00 US. (Their prices are usually quoted in GC dollars which are more expensive than US, 1$ GC=80 Cents US.)

Did not buy any food in Jamaica, although Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville is right on the dock, and many said it was lots of fun.

In short, I don't think you will find prices much different than in resort areas of the US. Maybe add about 15% because all the food has to be imported.

Hope this helps,

Tim
Old May 28th, 2003, 06:52 PM
Jasonsterling

I found Grand Cayman to be the most expensive of the three. A simple lunch (two sandwiches, an side dish and four beers was around fifty dollars U.S. at a local type place that was pleasant and on the water. The menu was written in Grand Cayman dollars and was expensive before hand but really so after the conversion! Oh well, that's vacation.

In Jamaica I really only had snack type stuff. At Doctor's Cove Beach I had a stuffed pastry type of thing that was a lot like a hot pocket! And Red Stripe Beer! Yeah! It was like two bucks total! Best deal on the Island Mon.

Cozumel was around 25 dollars at a place a little off the beaten path. That was for two dinner platter type things (Tacos, rice, beans ect.), chips and salsa and a few beers. The fare was fairly typical Tex-Mex (very much like On The Border or a place like that) but the enviroment was great as was the service. It also was right on the water and very peaceful.
Old May 29th, 2003, 09:07 AM
Admiral

In Cozumel, I highly recommend Pancho's Backyard. The food is extraordinarily delicious and the atmosphere is romantic and beautiful. On our first visit, our dinner, including chips and salsa, two appetizers, two entrees, three beers (for him) and a mango margarita (for her), cost around 60 American dollars. It was also too much food for us. Lunch is less expensive.

We've been to Cozumel twice now and the second time we made absolutely sure to stop there. I was looking forward to it for weeks!

Enjoy your cruise.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Land Cruise, Britain and Belgium