Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 6th, 2003, 12:11 PM
Passenger

Default Accidental Wine Bottle

Lets just say by some form of an accident, or mistake my four bags of checked luggage happen to have 1 wine bottle in each of them. Plus, my carry-on has a bottle as well for a total of 5. Know, I know that Carnival will allow one bottle to be brought on board for a special occasion. However, I may need to push the line a little.

My first question is, what are my chances of gettig all that on board?

Next, if I do get it on board, can I also pack a corkscrew in my checked luggage as well?

Now for my guilty feeling speech.
I still plan on buying alcohal on board. However, I dont want to break the bank doing it. Plus, I have seen Carnivals list of wines, and they do not carry my favorite.

So, any ideas from any of the other smugglers out there?

Thanks for your input :-)

Joe
Sponsored Links
Old June 6th, 2003, 12:33 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Accidental Wine Bottle

I have carried on 2 bottles with no problem but can't say about the corkscrew as we always took champagne and did not need. As for putting it in your checked luggage, have you ever seen how they handle that luggage? I would never do that but I know some folks do. I just don't know how you can explain "accidently" slipping in 4 bottles in your luggage <VBG>. But if you do just be sure to wrap it up so if it breaks it does not ruin your clothing.

Diane
Old June 6th, 2003, 01:14 PM
anita kennedy

I also am bringing my wine, 2 bottles, one in my husbands and one in mine, wrap in towel and plastic. I am putting the cork screw in also wrapped in plastic and towel or something. Hope I can get it in otherwise I will be in trouble opening the bottle.
I wonder if they let you buy wine by the bottle at dinner and bring the left over to your room? At 6.00 a glass its cheaper to buy the wine by the bottle. Good luck with your smuggling. What kind do you drink in case I don't get my on board?
Old June 6th, 2003, 01:30 PM
Admiral

The only way I would bring wine or any bottles of adult beverages onboard in checked luggage is in a hard-sided luggage with bubble wrap and sealed in a plastic bag and placed in the center of all my clothing for addition padding. Then maybe it will survive. <G> I doubt they will say much of anything over two or even three bottles of your favorite wine in your carry-on providing it is not a wine they also carry. Now a case.... <G>
Jim

Old June 6th, 2003, 04:04 PM
anita kennedy

joe asu

My husband had a good idea. Put your wine in plastic bottles, like 2 liter coke bottles or something and wrap it in bubble wrap etc. I asked don't you think it would taste funny but he reminded me when we buy the wine in the "boxes" with the spouts, You know what I am talking about. It is in a plastic bag. How does that sound and you don't need the cork screw...
Old June 6th, 2003, 05:36 PM
Passenger

we sailed the legend last january...

I took four bottles in my carry on and my partner took four bottles in hers.
we also took a bottle of tequila in our carry on.

we packed the corkscrew in our checked luggage and our steward was happy to bring us a shaker for our margaritas.

I beleive what they have a problem with is people bringing booze on and drinking it in their places.
we drank a bottle of our wine late afternoons on our deck before dinner.

we enjoyed all aspects of the ship and our departing bill was 5 pages long , I do not feel as if I cheated the cruise line at all..we never took our alcohol outside of our cabin.

J
Old June 6th, 2003, 05:39 PM
FamilyMan

so has anybody had a problem with taking a bottle of champagne on board as long as it is packed good? How do you pack it?

Cheryl
Old June 6th, 2003, 06:53 PM
Andee Bram

Anita's question:
I wonder if they let you buy wine by the bottle at dinner and bring the left over to your room?
When we went to the wine tasting on Princess, the entrance fee was $5, which was applied to a moderately priced bottle of one of the wines that we tasted, liked and bought. We didn't want to drink the whole bottle at dinner that night, so the waiter had it held for us so we could finish it another night. And that was in the Personal Choice dining room where we didn't have the same waiter every night. I don't know if Carnival has a similar arrangement.
Old June 6th, 2003, 10:05 PM
anita kennedy

Default Re: Re: Accidental Wine Bottle

thanks, I will check that out when I am on the ship.
Old June 7th, 2003, 03:37 PM
Admiral

Anita:

No wine should be uncorked, put into reused plastic bottles, and then put under any extreme temperature conditions! That wine is ruined!

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old June 7th, 2003, 03:56 PM
anita kennedy

Default Re: Re: Accidental Wine Bottle

thanks I will just bring my bottle in my carry on and that will be that. Guess I will put the cork screw in the checked bagage. How does that sound?
Old June 8th, 2003, 04:59 PM
Passenger

Send a message via ICQ to gene624 Send a message via AIM to gene624
Default Re: Re: Re: Accidental Wine Bottle

The corkscrew may give the airport security crown fits. Good luck though. I have almost always brought one or two bottles of booze in my luggage, stuffed between clothing. Never broke one yet. Never had one confiscated either.
Gene in Birmingham
Old June 8th, 2003, 05:15 PM
Spike

the corkscrew in checked lugage will not be a problem, it would in carry on though.
Old June 11th, 2003, 09:28 PM
Jeanine

Returned last Friday from the Fascination. There was no problem with packing 2 bottles of wine in two separate suitcases cushioned in our beach towels we were bringing along. Packed the wine opener in toilet kit, though I don't think there would be a problem in any checked luggage, as I'm sure there's no problem bringing aboard a manicure set, which sometimes even includes an opener.

The room steward was nice enough to keep a bottle iced in our room. It takes away some of the pleasure of having a glass of wine in your stateroom if you must pay around $7 a glass (after gratuity charges are added.)
Old June 12th, 2003, 08:14 AM
Admiral

Jeanine, the manicure set can indeed be a problem. I had mine confiscated, my dad and my husband had the little scissors taken and one of them had blunt tips. Just to be aware.
Old June 12th, 2003, 10:37 AM
Admiral

Let's just say, if you were to put a bottle of wine in each bag, hypthetically speaking, and checked each bag at the pier, and you were to check in through security and get to your room, and then your bags arrived, and you opened your bags, theoretically, you would have one bottle of wine in each bag. Unless the scoundrel at the dock ripped them off, theoretically speaking of course!

Regards,
Thomas
Old June 12th, 2003, 06:09 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to marvholly

Hubby and I have packed some wine for personal use in our own cabin on our last 2 cruises (11/02 NCL and 6/03 celebrity). We bought wine for dining from the cruise line and had it carried over from nite to nite as needed on both ships. Carnival also allows the same. This is important to us as hubby is red and I am white. We wrapped our personal spirits in bubble and put it in heavy duty zipperlock bags and had no problems either with breakage or security. It was great with sushi as we were getting ready for late seating or 7:30-8:00 dining. A corkscrew, like a cuticle nipper or nail file may be packed in checked luggage for the airlines. Cruise ships tend to be more liberal about sharp objects but why bother moving it before you unpack?

Regarding sharp objects during travel: If you question it, pack it in checked. A man ahead of us had 3 lighters and was told the TSA only allows 2. Last year hubby almost had his cigar lighter (mini-torch) confiscated. If there is a problem ask for a supervisor and explqin tyour usage. Hubby is also insulin dependent diabetic so we travel with 2 sizes of syringes always in our carry ons and a Dr letter.