Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 11th, 2003, 07:47 AM
anita kennedy

Default discounts

I think I am learning so much from ya'll. This will be my first cruise and I have learned (see if I have this straight) book your own cruise, keep checking prices before final payment is due and then let the TA know you know if the prices are down and ask for a reduction or credit, right. We booked 30 people through one TA and did get credit for booking so many rooms but nothing to compare to hundreds. My next cruise I will be so smart and can save money. We booked a balcony room got an upgrade to
7th level but paid almost 1300 pp. It looks like the prices are 700 or 800 per person now but it is to late and probably one of those thinigs you can't do when you book with a group. Oh well, I know we are going to have fun and it needs to get here really soon as the day to day is getting wild over here. 6/22 sail date conquest.
Sponsored Links
Old June 11th, 2003, 09:13 AM
susancruzs

Default Re: discounts

Have you contacted the TA handling your group? How about a shipboard credit for everyone seeing as the price difference seems a little drastic???

Enjoy your cruise, coming up real soon!

Susie
Old June 11th, 2003, 09:20 AM
Beginner

I too had gone on a cruise for a family reunion, the Carnival had upgraded a few of our family members but not all of us. I would either see if they can give you some sort of credit, or do it like we did, get some of the rooms upgraded.

Happy Sails!
Old June 12th, 2003, 08:38 AM
Cruise Maniac

To AnitaKelly:

Where did you see the price of the 6/22/03,THE CONQUEST cruise for something like 700 or 800?
Please let me know.

I have recently seen some ads on Carnival's website for other cruise date on the Conquest.

After we placed our deposit for the 6/22/03 cruise, I continuously looked on the Net and called travel places and Carnival for rates. Even after we placed the final payment, I kept calling Carnival and checking its website to see if prices went down. So far, nothing.

It seems that our sailing is almost sold out. When we paid in full, Carnival said about 70 % of the Ship was sold. About three weeks ago, I was told there were only 100 cabins left. In fact, some of the ibig discount cruise places, both online and when I called, no longer had the 8A and 8B category staterooms available.

Regarding specific prices, I am curious what other passengers sailing on 6/22/03 have paid. Sometimes discussion on a cruiseship includes the price of the cruise. We likewise paid about the same amount as you did for the same deck. We could even have staterooms near eachother.

We booked a specific stateroom (not a guarantee for the same category with a possible upgrade to another stateroom) in category 8B (stateroom with balcony on the EMPRESS Deck- Deck 7). We paid $1337 pp with insurance. Then I also used a coupon from the Entertainment Book (a coupon book I previously purchased) for a total of $100 off the cabin (or $50 pp).

So, now, other people may start discussing rates.
Old June 12th, 2003, 08:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

Sorry, I meant TO Anita Kennedy:

Since you booked so many rooms, you really should have probably received even a better price. However, I don't think you would ever find the $700 or $800 rates.

I've spent a long time reading the message board. I now have to really get myself into the packing routine.

Good Luck.
Old June 12th, 2003, 09:04 AM
anita kennedy

Default Re: Re: discounts

Sorry I think I misspoke on that price, I checked again yesterday and it does seem to be the same amount that I paid or close to it. We are on the same deck we are in room 7208, the first room, I am concerned about this room, but I am keeping a great state of mind that it will be great. what room are ya'll in and where are ya'll from.
We are from Baton Rouge, LA. First cruise for me and first for my husband in many years. He traveled with his parents a very long time ago. Our daughter 22 is going also first cruise. We have a lot to lear about cruising but I have learned very very much from this board. Sorry about the pricing error didn't mean to get your hopes up.
Old June 12th, 2003, 09:05 AM
anita kennedy

We got a $50 sign and sale credit for the number of rooms which is good. I did get the price wrong, I am a beginner remember. so sorry...
Old June 12th, 2003, 10:11 AM
Admiral

Let me give a little advice on pricing. After you have paid in full, NEVER ask or talk about what you paid. Someone always has paid less and someone has always paid more. Someone will always lie to you and tell you they got it for next to nothing and were upgraded to a suite, others may tell you they got ripped off and paid thousands for an inside. Bottom line is that you were happy with the price you paid when you booked or you should not have booked it. Be happy with it and don't worry about the other guy, it can only lead to getting upset and not enjoying yourself.
Jim

Old June 12th, 2003, 04:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

To JIM:
In some cases, you are probably correct. However, I guess I have to believe that most people on this message board will give the correct info. In addition, if some information regarding a reduction in price was known, then maybe I could check about that.

I used a TA who probably just does business via phone or online. I spoke to the agent on the phone and got a slightly better price than what was advertised on his website.
Old June 12th, 2003, 04:20 PM
Admiral

Yes Cruisemates is a great place to hear about any price reductions. The folks that visit here are very helpful and willing to share. My point was not to let the price worry you after you have booked as I have seen a number of folks do. I saw one couple that was so upset because they paid a certain price and someone else they met told them how little they paid in comparison, all this couple could think or talk about was how they got taken and made for a poor trip for them.
The second part of your post is a very good point. Often if you call the TA directly, even if their price is laid out on the website, you can get your costs lowered. Something everyone should check on. DOn;t be afraid to ask if they can do better than advertised. It also helps to have knowledge of the going rates elsewhere so make sure you research those prices too.
JIm

Old June 13th, 2003, 11:30 AM
Admiral

I agree with Jim. To me, the price you paid for your cruise is like your salary. It just isn't anybody else's business.

Our last cruise was the first in which we've had to deal with nosy people who wanted to know how much we paid for the cruise compared to what they and others have paid. We were seated with them at open seating breakfast. We just gave generalizations when they kept pressing. I find that type of conversation, especially with strangers, very rude.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Land Cruise, Britain and Belgium

Old June 13th, 2003, 09:49 PM
16bobby

Hi All,
Friend just bowed out of going on a 2 day cruise to nowhere this tuesday, June 17. I checked with a TA and she said the price will be about 175% of a double occupancy room price. Is there any legitimate TA or broker who might lower the price to about 125% or lower on this June 17 cruise? Also I'm going to wait until Tuesday morning to contact the TA and/or the cruise line to see if any cabins are avallable and hope I can get a decent price for this cruise. If not, I tried. Any suggestions or comments? Many Thanks for all the wonderful help in the past.

Bob K
Old June 14th, 2003, 09:48 AM
Admiral

Bob,
It isn't the TA that sets the fares, it's the cruiseline. Unfortunately that is pretty much the standard and you probably will not be able to get around it. Now some cruiselines allow you to book a GTY share where they will try to place you in a cabin with someone else, (same gender), and you pay the regular fare pp. If they do not locate a roommate for you you get a cabin by yourself for the price of a single fare and not the 175% fee. Your TA should be your best source of help but you also might try the Bargain Findere here at Cruisemates to see if some other TA might have a deal for you.
Jim