Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 12th, 2003, 01:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Conquest out of Gulfport

Talked to Carnival today and it looks like the July 6th sailing is leaving and returning to Gulfport. Any information anybody could provide about getting to and from the airport would be appreciated. We have a 12:45 return flight out of New Orleans and with the port change I'm a little worried. Should I purchase transfers from carnival?
Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2003, 01:47 PM
LAC

Default Re: Conquest out of Gulfport

I sailed on conquest on 4-20-03 changed my plans for a later flight wish i never had was at airport by 10:30 would have made my 12:45 flight easy finally left at 6:00pm long day at an old airport
Old June 12th, 2003, 04:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

To Janice:

I'm sailing on the June 22 Conquest Cruise.

Carnival has been providing complimentary transportation for its passengers FROM either the New Orleans Pier or New Orleans Airport TO Gufport. Then from Gulfport to either New Orleans or the Airport.

From what I have read on this message board, if the Ship arrives ontime to Gulfport, debarkation should be ok and you should be able to make your flight. I understand it takes about 1 1/2 hours from Gulfport to the New Orleans airport. It may be a waste of money to purchase transfers unlessl you are guarnteed a credit or whatever from Carnival if you should miss your flight.

If you have not already purchased your tickets, then maybe you should purcahse an Air/Sea combination with Carnival, so if you should miss the flight, Carnival would have to pay for the change to another flight.
Old June 13th, 2003, 12:16 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to pridevacation

Just called CCL.

The sailing on July 6th, will depart to and from Gpt, but then the ship will move to NOLA to let the passengers board there for the July 13th cruise. Passengers will NOT be allowed to sail from GPT to NOLA, they HAVE to get off in GPT.

All this is if the water level coperates in NOLA.

Darrell

June 4, 20004 American Queen
November 20, 2004RCCL Grandeur/Seas
January 29, 2005 Carnival Sensation
September 11, 2006 Carnival Holiday
Old June 14th, 2003, 09:28 AM
LHP

I just read this...someone at Carnival needs to get their story straight. Obviously, this story makes more sense...because doesn't it take 6 hours just to get up the Mississippi River and that would make the normal embarkation times impossible.

May 30, 2003

Conquest Plans New Orleans Return
Carnival Conquest, which was forced to abruptly swap its New Orleans home port for Gulfport, Mississippi as a result of rising river levels (and a disagreement over power line placement with an energy company) plans to resume Big Easy sailings beginning July 13.

The switch occurs some six weeks later than Carnival’s best-case-scenarios had anticipated because the Mississippi is cresting later than usual – and, indeed, is not intended to reach maximum levels until mid-June. The July 13 date gives Carnival some breathing room. “We’re giving ourselves a couple of weeks as a safety zone, just to be sure,” says spokesman Tim Gallagher. “We only want to make the switch once. It’s a big logistical nightmare for us. And it’s an inconvenience to our guests.”

Despite all initial intentions for Conquest to sail out of New Orleans year-round, a dispute between Carnival and Entergy, the power company, over power lines that hung too low during rainy season for the ship to pass safely under, resulted in a move to Gulfport beginning with the March 9th cruise.

Passengers sailing on Conquest’s July 6th voyage should prepare for a split home port situation, as the ship will leave from Gulfport and return to New Orleans. Gallagher says passengers on that one sailing – who plan to drive to the port – should park in New Orleans and take a free shuttle to Gulfport for embarkation.

At this point no special “welcome back” festivities are planned for Conquest but Gallagher, with evident relief, says that the energy line issue is now moot (Entergy is raising the power lines as a temporary measure and is also working on burying them in the river altogether as a permanent one) and there are no plans to switch Conquest in the future. However, he also makes a point to applaud the effort of Gulfport to accommodate Conquest, reiterating a point he’s consistently made since Conquest had made the relatively sudden switch: “Gulfport was great to work with. There is no doubt that there’s a cruise ship in Gulfport’s future.”
Old June 15th, 2003, 08:48 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Conquest out of Gulfport

i called carnival a couple of weeks ago and was told that in no way would a passenger leave from one port and return to another.... i told her that i thought i had read where that had already happened ... on the conquest where a group had left from NOLA and returned to GP... she said that wasn't true.....

u never know what is correct info.... i seem to get my best info from this message board over carnival and my TA !!

Thanks to all on here for the info and advice!
Old June 15th, 2003, 11:10 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

For what it's worth, it does take about 5 hours to transit the Mississippi River to get to NOLA.......so, yes the first story might make sense!

Old June 16th, 2003, 08:52 AM
LHP

Elizabeth: You are exactly right about what happened when the Conquest transferred from New Orleans to Gulfport. I can not understand why these Carnival clerks don't know this. Carnival repositions ships all the time with passengers on board. You all need to contact Carnival again and start asking for supervisors. Unfortunately, these clerks don't have a clue. Obviously, this is an area Carnival needs to improve on. I love Carnival. We are fixing to go on our third Carnival cruise this year in July, but they need to get their act together at the switchboard! This is important information.
Old June 16th, 2003, 02:00 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to pridevacation

The last statement is very true, and the bad thing was when the ship left New Olrleans on the Sunday before Mardi Gras, the entire USA knew that ship was returning to Gulfport 2 days later, but the folks on the ship found out 2 more days behind that, and they were on their own about missed flight connections.

Darrell

June 4, 20004 American Queen
November 20, 2004RCCL Grandeur/Seas
January 29, 2005 Carnival Sensation
September 11, 2006 Carnival Holiday
Old June 17th, 2003, 07:25 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to NDalfrey

I just returned from the Conquest on Sunday and they started getting people with early flights off at 7:30. If the ship is still in Gulfport you should make it in plenty of time.