Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 18th, 2003, 12:40 PM
Beginner

Default All Day Ride on Amtrak to New Orleans

We are taking the train from the Greenwood, Mississippi station to the New Orleans station, arriving one day prior to our cruise departure. Has anyone had any experience with Amtrak on an all-day train ride? I am travelling with my two kids (9 and 7) and I thought that taking the train would be a lot more fun, not to mention less stressful, than an 8 hour drive. It's also about 1/4 of the price of flying, even on Southwest Airlines. I'd love to hear back from anyone with any stories, warnings, or suggestions about the train. Thx.
Sponsored Links
Old June 18th, 2003, 12:53 PM
GLRounds

Default Re: All Day Ride on Amtrak to New Orleans

I'm sorry I can't help, but what a GREAT IDEA !. I wonder if anyone that posts can also tell me if it would be feasible to get to New Orleans from Los Angeles on AMTRAK?

Gary
Old June 18th, 2003, 02:01 PM
Captain

I have traveled on Amtrak several times. I have done rides from one day up to 5 days. Amtrak can be very comfortable, it also can be hard to walk if you are on someolder less maintained tracks. The cars can ride fairly smoothly or rock quite a bit. The seats are much more comfortable than on planes and they do recline quite a bit and have foot rests.

There usually is a snack car and dining car. The observation car at times will show videos for kids during the day and sometimes video's for adults in the evening. The food in the dining cars is very good but can be pricey if you just have coach seating. The snack car usually has mini pizza's, sandwiches, ice cream and beverages.

You can see some great countryside until you get into the cities. In the cities the trains always run through industrial or junkyard type areas to not bother the people in houses unless necessary.

As I said I have ridden Amtrak and someday I will do so again. My wife does not like to fly and has taken Amtrak much more than I have. If time allows we do take Amtrak to get to a cruise port.

For the person that asked can Amtrak get you from LA to New Orleans, Yes it can but you will transfer trains a couple times.
Old June 18th, 2003, 02:52 PM
Admiral

They have a website and you can check the iten and prices also. They usually are better than flying but that would depend on alot of variables. I always check all the variables and then weigh them out when I make a decision. As many times as I want to include Greyhound I just can't get myself to do it. My son has taken the bus several times and while he hates it if that is the cheapest route then he will do it. I have only taken Amtrak for short rides but my husband did a longer route and took the sleeper car which he really enjoyed.
Old June 18th, 2003, 05:53 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to pridevacation

To the man who asked about a train ride from LAX to NOLA, you would board the train on Wed at 830pm and arrive in New Orleans on Fri at 830pm, you would need a hotel room for those 2 nights before the 7 day cruise. The Amtrak (Sunset Limited) only travels 3 days a week from coast to coast, and you would have to make sure the dates matched up with the cruise. You will also have to arrange a hotel the returning cruise night, because the train would not depart NOLA until Monday lunch-time.

Let me know if I can help more.

Darrell

June 4, 20004 American Queen
November 20, 2004RCCL Grandeur/Seas
January 29, 2005 Carnival Sensation
September 11, 2006 Carnival Holiday