Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 21st, 2003, 05:08 PM
clem

Default Marriage license required???

Will I really need to show my marriage license to prove why my name on my Birth Certificate, doesn't match my name on driver's license? I was told by a Carnival agent that I will need to show it before I can get on the ship. Has anyone had any experience with this???

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2003, 10:06 PM
char Hempler

Default Re: Marriage license required???

Hi, Yes I did have to show it once. the other times they never asked for it. But I always carry it when traveling. Just to be prepared. Happy cruising.... Char
Old June 21st, 2003, 11:56 PM
First Mate

When is the cruise? Why not just get a new license with your married name? That will eliminate one more piece of paper you won't have to worry about losing.
Old June 22nd, 2003, 09:38 AM
Admiral

Keep your DL with your married name. Bring your marrage license just in case although the chances are slim you will need to show it. Do bring it because if they DO ask, you will have to have it or you may be sitting on the dock waving goodbye to the ship. As Mike suggested, get a Passport, best ID in the world, accepted for anything, anywhere, at anytime and not just for traveling.
Jim

Old June 22nd, 2003, 10:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

We just were on Adventure of the Seas out of San Juan and my wife brought her drivers license ( maiden name) and birth certificate and she had no problems. She was listed on the manifest with her maiden name. We called RCCL beforehand and asked about this exact topic and they said go with the maiden name. Call Carnival because I am sure they will tell you the same thing.
Old June 22nd, 2003, 02:09 PM
Admiral

I never did and we were on the Carnvial Triumph. I just showed them my original BC along with my Drivers license and they looked and didn't ask for my marriage license. I did though bring it along just in case.

Post Edited (06-22-03 14:10)
Old June 23rd, 2003, 07:19 PM
Gina Jensen

I called Carnival today and was told that you do need your marriage certificate. In my opinion some Carnival reps will tell you yes and some say no however after reading these posts I started to panic about my clients having problems and think it is best to be safe than sorry. One of my clients does not have her certificate and I called Nevada where she was married and had them send it. It took me about 5 minutes on the internet, 2 phone calls and for only $11.00 she will have it in 3-5 days. If all states are that simple I think everyone should just carry one in case they ask ( although they rarely do). She had no clue even what year or day she was married on. Interestingly enough I was told that she was married on her birthday 1992. How could one forget that. Anyway we had a good laugh over it.. Bottom line bring the certificate just in case. Sincerely, Gina
Old June 23rd, 2003, 08:40 PM
clem

OK--I found my marriage certificate--but it doesn't have a raised seal or anything like my birth certificate. It is the only one I have. Will that work?
Old June 24th, 2003, 02:03 AM
Sooshie

I've been on 3 cruises (soon to be 4), flown to the Bahamas twice and i have yet to be asked for my marriage license. My BC is in my maiden name and my drivers license is in my married name...seems like they should ask, but they never do. I never used to carry my marriage license, but since I have used the word "never" I think I'll start bringing it.
Old June 24th, 2003, 06:44 AM
Admiral

Been on 5 cruises, always took my marriage license, NO ONE asked to see it. Clem, don't sweat it. Take it with just in case but chances are you won't need it.
Old June 25th, 2003, 09:42 PM
Passenger

We are leaving on the Holiday on the 5th, and I called Carnival the other day on this same topic. I was told to bring the marriage license, but would probably not be asked. I have it already packed. Better to be safe than sorry.

On my first cruise (19 years ago), didn't need the marriage license.

Old June 26th, 2003, 08:18 AM
Passenger

The only time I had to have my marriage license was our very first cruise which was the honeymoon cruise. Our travel agent booked under our "married" name, only I didn't realize at the time that the court offices takes a while to process all this stuff. I had to have pastor sign his part, hand carry it and then wait while they processed and gave me a certified copy. What a mess, but unless you are newly married shouldn't be a problem. The only time a complication comes in is when things don't match what's on the cruise documents. My opinion it's always better to be safe than sorry.

Have a great time,
L Galloway
Old June 26th, 2003, 08:39 AM
Passenger

I have a new twist to this question that I am hoping someone can answer. I have a valid passport, but it is in my maiden name. I am already booked for our 10th anniversary cruise on August 1st, listed in my married name. Should I change my name on the reservation so that my name matches my passport or should I be okay to just carrry my drivers license with my picture and married name? I took our marriage license with us the last time that we cruised but it doesn't have a raised seal either (like a previous poster described) Is this a vaild certificate? Thanks for any advice!