CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   no motion meds allowed... (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/191298-no-motion-meds-allowed.html)

AmyE June 24th, 2003 09:39 PM

no motion meds allowed...

I recently found out that my husband and I are expecting our 3rd child :) I also just found out from my doctor today that I can't take any motion sickness medications... Will I survive our 1st cruise this Monday? I am sailing on the Legend out of NYC and I am afraid we may enconter some rough seas... Has anyone used any herbal remedies that really work for motion sickness and are ok to use while pregnant? I am really worried that I am going to spend my vacation feeling sick... I haven't experienced any morning sickness in the 9 wks that I have been pregnant...maybe that is a sign that I will be fine :)

YankeesBrat June 24th, 2003 09:45 PM

Re: no motion meds allowed...

Last year my friends and I all bought sea-bands. They are elastic wrist bands that have a "button" on the inside. WHen you put them on properly, the button pushes against a pressure point in your wrist that helps to alleviate motion sickness. You can wait until you feel sick to use them, and there is no medication involved! According to the box, they are also good for morning sickess associated with pregnancy. They worked well for us last year!

Also heard that ginger tablets work well, although I've never tried them.

Congrats on the baby! Have fun on the trip!

Jennie

AmyE June 24th, 2003 09:47 PM

Thank you! Where can I find the wrist bands? I have never heard of them before....

clem June 24th, 2003 10:13 PM

Amy,

First of all--Congratulations! I agree--Sea bands are great. My little girl gets car sick sometimes, so I was very worried about cruising. She wore these on our first cruise, and was fine. She even wears them in the car now. We got ours at the local drug store. The Wal-Mart close to us used to have them, but no longer carries them. I would check with your local drug store. Have a great cruise!

Clem

nu2cruise June 24th, 2003 10:33 PM

Re: Re: no motion meds allowed...

I found them at Walgreens!

Lisa June 25th, 2003 12:44 AM

Seabands are great but have to be positioned just so to be effective. There is something out there called "Relief Bands" which are more expensive. Do an internet search - they are VERY effective. They send a small electrical impulse into the body (not harmful at all) to alleviate seasickness.

PapaBill June 25th, 2003 09:20 AM

Sea Bands are available at CVS. My grandaughter uses them very effectivly for car sickness.

AmyE June 25th, 2003 11:44 AM

Thank you so much for all the info! I am going to go buy some today. Its good to hear that there are others things out there that really work!

Jim Bragg June 25th, 2003 11:44 AM

Ginger.
Jim

mbuckellew June 25th, 2003 12:48 PM

Ginger also works. Even sipping a ginger ale and eating some saltines may help if you feel queasy. You should probably ask your pharmacist while you're picking up the seabands if he has any advice for you.

Congratulations! And have a great cruise.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/co...zone=GMT-0500f
Land Cruise, Britain and Belgium

MichelleM June 25th, 2003 01:04 PM

I'm glad you posted this question. I was wondering the same thing. I'm 6 weeks pregnant (will be early in the 2nd trimester for our upcoming cruise). I haven't had a problem with motion sickness on any of our other cruises but I know that pregnancy can change that so I wanted to be prefered.

If those bands help with morning sickness I might go get some right now and try them out. I'm willing to try anything.

Congrats on your baby

Zina June 25th, 2003 01:57 PM

Michelle, Get the Sea Bands!!

Not only are they good for motion sickness of any kind, they are effective for morning sickness and migraines as well. I got ours at WalMart. They're worth their weight in diamonds!

BlueEyes78 June 25th, 2003 02:31 PM

I found on my first cruise (on the Sensation in 2000) that how much you feel the motion depends on your deck. All of the couples at my table had cabins on the Riviera deck but one...the couple who had paid more and ended up on the Empress also were nauseated for three days of the trip while the rest of us below were OK. Could have been coincidence, but it seemed to me the motion of the ship was much more discernable when I was in the dining room or on the Lido deck then it was down in our cabin. And even then it wasn't that bad, except for the night we went up the Mississippi River to New Orleans. 100 miles of twisty, turny river in a HUGE ship made for some interesting sharp turns! : )

I also found the wrist bands at CVS, so most drug stores should have them.

mbuckellew June 25th, 2003 02:56 PM

Congratulations to you, too, Michelle! Hope the seabands work for you.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

rollerdonna June 25th, 2003 09:08 PM

Amy, Congratulations on the pregnancy first of all, and it seems you've been given lots of ideas and remedies. I'd just like to add a little reassurance. No-one can have a weaker stomach than me; I get car-sick, bus-sick,train-sick, swing-sick...well you get the idea. I was terriffied of my 1st cruise, thinking I'd be pals with the toilet the whole week. However, for some reason, I have never ever been sick on a cruise ship! Have done 3 so far, with #4 coming up in Aug. - strangely enough, on the Legend like you! Would love to hear about your trip when you get back, so keep on posting here, ok?

donna

newcruiser June 25th, 2003 09:34 PM

We were on Legend from NYC just a few weeks ago. I used the relief band available at sharper image (link - http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/ca...id=3&catid=306). No clue why it worked, but it was great.

Luna June 25th, 2003 10:25 PM

Has anyone actually tried these bands for migraines? I get migraines and
will go out and buy some tomorrow if it's possible they will help me!

AmyE June 25th, 2003 10:41 PM

Thanks everyone for all your advise :) Does anyone know how much the Sea bands are? I just looked up the sharper image relief band and it was $110!!! Donna, I will let you know how the cruise went :) I'll be posting when I return.

mbuckellew June 26th, 2003 10:22 AM

Seabands are a lot cheaper than the relief band. The relief band is so expensive because it is an electrical device. Seabands are just elastic bands with little bumps you line up on certain pressure points on your wrist. They are more like $10, probably less.

By the way, please come back and let us know if they work for morning sickness as well as motion sickness. I'm curious about this myself.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Post Edited (06-26-03 09:22)

char Hempler June 26th, 2003 01:20 PM

Our last cruise one of our group was 5 months pregnant. She took nothing and never had a problem at all with sea sickness. Go with a positive attitude and you will be just fine. Congratulations on your new bundle of joy! Char

lisagro June 26th, 2003 01:40 PM

Just in case, check with your doctor. I went on my first cruise right after we started trying to get pregnant. Since I didn't know if I was or wasn't, the doctor told me to take Benadryl if I needed it for seasickness. I did take it once, and I was pregnant!

JeanS June 26th, 2003 01:42 PM

I bought some wrist bands w/the button on them at my local AAA and they were less than $10. They were for my nephew who had a real problem with becoming ill in the car, and they worked really well for him...

Have a great time!

AmyE June 27th, 2003 09:33 AM

I'll let you all know how the wrist bands work...leaving in 3 days and still haven't packed! I am a "wait to the last minute packer" :) Lisa, my doctor did say it was ok to take Benadryl, but since I am already tired all the time...I don't want it to knock me out! I think I'd rather feel a little sick.

-Rob June 27th, 2003 12:49 PM

We were on the Pride (sister to the legend) and it was a rockin boat!!! Maybe because we were going around a tropical wave, and the wind was terrible...... I hope it's not that bad for you. Even with the rocking, you will love your cruise!! Sprit class carnival ships are beautiful!

Rob

tinker June 30th, 2003 10:31 AM

I would be very interested if anyone has used these for migraines. Do you wear them all the time or only when you get one? My daughter and 9 year old grandson get them bad and both are on medication so any help would be appreciated. Please email me directly if you want. Thank you.