Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 28th, 2003, 06:53 PM
JeannieNY

Default Car rental Fll dropoff Miami

Oh boy, I may be in trouble--last cruise I was able to pick up an Avis rental in Fort Lauderdale & drop it off at the Port of Miami. As far as I know it's the only rental co. with a dropoff at the port & it was great! I just tried to book the same thing for my family's cruise in August--a rental will be the best way to go, as we are arriving Friday night, staying in a hotel Fri. & Sat. nights to do a little sightseeing & drop the car off Sunday before the cruise. When I went on Avis.com, the date I need is sold out! Any suggestions would be helpful--do other car rental companies have drop-offs near port & do they offer a free shuttle like Avis? Also, Avis allows pickup in Fort Lauderdale & drop-off in Miami for no extra fee. I was really counting on this, but I was NOT counting on them to be sold out already!! HELP!! (thanks!)
Sponsored Links
Old June 29th, 2003, 09:40 AM
Varlene

Default Re: Car rental Fll dropoff Miami

We are also flying into FLL and cruising from Miami. We have booked with Budget because they have a drop-off at the Sheraton Biscayne, where we happen to be staying. We will then just take a taxi to the pier from the hotel.
Old June 29th, 2003, 03:56 PM
JeannieNY

Thanks--I will have to check and see if other hotels have similar rental drop-offs, I'm going to keep on checking to see if Avis will eventually have other rentals available, maybe since the demand is higher, they will send out a few more cars.
Old July 2nd, 2003, 07:03 PM
Beginner

Jeannie:
When I called Avis on the weekend, they told me they don't have the office at the port anymore.
We are travelling this fall, flying into FLL and staying downtown Miami one night prior to the cruise. This time we are going to use Thrifty as they gave us the best quote for a one way drop-off from FLL to downtown Miami. They have an office at the Hyatt Regency downtown Miami.
We tried some on-line sites and most of them show 'no cars available' for one-way rentals to downtown locations. Most of them require you to return the car to the Miami airport office.
In the end our best quote was directly from the Thrifty office in Miami - as opposed to using web sites or national call centres.

Two months ago we used Budget and returned the car to the Sheraton office as Varlene suggested. We found Budget to be very good. We dropped the car off by 4pm on Sat (closing time) and walked back to the Holiday Inn - about a 10-15 minute walk. The next day we took a cab from the hotel to the pier for less than $10.
Old July 2nd, 2003, 07:41 PM
TomS

Unfortunately, Avis closed down their drop-off office at the Port of Miami. You can see if they have transportation from their drop-off locations at Miami International Airport to the pier. The airport is only about fifteen minutes from the Port of Miami.

TomS