Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 29th, 2003, 04:21 PM
LindaS

Default Carnival Elation First Timer

Has anyone been on the Carnival Elation recently? I was interested in how the cruise went. I will be sailing with my spouse, brothers, sisters and parents who are celebrating their 50th anniversary. Does the ship offer anything special for a 50th anniversary?
Thanks!

LindaS
Sponsored Links
Old June 30th, 2003, 08:07 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Carnival Elation First Timer

I was on Elation in Feb this year. As for how it went, well that depends because you aren't specific, it went fine. The wait staff will sing happy anniversary and present your parents with a cake if advised. Otherwise that's all they do.

Diane
Old June 30th, 2003, 05:22 PM
First Mate

In addition to above, you can order gifts or cabin decorations at http://gifts.carnival.com/Catalog.asp?CategoryID=2

Old June 30th, 2003, 06:46 PM
BCMOM

Default Re: Re: Carnival Elation First Timer

Cole Porter Lounge ...band called...Music Forever. When we sailed the Elation two years ago, we went with my inlaws who celebrated their fiftieth anniversary. They thoroughly enjoyed the Filipino band that was playing in the Cole Porter Lounge. They were awesome...played a lot of great dancing tunes....Engleburt Humperdink, Johnny Mathas, etc.. You might want to check it out. Very relaxing and romantic. Very age appropriate, although, we enjoyed the oldies as well..and we're in our forties...... We loved the Elation! Awesome staff and super dining room food.
Old June 30th, 2003, 07:08 PM
Passenger

I just got back yesterday, and we had a great time! If you want to see the pictures, here is the link : http://community.webshots.com/user/jenmoreno

If you let your dining room servers know, they will bring out a special cake and sing for special occasions. If you have any specific questions, e-mail me and I will be happy to help if I can.
Old June 30th, 2003, 08:44 PM
Passenger

Oh - and be sure to take advantage of the"early check in" offered at the Long Beach terminal! We got there at 9:00, parked, surrendered our luggage to the porters, and were the first ones to register for our cruise! (computers were down until 9:15, but when they finally came up it only took us 5 minutes to register and there were only about 6 familys there to check in when we left at 9:20!) We then drove to my mom and dads and dropped off our car, went to brunch and they dropped us off at 12:00. We breezed right onto the ship with our carry ons walking right past the approximately 250 plus people standing in line to register!

I think the Long Beach terminal is the only port to offer early check in, but it is wonderful!
Old June 30th, 2003, 11:17 PM
char Hempler

Jen, I just looked at your pics. Beautiful shots. Thanks for letting us all see. We go to The mexican Riviera next April. All booked and we are ready to go. Now the wait. would love to hear some of the excursions you did. with the cruise ship or alone. Thanks again.. Happy cruising.. Char
Old July 1st, 2003, 03:05 AM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Melanie

Great pictures, Jen. Brought back some great memories. We were on the Elation last November. I recognized Randi and her happy horses right away! I also have some pictures posted in the Photo Gallery listed under "Elation" by Melanie.

We are sailing again this coming November for our 25th anniversary so I am curious also as to what to expect since the travel agent noted that it would be our anniversary when she made our booking. Do we have to let them know again when we board or is this something that we wont have to worry about since it was noted at the time of booking. I know my hubby, he would just as soon keep it a secret...lol.

Linda, hope you guys have a great time. We sure did!!

Melanie

Paradise - January 2009

Paradise - April 2008
Carnival Pride - Nov 2007
Paradise - Sept 2005
Carnival Pride - Nov 2004
Ecstasy - Jan 2004
Carnival Pride - Nov 2003
Elation - Nov 2002
Old July 1st, 2003, 08:58 PM
Passenger

Thanks Char and Melanie - we sure enjoyed our trip and the photos will be a great memory! If you would like them to sing and bring a cake for your anniversary, I would mention it to your headwaiter - not sure if they will get the info from the booking!

I'm jealous! Have a wonderful trip!!!
Old July 1st, 2003, 09:24 PM
LindaS

Hi Jen,
Great pictures, sure looked liked you guys had a lot of fun! Thanks for sharing. Thanks to everyone's comments as well. I do have one more question for everyone. My family, which is quite large, decided to rent tuxedo's for the first formal night since it is when we are celebrating my parents 50th anniversary. They also discussed having the guys rent a white dinner jacket for the second formal night. From your experience, do you believe a suit and short cocktail dress will suffice? As I said, we are first timers and could use any tid bit of advice you can give us. Once again, thanks to all!
Linda
Old July 1st, 2003, 11:40 PM
BCMOM

Yes...a suit and and a cocktail length dress are more than just fine. You will see all kinds of clothing on formal night..from dress pants and velvet tops to ball gowns...a lot of women on the Elation wore cocktail dresses and most men wore dark suits and ties. Think wedding...what would you wear to a wedding...and go with it.. Have a great cruise!
Old July 2nd, 2003, 07:46 AM
Passenger

I agree with BCMOM - Tuxes are not required and we saw only a few. In fact, we saw many with just a dress shirt and tie on so unless you WANT to go whole hog - bring suits and save the money for excursions or other things!
Old July 11th, 2003, 09:29 PM
Passenger

Hi -

I just got home from a week on Elation - it was fabulous! The only recommendation I have for first-timers is to watch out at the spa. It is not run by Carnival, and we were "inconvenienced" several times. The manager is rude and the girls working there are very nice, but very overworked. We paid entirely too much for poor service. We stepped on board and went directly to the spa to book massages for Monday morning. We were notified the next morning that we couldn't be "squeezed in" until Wednesday. When we arrived, they were out of the sea salt that was to be part of the massage. How can they be "out" on the second day of the cruise?

Be sure to ask if the person handling your treatment is trained in that particular area. I had a girl give me a manicure and pedicure who was not trained. She butchered my nails.

Also, the shore excursions are not run by Carnival, but by tour companies in Mexico. The tour groups in Puerto Vallarta were very disorganized. We did the dolphin encounter in the morning and had planned to do the art galleries in the afteroon. We didn't find out until we left the ship that our afternoon tour had been cancelled. We did get our money back, but were not offered any additional help. In Mazatlan, the tour company was great - very professional, and very organized. I recommend the Shop,Beach,Lunch tour. It wasn't too expensive and it was a lot of fun.

If you see Joel and Romune in the dining room - tell them Miss Rosie and Miss Julia said hello!

Enjoy your trip - Rose
Old July 12th, 2003, 12:14 AM
TomS

I was on the Elation at the end of April. The ship is in good shape. The service, expecially in the dining room, was some of the best I've expierenced. I felt the food was OK, but some of my cruisemates said that it was bery good. The ports were OK, but we spent way too little time in Cabo San Lucas. A couple of things, beware of Senor Frogs in Puerto Villarta. The drinks are strong, and it flows freely. It was a little chilly the first and last night of the cruise. Also, once you leave Cabo San Lucas, it can get very windy on deck.

Overall, it was one of the best cruises I had. While I feel the Caribbean ports are nicer, I wouldn't be adverse to going back on this cruise.

TomS
Old July 12th, 2003, 09:32 AM
anita kennedy

anther idea is on the formal night when you celebrate the 50th anniversary ask
for a formal picture of the group. Our group was 49 and we did this. They photograhers are great. Maybe you can get one before you go into dinner. You will have to ask someone, one of the photo guys, maybe somebody else knows who to ask because you don't want to stand in line and do the regular formal shot. They will take you somewhere where there is a big area, arrange you, and then take the picture.
This guy had to go up 3 flights of steps to get us all in but he took one shot and you can actually see everybody all 49... it is a beautiful picture and they are ready the next day. You parents will love this as a memory. I don't know if the guy who arranged this for us tipped anybody or not all I did was show up...
Old July 20th, 2003, 10:29 AM
CalifHRGal

My first ever cruise was this past May on the Elation. I travelled solo and so was a bit apprehensive...at first! The Elation showed signs of wear...carpeting in the hallways looked a bit worn and the cabins could use a bit of sprucing up but I was very very pleased with my first experince. Boarding experience was great...as I got there early and got right on as well. Debarkation went smooth although I was one of the last to get off and through customs. The good part about being one of the last to get through customs was that it was extremely easy to locate my luggage! . I packed WAY TOO MUCH for 7 days and I don't have to tell you how much I had after shopping at all 3 ports!!! (thank God for porters). Plenty of activities and shows to choose from and I think the STAFF was great especially after meeting some of the "not so pleasant" cruisers at some of the open seating meals!!! I was impressed that the waiters could remember the little "special things"...like the fact I liked coffee after dinner with cream and S&L or that I preferred desserts that included chocolate. Same for my table mates. A very nice touch! Lastly...having all those "kodak" moments available was really nice too, esp. for those formal evenings. What can I say? I'm ready to do it all over again.