Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 3rd, 2003, 08:52 AM
Passenger

Default Suggestions for hotels close to New Orleans Port

I am looking for Hotel suggestions for hotels close to the port of New Orleans. Preferably just a few blocks away. Thanks for your suggestions in advance.

Imagination 96
Destiny 97
Holiday 99
Fascination 01
Rotterdam 02
Conquest 07/03
Conquest 02/29/04
Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2003, 12:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Suggestions for hotels close to New Orleans Port

We stayed at the Marriot on Canal St. in the French Quarter and really enjoyed it.
Old July 6th, 2003, 01:49 PM
bhamilton

Default Re: Re: Suggestions for hotels close to New Orleans Port

The Hilton is very close but its expensive. (We found the anniversary pkg to be less then the regular rate.) We have also stayed at the Marriott & its nice. The Sheraton is across from it. There are lots of great hotels within an easy walking distance.
Old July 10th, 2003, 06:15 PM
Passenger

Go to the website hoteldiscounts.com. They had some really good deals for staying in the French Quarter, which is close to the pier. Also hotwire.com has some good prices. hoteldiscounts.com at least lets you look at amenities, see pics, etc.

Enjoy your cruise! We go in September out of New Orleans.

Old July 10th, 2003, 08:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

I also stayed at the New Orleans Marriott on Canal Street. The rates at this hotel and many others also depend on the time of year. Frankly, I found when I called the hotel (I tried to call the hotel directly and I believe I got the same reservation group of people as when I called the 800 number, and this usually does not happen), the rates were not that much different from online discount rates at some of the websites already noted.

The New Orleans Marriott on Canal Street has two towers. The one we stayed in is called something like the River Tower (I assume most rooms face the River). Also, there are various categories of rooms. The basic two categories are With a View and Without a View. The Without View rooms may be the lower floors and/or rooms with obtructed views.

We paid $219 per night plus taxes (tax is about 13 %). I beleive we initially got Convention rate and/or Corporate rate, but I also called another time and the rates were about the same.

I enjoyed staying at the Marriott but I thought the bathroom was small. Since we were going to be at the hotel for 6 nights, I looked at the room prior to accepting it. The third room was the best. We stayed in room 3133, a corner room on the 31 St floor facing the Mississippi and the French Quarter.

In fact, early Saturday morning, I just happen to look out the window and noticed the Carnival HOLIDAY sailing to the New Orleans Port. Had The Conquest sailed from New Orleans, I would have probably seen her on Sunday morning. I did not see the Pier from my room, but some rooms should be able to see the Pier.

Certainly check out prices directly from the hotel and on the internet.

I bad planned to walk to the Pier one day while I was in New Orleans and just never did. I doubt that you will want to walk with your luggage to the Pier, so you really have a selection of so many hotels. The Sheraton was less costly than the Marriott when I did my pricing. Also, I believe I read that the Sheraton provided transportation from the Airport, but check this out, if you are interested.

I believe most hotels charge for parking.

The Taxi ride from the Marriott to the New Orleans Pier was set at $6 (probably for two passengers and then the rate probably goes up for the additonal passsengers). The ride should have only taken about 5-8 minutes but we had to stop and wait at the Train track while a real long train went by.

There was another post where someone mentioned some other hotels closer to the Pier than the Marriott and Sheraton. The Hilton is probably closer to the Pier as we passed it in the taxi. I know there is also the J W Marriott on Canal Street; I was told this hotel was preivously a Le Meredian Hotel.

I was told the Pier is on Julia Street.

Happy Sailing
Old July 13th, 2003, 12:36 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to YankeesBrat

I haven't gone yet, but we have a room booked at the Doubletree, $89 a night... it's not that far from the docks, so I hear have fun!

Old July 21st, 2003, 08:40 PM
Sandra Cherry

Default Re: Re: Suggestions for hotels close to New Orleans Port

Cruise Date Dec. 21 to 28th....Is pier close to downtown New Orleans???
Where do you park and what hotels are close to the pier????? How much parking$$$

Any suggestions will be helpful...Thanks..
Old July 22nd, 2003, 08:43 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Suggestions for hotels close to New Orleans Port

We ended up booking the Hilton Garden Inn. It's three blocks from from pier one. The hotel was built in 2000 and looks pretty nice. I paid $130/night which includes breakfast and taxes. Parking here is $16/day and you park yourself. The pier parking is $12/day. A good site to visit is www.portno.com. This site lists five parking options and gives driving directions/maps etc.

Imagination 96
Destiny 97
Holiday 99
Fascination 01
Rotterdam 02
Conquest 07/03
Conquest 02/29/04
Old July 22nd, 2003, 03:24 PM
Beginner

We just stayed at the hotel d' arms in the french quarter and it was great. They have a special deal as many do in the french quarter that if you call early like 7am of the same night only you want to stay and the rate is 79.00, it was wonderful very quaint.
Hope this helps
Old July 26th, 2003, 04:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

The Pier is certanly in downtown New Orleans. The Hilton is rather close. I'm sure many of the Hilton's rooms face the Pier. I've seen some pictures of the Conquest at the Pier and those people sailing the the steamboat Natchez along the MIssissippi. were able to see the Conquest or the HOLIDAY when they were in Port.

I sailed on the CONQUEST on June 23 from Gulfport, so I missed seeing the Conquest in New Orleans.

As I recall some ad or someone mentioned that the Hotel D'Armes offered free parking while you are staying at the hotel. Of course, speical promotions can change. Some hotels do provide complimentary breakfast each morning.
Old July 28th, 2003, 03:44 PM
clem

Just stayed at the Doubletree. Too far to walk to pier, especially with luggage. Wasn't totally impressed with the hotel. Would try the Embassy Suites next time.
Old July 28th, 2003, 06:49 PM
Captain

We just booked the Hilton Riverside...it's attached to the Riverwalk and looks fairly close to the Piers...I HOPE. Was a little expensive but with AARP came down to $260...we're splitting it 3 ways so not too bad. We wanted to be close to everything and it looks like we are. Not sure how far from where we go to board....does anyone else know???? I was told it's 3 blocks from French Qtr and next door to Aquarium...so must be pretty close. Is there more than one pier to watch for, and if so which one does the Conquest dock at?

Sensation

Old July 29th, 2003, 01:01 PM
Ruth Lancaster

Has anyone stayed at the Monteleone Hotel in the French Quarter?