Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 7th, 2003, 08:09 PM
Yeoman

Default Conquest / Cruisemate news

The Carnival Conquest will return to her original homeport of New Orleans for weekly Western Caribbean cruises starting July 13. High river levels combined with low hanging power wires caused an unsafe situation in the spring, forcing Carnival to move the ship to Gulfport on March 9. The final cruise from Gulfport will sail July 6.
Sponsored Links
Old July 7th, 2003, 09:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Conquest / Cruisemate news

I just looked at Carnival's website containing info about THE CONQUEST.

http://www.carnival.com/featuredupdate.asp?id=159

There could be delays the first day again from New Orleans. Happy Sailing. As other passengers have suggested, arrive at the Port by around 10 a.m. ,if you can, to board. Even if the Ship is late, you will be there early. Of oourse, I hope the Ship is on time.
Old July 8th, 2003, 06:56 PM
Yeoman

Like to travel;
Hope it is to.Hope all the folks on this week's cruise have a great cruise and a smooth transfer back to there ports.
I got that information from Carnival's web site too. I was hoping that The Conquest would remain in Gulfport , but...., since its not, thats fine too ! We're New Orleans bound !

Happy Cruising;
David
46 days and counting
Old July 9th, 2003, 08:16 AM
Cruise Maniac

Frankly, I never thoughtt THE CONQUEST would return to New Orleans in July.

It did not seem that the Mississippi River level went down to any extent while we were there. In fact, we had one particular downpour on Thursday, June 19 that the streets in the French Quarter were flooded. Canal Street had about 3 feel of water for a few hours. Then the first pumping began, and the water receeded about 5 feet from the front of the hotels along Canal Street (specifically the area at the New Orleans Marriott and across the street at the New Orleans Sheraton) and then within a few hours, most of the streets were dry. I understand four inches of rain fell within one hour and caused a real mess.

On Tuesday, we took the paddleboat Natchez for a two hour cruise. We noticed the electrical lines across the River and fetl The Conquest could not pass under them.
From our hotel room, The New Orleans Marriott, early Saturday morning, I noticed the Carnival HOLIDAY sailing to the New Orleans Port. She has been sailing out of New Orleans.
Old July 10th, 2003, 07:47 AM
sls

I'm hoping the Conquest stays in Gulfport, it's a much easier drive for me coming from the Florida panhandle. Gulfport seems to have everything going smoothly. Why keep the guessing game of the river being up or down. It's hurricane/tropical storm season and there has been alot of rain along the gulf coast this year.

sls