Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 13th, 2003, 12:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Ship Time vs. Real Time

I read somewhere that the ships always run on ship time and to disregard any local time zones (don't change your watch). So, if I am arranging a private tour in Belize and the ship arrives at 8AM is that ship time or Belize time? What time do I tell the tour company that I am arriving?

Karen

Carnival Glory- 8/16/03
Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2003, 07:05 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Ship Time vs. Real Time

Karen...Funny you should ask. I recall when we sailed on the Norway back in January, the steward changed the time (forward) once we arrived in the area of the Eastern Caribbean where the time zone changes. She also changed it back after we left St. Thomas heading for the Bahamas. So we proceeded to reset our watches accordingly. Apparently on the Norway at least they don't remain on "ship time". I'm unable to recall if they did that on other cruises or not. I guess the zone change in Belize is just the reverse, with the clocks being turned back an hour. This is all assuming your cruise begins in the EDT zone. Jack

Post Edited (07-13-03 07:26)
Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old July 13th, 2003, 01:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Carnival adjusts to land time -- going to Mexican Riviera, you pop the clock one hour forward the first day, then another as you head farther south, then back to 2 hours. So by the end of 7 days you don't know what the hell time it is :-)

Harry
Old July 13th, 2003, 02:51 PM
First Mate

Each ship does it differently as it is up to the Captian whether or not he wants to change times to conform to local zones or stay on the time zone from which the ship sailed.
Old July 13th, 2003, 04:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks! I guess I'll just give the tour operator the time listed and with our ship name they should be able to find us- hopefully!

Karen

Carnival Glory- 8/16/03
Old July 13th, 2003, 07:00 PM
Admiral

I have never seen Carnival adjust time for local time in the Caribbean The Carnival ships I have been on, (and thats almost all of them) always keep their time set on the time from the homeport.
Jim