Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 13th, 2003, 10:23 AM
jaycee

Default Ship's infirmary

Does anyone know if the ship's doctor can actually dispense antibiotics? I am traveling with children, and my peditrician said that if they need anything, they can go to the ship's doctor. Also, I am allergic to almost all antibiotics except erytromyicin. Will the doctor be able to give me that if I come down with a sore throat or something? Hopefully we will all be healthy, but these are things I always think about! Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2003, 11:24 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Ship's infirmary

jaycee....while I'm reasonably certain that a ship's dispensary would stock antibiotics, it would be rather costly if you had to use the services. Wouldn't it be better if your M.D. gave you an Rx for erytromyicin prior to your cruise, and the childrens' pediatrician did the same for them with a broad-spectrum Rx? I would think that your family M.D.s would be willing to do this to give you peace of mind. Of course, if you or the children require injectibles then it would probably be better if you did consult the ship's doctor. On the other hand, I have no medical training and my advice might be worth exactly $0.00. Jack

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old July 13th, 2003, 01:17 PM
MichelleM

The ship's doctor should have no problem getting antibiotics for your kids. I would think they must stock the regular antibiotics because seeing some type of infection (especially ear infections from being in the water so much is a regular occurance).
In your case I would see if your doc would give you a script for that particular antibiotic that you can take along. So if the ship's doctor says you do need the antibiotics then you have the script and are ready, if you don't need them lucky you.

Also if this is something you are concerned about I would get travel insurance as those trips to the ship's doctor are not overly cheap.
Old July 13th, 2003, 04:28 PM
Admiral

Yes, the ships doctor can dispense Rx's. If you have health insurance it would be covered BUT you'll have to pay up front to the cruiselines first and send in an out of network claim form into your medical insurance carrier to get the money back.

I work as a medical claims examiner and their fees aren't much different then your local doctor either. You will just have to pay them in full and get reimbursement from your medical insurance carrier.

Post Edited (07-13-03 18:02)
Old July 13th, 2003, 05:02 PM
anita kennedy

Default Re: Re: Ship's infirmary

we had to use the infirmay on the conquest. It cost $71 I was pleasantly surprised. That was for IV fluids and a few thing in the fluid. I didn't find that high.
Also one of the girls with us went down there and the nurse told her it was $50 to see the doctor. She said that was okay, she saw the doctor, talked to him about her sea sickness and he gave her some samples of something that seemed to work for her. Also she didn't get charged a penny. So I guess it is what your condition is. I would not be afraid to use them if needed. Also it does go on your sign and sail card. thought that was kind of cute.
Old July 13th, 2003, 05:05 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Ship's infirmary

Another option is if it's sea sickness is to NOT see the doctor, save the 50.00 or whatever and get dramamine from the purser's office. We did that last cruise and it didn't cost us anything.

Old July 13th, 2003, 05:31 PM
Denny

My wife had to see the Dr. on our last cruise for an infection. The Dr. checked my wife out and issued antibiotics. Total cost was around $60.00. Pretty cheap as far as we were concerned. I don't think it would have been any cheaper if she had seen her own Dr. We found the cost to be reasonable.
Old July 15th, 2003, 12:07 AM
Carol Pullen

Default Re: Re: Ship's infirmary

I have visited the ship doctor. I had an astma attack while on a cruise in Europe and could not find a doctor on land while doing the excursion so went as soon as I got back on ship. Was given an inhaler. Total bill was under $100.00. Money well spent.

Carol