Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 14th, 2003, 08:51 AM
Beginner

Default What's the kids program like on Carnival?

Hi,

I originally posted this question under the "family cruising" section, but thought I would give it a shot here, since it's specifically a Carnival question also.

We are traveling on the Glory on 8/23 with our 8 year old daughter (only child). As we will do many of our activities as a family, I am sure she will want to do some of the activities in the Camp Carnival.

Specifically, what activities do they offer for a child this age? Also, I have read that 9 year olds can sign themselves in and out of the programs? Is this true and will this apply to her (she is 8 1/2 and I just worry they may put her into the 9 and older group). This will be our 7th cruise, her second, and I could not imagine her trying to find her way anywhere in a large ship like that. I have enough trouble finding my way around sometimes! ! I would not allow her to sign in and out on her own if this were the case. Also, do they have pagers on Carnival, as we had on Disney, just in case? With such a large ship, I want to make sure I can be notified at any moment.

Also, being that it is in late August, and many children will be in school, will there be many kids. I can remember on our last cruise (Disney), we did many things together, but if there was an activity she wanted to participate in, she went and enjoyed it.

Thanks, any input is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old July 14th, 2003, 10:04 AM
clem

Default Re: What's the kids program like on Carnival?

We were on the Triumph last year, and my daughter was 9 years old. Yes, that age can sign themselves out of Camp Carnival, but we told our daughter that she had to stay there until we came to get her. We used Motorola Walkie-talkies, and she would just call us whenever she was ready to leave. I did not want her wandering the ship by herself! They had a variety of activities--bingo, jewelry making, treasure hunts, different games, sundae making, disco get togethers, etc. She had a good time, but did not want to do ALL the activites, just the ones that she was interested in. Hope this helps--have a great cruise!
Old July 14th, 2003, 02:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

I haven't been to empressed with carnival kids clubs. I think Disney has the best for kids from potty trained to 13 or 14. The Glory is a new ship so it may have more programs. I have been on the Victory and the Spirit. The Spirit was geared more to very small kids. Have Fun Cruisin!!!
Old July 14th, 2003, 07:12 PM
Beginner

Thank you for your input.

One more question: How strict are they as far as enforcing age requirements for Camp Carnival. She is 8 (9 in Feb.). Would she be in the 6-8 year old group for sure, since she is not 9 yet?

Thanks again.
Old July 15th, 2003, 07:00 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: What's the kids program like on Carnival?

She will be in the 6-8. They base it on their existing ages....the only time they seem to let them possibly be in a different age group is if they go with a younger family member.

Doug

Victory 4/13/03
Old July 15th, 2003, 08:43 AM
Passenger

I was on the Triumph with my 4 children in April. I had kids in both categories you mentioned.

My 10 year old was allowed to sign herself out during the day. When they sign out they are required only to write down where it is that they are going so the parent can be notified. Of course it is entirely up to you how you handle this if your child is in this group. My kids did not do much of the Camp during the day and we spent most of this time as a family but it was a nice option if she did see something she wanted to do she could just go and check it out without me having to bring my other kids across the ship somewhere.

At night - after 10:00PM this was not the case. The adult who signs them in needs to come back and sign them out. If your child is there before 10:00PM then you need to get ther by this time to officially sign them up for the night stuff.

As far as the age category thing.....I had heard that they are rather strict on sticking to this by exact age at time of sailing. More so during "peak" weeks when there are a lot of kids on board. My son was 2 1/2 months shy of turning 6 when we sailed and they did allow hime to jump up to the group with the 6-8's. One of my other daughters was 6 and in that group so that may have been why.
Old July 15th, 2003, 11:31 AM
Cruise Maniac

We have 3 kids and the older 2 (6 and 9) were in some of the activities, and really liked it. Our 9-year old could check herself in and out, but didn't, although on some activities, they roam the ship(scavenger hunt, this game they ask other passengers questions). Believe me, the kids learn their way around fast.

They were strict on age grouping, but I wouldn't worry about that , there may be other kids in the same predicament.
Old July 16th, 2003, 09:05 AM
Beginner

we were on the sensation last month. the pagers are only for the 2-5 year group.
Old July 17th, 2003, 08:57 AM
Passenger

Well, only the 2-5 age group parents are REQUIRED to get pagers. Any parent can rent the walkies, though. Even though your child may be 9, you can still forbid them to sign themselves out, which we did with our 9-year-old twins. It worked out fine.

Our sons, age 12 and twins, age 9, had a wonderful time at Camp Carnival. They picked and chose what activities they wanted to do, and were totally engaged in Camp Carnival. They had scavenger hunts, "coketail" parties, all kinds of games, crafts, PS/2 time, movies, etc. Any kid who didn't have a good time was not a kid who was going to have a good time anywhere, IMHO.

JO
Old July 20th, 2003, 10:41 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: What's the kids program like on Carnival?

Thanks for all your feedback, etc.

I was on the Carnival website and was showing my 8 1/2 year old daughter what kind of activities they had for her (they only listed a few). She saw the 9-11 activities and thought they seemed much more fun.

I am certain she will have fun with whatever activities they have.

Samantha
Old July 20th, 2003, 12:18 PM
Katrina

Too bad, SamathaMaria. We are traveling with 3 kids 9, 10, 11 on September 27. My fiancee's daughter did Camp Carnival when she was 5 and said she never wanted to leave. My 11 yr old is a bit precocious and I don't think she'll enjoy being with her younger siblings (we are getting married on baord). However, we have about 30 family members and friends that said they would be more than willing to spend time with the kids.