Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 16th, 2003, 01:43 PM
Passenger

Default Holiday Cruise Sept 22 from New Orleans

Anyone going on this cruise? My husband and I have talked about going on a cruise since early March. We finally have the some extra money and found this cheap cruise. It will be the first for me and 2nd for him. This is will also be for our anniversary.

I've read enough reviews to see that the Holiday isn't the "newest" boat or probably not the "grandest" boat. But we are looking forward to the stops in Cozumel and Calica/Playa Del Carmen as much as anything.

I made the reservations through Carnival and they faxed me some information on the shore excursions and directions to the boat. But nothing on formal dining, tickets, luggage handling, anything like that. Will I get it in the mail? (I almost hate to call back and a silly question like that). Also, we are debating how much money to take aboard? I don't drink very much and husband rarely drinks anything but beer. So I anticpate a somewhat low drink tab, plus we had a friend to tell us to buy a bottle of liquor from the gift shop and make our own. Its a 5 day cruise. I'm just curious.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2003, 06:49 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Holiday Cruise Sept 22 from New Orleans

Hi, we just returned from the Holiday July 5 sailing. You will receive all the info you need with your tickets. Don't worry about calling your Carnival CC with questions.....I called lots of times before my tickets arrived, and was always treated with respect. Security is very tight, and you can't carry on luggage more than 11 x 17. This is b/c your luggage needs to be able to fit through their x-ray machine. I saw lots of people carrying on wheeled on luggage that would be around the size of a pilots case. We carried on a garment bag (folded in half it fit nicely through the machine), and bags approx. the size of a school backpack. The bigger pieces were checked in at the pier (we drove). There were porters everywhere. They will check your birth certificate and ticket and get your tags to fit on the luggage (lists your cabin #). We tipped him $10 for about 7 pieces of luggage.

Personally, I carried about $250 in cash, and my husband carried about $400. We usually have travelers checks, but our bank was out of them! Not so good. Our cash was on us every minute, never left alone. The ship has sail and sign cards which will serve as your on board credit card. You will be asked where you want charges to go...credit or debit card. Your tips will automatically be charged in the beginning (about $48 per person per day). You can adjust up or down. You can pay off your sail and sign card before disembarking, part of it, or just leave it alone and it will automatically be charged to the card you set it up with. The card also serves as your ID to get on and off the ship. Your digital pic will be attached to it, and they will check it every time. Your formal dining info will also be listed on the card.

In Mexico, I paid cash for all purchases. I felt funny about using my credit card b/c I wanted to remain anonymous.

We don't drink much, either. All drinks are charged to your sail and sign card with a 15% gratuity added. I think our drink bill was under $25!

HTH

Old July 16th, 2003, 06:51 PM
Passenger

CORRECTION ON THE TIPS: We were charged about $48 per person for the week, not per day. Sorry!

Old July 18th, 2003, 07:50 AM
Passenger

Thanks for the info...... I can't wait to get the information from Carnival!

CB
Old July 18th, 2003, 09:51 AM
ASAP

CB: As far as buying liquor from the gift shop to save money on drinks....any liquor purchased from the gift shop (or in port) will be "held" until your last day at sea. That is why you read so much about people "smuggling". If you are driving in and your hubby only drinks a little beer, I suggest you take a 12 pack and wrap it tightly in the garbage bag and pack it in your checked luggage (preferably a hard side suitcase) along with one of those small 6pk coolers...which can easily be kept filled with ice (either from the bucket of ice your cabin steward brings twice a day, or from the Lido deck). If you are flying in, just pick up a 12 pack and pack it in your checked luggage before you board the cruise. Remember, it must be in the checked luggage. If you try to bring it on with your carry ons, it will be confiscated. As far as cash, I carry about $50 in one dollar bills for little things like tipping when they bring the room service and throwing ones at the piano player for requests. Everything on board will be covered with your sail and sign card. I have charged many things in Cozumel without a problem. Cozumel is very tourist friendly and most places take credit cards.

Yes, the Holiday is an older ship...but she is a good one. You will have a great time.
Old July 18th, 2003, 10:33 AM
Passenger

Thanks...... I'm sure we'll have a great time! I can't wait!!!

BTW, Anyone ever stay at the Prytania Park Hotel in New Orleans?

Thanks!
Old July 18th, 2003, 10:51 PM
Hartensia

Hi, nice to meet ya. I will also be sailing on this cruise. Im traveling Amtrak however, I didn't want to drive or pay $50 for parking during the cruise. Oh, by the way Amtrak has a special for Carnival Cruises 15 - 25% discount. See yall (Im from Texas can you tell?) there.