Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 19th, 2003, 10:20 AM
kelly_girl64

Default Symptoms after the cruise ??

I just got off my 1st cruise 2 days ago( it lasted 5 days) and although while on the ship I was not aware of much motion...some but not much now I find that I can not stop the rocking motion feeling I have been having on land.Is this too strange or has someone else experienced this before too?
I am the only one in my family who feels this way.
Sponsored Links
Old July 19th, 2003, 10:33 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Symptoms after the cruise ??

It hapeens to me every time for at least 3-5 days till you get your land legs back. My wife on the other hand has no problem with this.
Old July 19th, 2003, 10:44 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to NDalfrey

I had the very same thing. My husband thought I was just having cruise withdrawals...haha...I thought I was going crazy. This will not stop me, I am ready to go back and do it all over again.

Carnival Elation
Old July 19th, 2003, 10:52 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to CarnivalCruiserA Send a message via MSN to CarnivalCruiserA

Yeah that's how I felt too for a couple days after my last cruise last week! My mom felt the same way too... like we were still on a ship. I think it's normal though..?

Old July 19th, 2003, 01:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

It's normal -- your eqilibrium got used to the ship movement, now it needs to get used to not moving. I take a Bonine for the first day or two after, and that seems to ease the transition.

Harry
Old July 19th, 2003, 04:34 PM
Admiral

It is the first symptom of PCD. The ear is the center of your sense of balance and of motion. It is also incidentally the organ which is most directly involved with sensing the ships ambient environment. In the absence of the sounds which are unmistakably "ship," your senses attempt to fill in the blanks. Hence, you feel as if something is missing. The land "doesn't move right" as the mutant said in Waterworld. That's the nub of the physiological phenomenon.

But on a metaphysical level, what's really happening is that you're being called by the soul of your next ship. My advice is that you book your next cruise as soon as possible, though you may not yet know who she is. Booking the cruise will resolve her identity, and might give your life onshore a focal point. Nothing so thoroughly or quickly cures PCD like anticipation of the next cruise.

Steve--already Enchanted with the next cruise. And after that I'll be inspired for the next.

Until Enchantment.
Until Inspiration
Sensation 2/03

Post Edited (07-19-03 16:36)
Old July 19th, 2003, 08:54 PM
Delores

I've also experienced that wobbly feeling, & it's not fun. Just take a Bonine for a day or so & it will go away.
Old July 20th, 2003, 10:28 AM
Passenger

I had the very same feeling. There is supposed to be a vitamin that you can take right before and during your cruise that will help eliminate the problem altogether. I will check at work to find out which one it is. I work around drs. So, we'll see...
Old July 20th, 2003, 10:37 AM
CalifHRGal

This is too funny! I thought I was losing my mind after my first cruise this past May. Funny thing was that I didn't feel any of the swaying on the ship while we were cruising until about a day after I got home. I'm planning my next cruise and will take everyone's advice next time!!
Old July 20th, 2003, 02:52 PM
jamie gunter

Yep happened to me on two out of three cruises. I dont know why but did not have any problem when we got back in Feb on our last one. The ship was really rocky too! Who knows, maybe I am getting used to it. I have no problems the whole time on board, so who knows!
Old July 20th, 2003, 07:27 PM
Admiral

It's called "sea legs" and everyone gets it. I remember when Hubby was in the navy he said he'd get it alot.

Old July 20th, 2003, 07:51 PM
The Scott

First cruise I felt the same way, but you'll be fine in a few days. If not call your doctor and he might tell you to take some motion sickness pills to help.

The cruises after I took Bonine (I think thats how you spell it) for motion and never felt any on the ship or after vacation.

I too as another post said only had cruise withdrawls and we have already booked for next year and if we can manage to afford it and work it in would like to do a short one before then.
Old July 21st, 2003, 02:31 PM
Passenger

We just returned from a five day cruise two weeks ago, and none of us had any problems on the boat, just when we got off! We were dizzy, had headaches, and just felt wobbly for about three days. It went away, and now we are all back to normal. I am trying to talk my husband into another cruise next year for our 20th anniversary (w/o the kids this time I remember feeling wobbly after our first cruise in 1984 that lasted a few days.

Old July 21st, 2003, 03:29 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to YankeesBrat

Happened to me last year... asked a pharmacist and they said to try to get a perscription of anti-vert from my doctor.... it worked- felt better in a day! Good luck

Old July 21st, 2003, 09:19 PM
Admiral

It's perfectly normal. The only "cure" is to book another cruise ASAP!!

donna

Old July 22nd, 2003, 08:16 AM
srd

Happened to me last year for around a week. Turned out I had some type of sinus infection which I didn't know and as soon as doctor gave me meds felt better. I thought I was goin crazy in the supermarket and floor was swaying, at work everywhere. Have a great time. We are leaving next week for 2nd one.
Old July 22nd, 2003, 04:13 PM
Admiral

Seriously, I have felt the effect more after getting off amusement rides than off a ship or boat. Maybe my physiology is weird. But my wife says she only felt it during shore excursions, and on the first day after disembarking. It must not have been too bad--cruises number 2 and 3 are coming up all too slowly.

Steve

Until Enchantment.
Until Inspiration
Sensation 2/03
Old July 23rd, 2003, 10:52 AM
turkeybaster

oh my god, that is NOT normal, there is something seriously wrong, perhaps you picked up some foreign infection from another port...I'd RUN to your ENT ASAP!
Old July 23rd, 2003, 12:16 PM
PattiM

I got land sickness so bad after my first cruise it was almost impossible to do anything. I was walking into walls and if I would sit in a chair I would start rocking. It did go away after about 5 days. But I had such a good time on my cruise I will go through it all over again.
Old July 23rd, 2003, 01:32 PM
Admiral

I get it after every cruise. Don't listen to the inflammatory poster above, it will go away in a few days. If it persists for over a week or if symptoms are keeping you from going about your normal everyday activities, then see a doctor.

Cheers,
Michelle B.