Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 27th, 2003, 01:09 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Sign & Sail Card - Souvenir

I was on the Fascination May 25. Upon disembarking my S&S card was taken away. I was very disappointed because I like to keep it as a Souvenir. This was the first time this had happened to me and this was my 8th cruise.

Does anyone know why Carnival is keeping them now or was it just a fluke?

Next time I plan to pretend to lose my card early in the cruise so I can make sure and keep one as a souvenir! !

Virginia
Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2003, 01:25 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Sign & Sail Card - Souvenir

My last two cruises with carnival, I came back with our sail and sign cards. no one ever asked us for them and I don't see what good it would do carnival to keep them since your name is on them. My last cruise was in march of this year so this happened to you after that so they may have change it, but to me that is just plan stupid. I too keep mine as a souvenir so thanks for the heads up, if they ask for mine will disembarking I'll tell them I destroyed it the night before.

Old July 27th, 2003, 04:51 AM
Yeoman

We to keep ours as a keep-sake. We have a cruise room just for all of our pics and what-knots we bring back.And the Sail & Sign card is a part of the collection from each cruise. I've never heard of Carnival taking them up.
Yea, good Idea Virgina, we'll accidently loose ours too. Thanks for the heads up.

Happy Cruising to all;
David
27-days and counting
Conquest
Old July 27th, 2003, 08:47 AM
jamie gunter

I have never had them take ours and we just cruised in Febuary. Thats wierd!
Old July 27th, 2003, 10:08 AM
Passenger

My wife and I were on the Legend last month and they didn't ask us for our S&S card when we left the ship.

Walter

Old July 27th, 2003, 10:39 AM
Admiral

Virginia,
Who took your card? I would NOT surrender my S&S card to anyone, it is yours and not theirs. We have never been asked for it and even if we did we would not give it to them as they have no need for it. The cabin locks change so your card cannot open that cabin the next week. We have all of ours and they are nice reminders of our cruises.
Jim

Old July 27th, 2003, 12:42 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to CarnivalCruiserA Send a message via MSN to CarnivalCruiserA
Default Re: Re: Sign & Sail Card - Souvenir

I was just on one and I still have my card. They didn't ask anyone for their car, just to slide it through the "ping pong machine" as they call it, and than it's all yours.
Old July 27th, 2003, 02:26 PM
Admiral

My February cruise I didn't have to give it back. I still have it here as a souvenir.

I wouldn't give it back if they asked as who is to not use it and charge more or do something with it and then my credit card is charged. What a hassle that would be.
Plus it was our room key so who knows what they could do there.

Post Edited (07-27-03 14:28)
Old July 27th, 2003, 03:47 PM
Admiral

I have never heard of asking for the sail / sign card back. We keep them and put them with the photos in an album.
The locks are recoded after each cruise---maybe in Virginia's case they had a problem with the lock and just wanted to be sure they had the s /s cards for that cabin back in their hands.---Not likely that Virginia could sneak back to her old cabin mid- week ---but--
Old July 27th, 2003, 04:36 PM
First Mate

On the Carnival Holiday, our sail and sign cards was not our key entry locks. It was actually this plastic white things that had holes encoded in it.

Old July 27th, 2003, 05:21 PM
Danp

weird, i juts got off fascination the 21, and i got to keep mine, did they take everyones?
Old July 27th, 2003, 05:45 PM
Passenger

We just sailed the Elation on June 22nd. Our Sign and Sail Card was our room key and we got to keep ours!
Old July 27th, 2003, 06:26 PM
rburns

I keep mine as a souvenir and glue a small magnet on the back. Use them on the fridge so I see them everyday to bring back memories.
Old July 27th, 2003, 07:26 PM
anita kennedy

What a good idea. I have only one (one cruise) but I will do that and hopefully before long have some more to go with it. You don't mind if I copy your idea?
Old July 27th, 2003, 07:41 PM
rburns

Not at all! Copied it from a friend myself! Have one corner of my fridge I use my on.
Old July 27th, 2003, 09:36 PM
susancruzs

Pretty strange! Only thing I had happen was on Costa, you had to use it that final morning to get off the ship, which caught some people off guard even though they announced it and put it in the daily paper!

I started saving mine, too, I used to throw them out!

Susie
Old July 27th, 2003, 11:41 PM
b.krewson

I save my S&S card with the photos. I like the idea of using it on the frig. Does any body else have a different way of using their S&S.

Please let us all know

Brad

Old July 28th, 2003, 06:57 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to mcFROG2

Ok here's an idea....we liked the "hat lady" on one of our cruises..you know the crazy hat with all the drink swizzle straws stuck in it...so my wife had an idea and hot glued all of my old sail and sign cards to a straw hat for me..its deffinately a conversation piece and a nice reminder of where all of our spare money has gone....feel free to have a craft session and make yours today...or for $50,000.00 i'll mail you mine (we figure thats about how much we've invested in those cards....)...if my camera worked right i'd take a picture of it and post....we'll see if i can get that done......

Frog

Old July 29th, 2003, 02:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

Well, let me say she had a huge hand full of cards when I went through. She said something about my card not beeping. But with all the noise and commotion I didnt hear if it did or not. She had actually taken the card from me to put it in the machine herself. If it werent for the fact that I had just broken the handle on my carry on and I was literally having to "Carry" it off, I may have tried to argue with her.

Great idea with the fridge magnets!

Virginia
Old July 29th, 2003, 09:06 AM
CruiseCactus

The card actually does belong to Carnival but I still have mine from my last three cruises. The locks on the cabins do not change. your card is deactivated once your cruise is over.
Old July 30th, 2003, 07:16 AM
Admiral

My wife and I kept ours after our February cruise, our first. They are still in our passport case. She is an avid stamping hobbiest, who sometimes makes decorative magnets. I'll pass along that suggestion to her. Thanks.

Steve

Until Enchantment.
Until Inspiration
Sensation 2/03
Old July 30th, 2003, 02:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

I sailed on the Grand Princess western carribean 3-17-02. and they took everyones card as they left the ship. It was my first crusie so I thought it was standard procedure since the 9-11 attacks 6 months prior. I wanted to keep it as a souvineer too.
We are going on the Pride 11-30-03. I hope I get to keep this one.
Oh I'm not the Virginia from the original post.
Old July 30th, 2003, 03:35 PM
Captain

I have done back to backs on several cruises on several different cruise lines including Carnival. We have always changed rooms and stayed on the same ship. We have kept every sign and sail card. They do give you a new card even if you stay in the same room. Now seeing I was still on the same ship for a second week and still had my card from the first week, if they were worried about me using the card from the first week they would have taken it. They have never asked to keep any of my sign and sail cards. They do deactivate the cards. I have received all the cards for the second week from the pursers desk, with the exception of Princess where they left me my new card in my room the final night of the first week of cruising. That card did not work until after a certain time on the first day of the new cruise week.

I have been on 5 different cruise lines and done back to backs on 3 of them. I have never had a request to keep the cards.
Old July 31st, 2003, 08:59 AM
Passenger

On my last cruise, Sun Princess, they took every ones card as we got off the ship.
Other cruises they did not take the card.

http://www.cruisemates.com/countdown...=22&hour=16:00
Splendor of the Sea 4/5/1997
Sun Princess 4/15/2002
Carnival Glory 4/17/2004
NCL 6/4/2006
NCL 6/22/2008
Old July 31st, 2003, 09:11 AM
Danp

So, If I keep my old room key, and go BACK on the Fascination, I can open up my old room? Thats not too safe! Also, I keep my Costa Atlantica card, no problem... The only time I was requested to return it was on Majesty of the Seas for my room key...
Old July 31st, 2003, 11:05 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Sign & Sail Card - Souvenir

A room key will work, your sail & sign card will not if that is what doubles as your room key.
Jim