Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 27th, 2003, 09:27 PM
Passenger

Default Insurance or No Insurance

I am on a popular site that is offering a great price for our first cruise. I have found another site that is offering comparable prices but I am wondering about the insurance. Icruise has insurance tagged on to the price (of course you can decline) and mytravel does not...any thoughts? How important is the insurance? How many of you select it?
Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2003, 09:33 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Insurance or No Insurance

With further reading using the search option, I have my answer! Thanks
Old July 29th, 2003, 01:13 AM
Carol Pullen

Default Re: Re: Insurance or No Insurance

Hope what you read convinced you to get the insurance. I never did when younger but after reading some of the horror stories of what can happen and the cost of being air lifted from a ship, if you become seriously ill, it seems cheap now. We are going on a 12 day cruise in October and the insurance was under $80.00 per person.

Carol
Old July 29th, 2003, 04:07 PM
Admiral

I bought my insurance via travelex insurance online for our upcoming 7 night cruise in March and it was only 105 for the 3 of us and it includes medical, trip interruption, cancellation, luggage lost, pre existing stuff, and even unemployment! I advise to get it for the little bit of money it costs.

Post Edited (07-31-03 19:58)
Old July 29th, 2003, 06:35 PM
Passenger

I am definately getting insurance!!! Thanks everyone!
Old July 29th, 2003, 09:53 PM
HOSKI

We always buy our insurance from CSA because it is cheaper and they handled our one claim great. For older people it is usually cheaper to purchase from the cruise line.
Old July 30th, 2003, 02:22 PM
First Mate

Wow. I never even looked at it that way. I have booked my last three cruises without insurace because I book them within weeks before my departure and I always clear my schedule and I assume nothing can go wrong. But now I am wondering if I have been making a mistake. Here's a question that is bothering me I hope someone can answer. My next trip in out of New Orleans on August 21. Of course this is Hurricane season. If the ship cannot leave the port due to the weather and I didn't purchase insurance and the trip is cancelled do I loose out on all the money I paid?

Old July 31st, 2003, 10:31 AM
CruiseCactus

Default Re: Re: Insurance or No Insurance

If the trip is canceled the cruise line will refund your money.
Old July 31st, 2003, 06:39 PM
meangreen

Default Re: Re: Re: Insurance or No Insurance

Bought ours for 5-day cruise for all 4 family members for $72 total from Travelex. You really can't beat the added peace of mind for the price.
Old July 31st, 2003, 07:43 PM
MichelleM

We got ours from Travelex for our upcoming cruise. Got it for the medical coverage. Our medical insurance doesn't cover us outside of the US but for under $80 it is worth the piece of mind just in case something happens. One visit to the infirmary would bring us out ahead, even if it was just a cut or something simple.

If the cruiseline cancelled the cruise you would get a refund, but if you were already at the port (say flew in a day early) you might get to spend a lovely week in a hurricane soaked area unless you could change your airline ticket.

I can eat the cost of the cruise if need be, I purchase the insurance to cover the unexpected that would happen on the cruise. Medical evacuation from the ship costs $15,000+ and without insurance you need proof you can pay before you are evacuated.

Check out www.insuremytrip.com