Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 27th, 2003, 09:52 PM
Admiral

Default Ground transport N.Y. to Carnival dock

We've been quoted $75 U.S. per person, (more, in our Canadian $$) for ground transport from LaGuaria to the Carnival dock. It sounds a bit ludicrous, and wondered if this is normal, or is there another way around this? There are 3 of us travelling together.

donna

Old July 28th, 2003, 08:31 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Ground transport N.Y. to Carnival dock

Rollerdonna, for that much I'll come to LaGuardia and drive you to the port myself. Unless you have 75 bags, there is no reason you cannot take a taxi from LaGuardia to the West side of Manhattan. Virtually all taxis in NY are full size Fords which should have more than enough room for you bags in the trunk. Cabs are metered so you can't get ripped off on the price.
Old July 29th, 2003, 12:31 AM
Passenger

Should be no more than $35.00 to the Pier from LGA...
Old July 29th, 2003, 09:28 AM
CruiseCactus

Was this price quote from a limo or car service? For three people that's only $25.00 per person. A taxi would probably be less expensive but you have to take into consideration the day and time of your arrival. Getting stuck in heavy traffic will boost the cabfare. I'd look into some of the airport shuttle services for the best deal. You can check on the Internet, SuperShuttle is a good one.
Old July 29th, 2003, 11:03 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Ground transport N.Y. to Carnival dock

I'm planning on taking the super shuttle from the Newark Liberty Airport to the Carnival Pride docked in Manhatten because the Carnival transfers are $74 each and we're paying for 7 family members to go with us on the cruise, one week from tomorrow, August 6th. My TA said Super Shuttle wouldn't take reservations going over to the pier but would take them coming back a week later. Do you think there will be any problem finding a van for 7 when we arrive at the Newark Airport.

Thanks.......
Happy Cruising..........
Old July 29th, 2003, 09:59 PM
Admiral

PapaBill, I'd love to take you up on the offer of a lift! I promise there'd be only 3 bags between us!!

CruiseCactus, that quote was direct from Carnival's shuttle service. We have checked Super Shuttle online and they said to call them when we get there. Isn't this rather risky, waiting till the last minute?

donna

Old July 30th, 2003, 08:37 AM
Admiral

There is always the opportunity to take a taxi if your other transportation doesn't work out.
Old August 1st, 2003, 09:43 AM
Passenger

Rollerdonna, that is ridiculous! Please do not pay these rip-off artists $75.00. That's horrible.

We just returned from the Victory (7/26/03 sailing) and had the most amazing time. We also had to get to Pier 88 from LaGuardia, so I asked a few friends I have in NYC for a recommendation on a town car service; they suggested Carmel. Our driver waited for us in his sedan just outside baggage claim with a sign with our name, and he was very easy to find. It was simple, efficient, and in my opinion a town car service is a better option than a taxi as there's no waiting and a reputable company is reliable and responsible if you are not satisfied.

We arrived at the pier in just under 30 minutes. We paid $31.00 ($27.00 fare + $4.00 bridge toll, not including tip). The fare is the same regardless of the size of your party and it's always $27.00 + toll to the pier from LaGuardia, but on your return, it may be a little more if your flight is in peak hours. I think it maxes out at $34.00 + toll.

Here's their website if you're interested; I would recommend making your reservation over the phone though. We had a great experience, and even used them when we returned to New York for a comfortable, private three-hour tour before going to the airport, and we were able to dictate the NYC sights we wanted to see. The $30/hour rate was incredibly reasonable.

Have a fantastic cruise!!!! I wish we were going back.

- Jen
Old August 1st, 2003, 10:17 AM
First Mate

I'm going on the Carnival Pride next Wednesday to Bermuda from New York and we fly to the Newark Liberty airport. Carnival wanted to charge us $74 each and I'm taking 7 family members with me (paying for all). We were going to take a cab......Do you think this car service runs from Newark Airport?

Anita
Old August 1st, 2003, 11:18 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Ground transport N.Y. to Carnival dock

Hi Buddy!

According to their website, Carmel charges $55 for a Minivan (which you'll need for such a large group; you may even need two if you're bringing lots of luggage) from Newark to Manhattan. So, round trip, one minivan trip is $110 (plus tolls and tip). Total, not per person. That definitely saves a lot of money compared to the Carnival transfer, I like to use a towncar service because it's private, and you just get in and out of the airport so much faster. And, if you really wanted to splurge, you could use a minivan for luggage and the rest of you could take a limousine to the terminal. It would still end up cheaper than the cruise line transfers, and a lot more fun, in my opinion!

Carnival transfer purchasers might have gotten out of the pier and to the airport or Manhattan faster than we did, though. I have no way of knowing that. The Passenger Cruise Ship Terminal is very hectic and busy on debarkation day, and it did take us about 20 minutes to find our driver.

- Jen
Old August 1st, 2003, 01:08 PM
Sienablaze

NYC cabs charge a flat rate from LaGuardia to NYC. It is 35 plus tolls. I wouldn't pay more than that
Old August 2nd, 2003, 08:06 AM
First Mate

Wow - $75 pp is a joke - I am taking a limo from my house to the dock - $100 and I live 90 minutes away ! Take a cab.
Have fun

Larry
Old August 2nd, 2003, 07:55 PM
Admiral

To SS Strider: thanks very much for the tip about Carmel Town Cars, I think that's what we're gonna do. Pays to ask questions!!

donna